We do have depth | The Boneyard

We do have depth

Reaction Score
Looking at the box score confirmed that 9 guys contributed to this win. Yes, Polley was amazing and Whaley was also great with 15 and 13, but Bouk, Sanogo, Adams, Cole, Gaffney, Carlton and Martin also contributed to the W. Bizarre that Martin didn't score after having over 20 last game, but his 7 rebounds certainly helped.

Having 9 guys contribute to a good win certainly feels good and Akok should also return soon. That's depth that we haven't had in a long time.

Reaction Score
I've been surprised how our early season rotation is pretty much the same as it is now. No one has really lost minutes. Which is normally standard operation procedure as you move into conference play.

Reaction Score
Felt bad for Tyrese last night. He was just ice cold shooting. So many shots around the basket that just didn't fall, bricked the free throws.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've been surprised how our early season rotation is pretty much the same as it is now. No one has really lost minutes. Which is normally standard operation procedure as you move into conference play.

Only player who "lost" minutes in the first few games was Jackson. With him injured, these 9 will go. As Akok gets healthy, he'll go from limited minutes to 15-20 minutes.

Not in a bad way, but with a summer injury and a mid-season injury I'm not expecting much from a freshman Jackson the rest of the year. Hope I'm wrong, but I won't be disappointed if he doesn't contribute much.

A healthy Akok and remainder of lineup, gives a 10 man rotation. He's a 4/5 so we know whose minutes he will be cutting in to in order to get his.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Looking at the box score confirmed that 9 guys contributed to this win. Yes, Polley was amazing and Whaley was also great with 15 and 13, but Bouk, Sanogo, Adams, Cole, Gaffney, Carlton and Martin also contributed to the W. Bizarre that Martin didn't score after having over 20 last game, but his 7 rebounds certainly helped.

Having 9 guys contribute to a good win certainly feels good and Akok should also return soon. That's depth that we haven't had in a long time.
Given your zeal for Bouk, this is a particularly solid post.

Reaction Score
One thing I enjoyed was the bench reactions and Bouk’s composure and compassion towards his team mates doing well. To me, this speaks volumes towards his willingness to win. Everyone is buying in.

That culture change is finally happening and those years of drought and angst brought forth buckets of rain. Let’s go!

Reaction Score
We have depth and interchangeable parts. But our outside shooting will continue to be an issue unless a couple of guys can step up with Polley. Whaley, maybe? I kid, I think?
I'm actually pretty optimistic about our shooting. Our 3 point shooting that is. Bouk and Polley can obviously shoot. I've been pretty happy with Adams. He's 3 of 4 in the past 2 games. Cole can shoot a three. Martin was lousy last night, but looked comfortable shooting against DePaul. Maybe Gaff and Akok contribute over time. To me that's 2 good three point shooters and about 3-4 that are ok.

I also think the shooting is improving. Regardless of competition level. I think it's going to continue to improve. More practice. More gametime. Etc...

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We have depth and interchangeable parts. But our outside shooting will continue to be an issue unless a couple of guys can step up with Polley. Whaley, maybe? I kid, I think?
No, you’re correct. Polley is a shooter, as career 40% from 3 says. Whaley’s shot is smooth with a solid release and I wish he’d shoot it more. Both are 6’9” and can get a 3 pretty easily when the D is focused on Bouknight or drivers. The other guys - Cole, Gaffney, Adams, Martin - 2 of them need to join Bouknight and those 2 as dangerous shooters. Then you’ve got a squad that can hurt you in many ways.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
One thing I enjoyed was the bench reactions and Bouk’s composure and compassion towards his team mates doing well. To me, this speaks volumes towards his willingness to win. Everyone is buying in.

That culture change is finally happening and those years of drought and angst brought forth buckets of rain. Let’s go!

This is it . The culture change has been taking place. It actually started last season with the maturation of CV, Isaiah's improvement, and Polley's light switch turning on right before his injury. We are now seeing more toughness evident in the rebounding, defense and chemistry. A string of blowout losses is in the past and the competitive spirit has returned. What I saw last night was the mentality of ripping out the food from another team's dinner plate - similar to some of Calhoun's teams' victories given adversity.

Reaction Score
Adams needs to be slightly open and in rhythm. If he's defended or TOO open, he'll rush or think about it. He needs to be pure smooth muscle memory.
Agreed. He definitely needs to be open. But I'll reframe my statement/argument a bit. I think shooting is a team strength. Not a negative. It appears we only have 2 guys who do not have the green light to shoot a three when open. The 2 centers. The team shot 40% from 3 against DePaul, 50% against Marquette. Just two games, but it's a nice trend and those are pretty high numbers for the entire team. Looking forward Butler. I think we'll shoot well again.

Reaction Score
Adams needs to be slightly open and in rhythm. If he's defended or TOO open, he'll rush or think about it. He needs to be pure smooth muscle memory.
Good description: He needs to be pure smooth muscle memory.

A term I have heard from personal trainers trying to get me and their other clients to reflexively get the body to co-ordinate the muscles when doing the particular exercise so that the muscles will work together in harmony when performing that exercise.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Not at Guard. If we lose one of these guys we have to totally change the way we play. I think the roster was structured this way because staff thought that AJ could play guard. He looked more like a combo forward to me.

Reaction Score
Only player who "lost" minutes in the first few games was Jackson. With him injured, these 9 will go. As Akok gets healthy, he'll go from limited minutes to 15-20 minutes.

Not in a bad way, but with a summer injury and a mid-season injury I'm not expecting much from a freshman Jackson the rest of the year. Hope I'm wrong, but I won't be disappointed if he doesn't contribute much.

A healthy Akok and remainder of lineup, gives a 10 man rotation. He's a 4/5 so we know whose minutes he will be cutting in to in order to get his.
Before long AJax will be draining jumpers

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Before long AJax will be draining jumpers

If by "before long" you mean November 2021, I agree. Yes, I expect AJax to make a jumper sometime this season but not that often.

Reaction Score
If by "before long" you mean November 2021, I agree. Yes, I expect AJax to make a jumper sometime this season but not that often.
Chin.. You're bumming me out with your scepticism.. He'll be making a contribution by mid-Feb.. Step by step....Let's show the kid a little encouragement on the BY..

BTW.. He's a scorer/ slasher.. Not a Tyler Phommachanh shooter at this point in his career..Let him find his way.. You'll enjoy the ride..

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If I were forced to give a criticism of Hurley I would say the roster construction doesn’t make sense. Like we are clearly short a guard if he wants to press and play mostly 3 guard lineups. Why did we take on 2 developmental bigs?

Reaction Score
If I were forced to give a criticism of Hurley I would say the roster construction doesn’t make sense. Like we are clearly short a guard if he wants to press and play mostly 3 guard lineups. Why did we take on 2 developmental bigs?
If Andre was healthy.. Trust me.. He'd have an impact on pressing teams..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Because the two other bigs in the program that play are seniors. Maybe?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom