We can Believe Again | The Boneyard

We can Believe Again

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Alot of fans talking about matchups. Well let me put this out there. Here is how I size it up

What team has a better duo underneath better then Aaliyah 6'3 and Dorka 6'5? SC? who else
What team has better shooters then Azzi and Lou?
What team has better players coming off the bench better then Azzi and Caroline?
What team has more players that can create their own shot better then Azzi Lou Caroline Aaliyah and Dorka?
What team has a better coaching staff then UConn?
What team has 2 better defenders better then Griff and Nika?
What team has it all Like this UConn team has?

Folks We've got it all. We got the time off we needed and I know other teams did to but we needed it because of what we've been though this season. Our batteries are recharged. As most of you know I Dream Big. Can you imagine now that we are healthy how wide the floor will be and imagine Azzi and Lou shooting at 50%+ from the floor. How fast we can score points.

You know Catlin Clark is a great scorer and shes just one player. SC has alot of bigs but not the scorers UConn has. Stanford has bigs too and some scorers but imo lack a true point guard. VA Tech has a nice team but can they play at UConns level? Indiana is a very balanced team but they dont have enough bigs to compliment there scorers.

Alot of talk about UConns bracket this season. Yeah I would think our bracket is easier then some other brackets but that doesnt make it easy to win. We still have to come out with the attitude we had in the BET. I feel we are gonna be where we thought we would be early in the season. This is not a cake walk but I think we are gonna blow out alot of teams in our bracket.

This weekend I hope our injured reserve play and not play to much especially in the first game. God Bless Vermont but its gonna get ugly fast. I think they know it and we know it. Vermont is happy just to be here and happy to play against a team like UConn. Then comes Baylor/Alabama. This game could let the NCAA know how good this UConn is. For those of you fans who are relatively new I feel are in for an unbelievable surprise. UConn has the ability to lite it up big time if they remain healthy. UConn has the bigs, the shooters, the scorers, and the defenders that can devastate almost any team.

A few weeks ago some fans didnt think UConn could make the FF. I would have to think now almost every UConn believes again.

Reaction Score
Love your enthusiasm, but as we know there are a lot of assumptions in your UCONN analysis!

We can be all you say if…
Azzi finds her stroke
Caroline is healthy and productive
Aubrey can play and be effective
The good Aliyah and Dorka show up
Nika can keep her composure against a press.

That is a lot of ifs!
The odds of EVERYTHING coming together in a harmonic convergence are small, but we can hope!!

Reaction Score
Yeah, where did that come from? This has been a remarkable surprise in recent games. Part of it the opening of the paint with Azzi's return but whatever the reason, her first step is explosive and another weapon we didn't have in months past!
Nice! Right!

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree with you more Tonyc. The one thing great teams do is up their intensity in the tournament and UCONN has always been able to do that. Not taking anything away from last years squad but this is a much better team top to bottom with the exception of Paige being out. Other than Paige I wouldn't trade one player we have this year for any from last year and they were a game away.

The biggest surprise to me in the BET was the defensive intensity of UCONN. That is what knowing you have reserves to give you a rest brings to your team. They looked fast, fundamentally sound and locked in. They will come out and take care of business and every team will see their best.

Reaction Score
Hey, Nika goes to the hoop really well, too.
They all seem to be going to the rim strong. Recently Nika, Dorka, and Aubrey. IDK why they did not do earlier. "Gee, the lane's wide open; I think I'll drive it strong". What I wish for is to see them use their core muscles and legs to dribble drive hard to the basket, with the defender to their side, on their hip, and move the defender to under the rim. Lay up. No charge possible, as the defender can't get in front of you. It would also be nice to see them lay the ball up over their head instead of the scoop. No blocks.

I don't see too many bigs catch the ball high and in the same motion, bank it off the glass, like a half hook.

Reaction Score
The biggest surprise to me in the BET was the defensive intensity of UCONN. That is what knowing you have reserves to give you a rest brings to your team. They looked fast, fundamentally sound and locked in. They will come out and take care of business and every team will see their best.
Remember how Geno joked last summer about the defense being weak?

Reaction Score
Alot of fans talking about matchups. Well let me put this out there. Here is how I size it up

What team has a better duo underneath better then Aaliyah 6'3 and Dorka 6'5? SC? who else
What team has better players coming off the bench better then Azzi and Caroline?
What team has more players that can create their own shot better then Azzi Lou Caroline Aaliyah and Dorka?

Folks We've got it all. We got the time off we needed and I know other teams did to but we needed it because of what we've been though this season. Our batteries are recharged. As most of you know I Dream Big. Can you imagine now that we are healthy how wide the floor will be and imagine Azzi and Lou shooting at 50%+ from the floor. How fast we can score points.

You know Catlin Clark is a great scorer and shes just one player. SC has alot of bigs but not the scorers UConn has. Stanford has bigs too and some scorers but imo lack a true point guard. VA Tech has a nice team but can they play at UConns level? Indiana is a very balanced team but they dont have enough bigs to compliment there scorers.

Alot of talk about UConns bracket this season. Yeah I would think our bracket is easier then some other brackets but that doesnt make it easy to win. We still have to come out with the attitude we had in the BET. I feel we are gonna be where we thought we would be early in the season. This is not a cake walk but I think we are gonna blow out alot of teams in our bracket.

This weekend I hope our injured reserve play and not play to much especially in the first game. God Bless Vermont but its gonna get ugly fast. I think they know it and we know it. Vermont is happy just to be here and happy to play against a team like UConn. Then comes Baylor/Alabama. This game could let the NCAA know how good this UConn is. For those of you fans who are relatively new I feel are in for an unbelievable surprise. UConn has the ability to lite it up big time if they remain healthy. UConn has the bigs, the shooters, the scorers, and the defenders that can devastate almost any team.

A few weeks ago some fans didnt think UConn could make the FF. I would have to think now almost every UConn believes again.
TonyC, you are my inspiration when posting. You are so on the spot on analysis. I have been predicting we would win the BE, but not undefeated like I stated. Then I said we would win the NC and that we are destined to win it after all the trials and tribulations we went through. When we win No.12, it will be talked about for years to come as almost a miracle feat. There is no other team like Uconn and our legacy in Women's BB that has Uconn's credentials in Women's BB. GO ALL THE WAY HUSKIES!!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone here read the Defector? Their WBB maven just wrote a post that hints that VaTech is a pretender. I didn't mind reading that. But I agree with Inthepaint's post above wholeheartedly. Even in that good Nova game I saw some things...let me just say if everyone plays as hard and with the will to win that Dorka has been displaying they'll be great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They all seem to be going to the rim strong. Recently Nika, Dorka, and Aubrey. IDK why they did not do earlier. "Gee, the lane's wide open; I think I'll drive it strong". What I wish for is to see them use their core muscles and legs to dribble drive hard to the basket, with the defender to their side, on their hip, and move the defender to under the rim. Lay up. No charge possible, as the defender can't get in front of you. It would also be nice to see them lay the ball up over their head instead of the scoop. No blocks.

I don't see too many bigs catch the ball high and in the same motion, bank it off the glass, like a half hook.
Nika can actually do it all. But she mostly focuses on her primary job as point guard. So she has to be " forced " to shoot threes. She is more willing to drive to the hoop when she spots an opening. Maybe as a senior she will do it all. But it would be nice if she started this week.

Reaction Score

For TC:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe when all is said and done on Saturday afternoon the pep band can play this.

Reaction Score
Yeah, where did that come from? This has been a remarkable surprise in recent games. Part of it the opening of the paint with Azzi's return but whatever the reason, her first step is explosive and another weapon we didn't have in months past!
If you look back at the first 3/4 of the season, Nika wasn't fouling (Offensively and Defensively) like she use to. I'm sure that the coaching staff was on her to be aggressive and drive more all year but, maybe sub-consciously she was holding back a bit? With the team getting a little healthier, she may not feel pressure to play safe as much? Just a thought......

Reaction Score
Hey, Nika goes to the hoop really well, too.
No she doesn’t. You all just pull up a percentage but then never talk about how there’s barely any attempts and it’s just convenient when she does. Just like her shooting. Her percentage is great…cuz she hardly ever shoots

Reaction Score
No she doesn’t. You all just pull up a percentage but then never talk about how there’s barely any attempts and it’s just convenient when she does. Just like her shooting. Her percentage is great…cuz she hardly ever shoots
Mark Twain said, "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." I'm well aware of how statistics can be misleading. Good gravy; we all know that now after our "years of covid." And given Nika's role, driving to the basket when "convenient" is when she should make her move. What I mean to say is that when she does it, she does pretty well.
I guess another way to look at it is to ask, "What is Nika's contribution to overall team shooting percentage?" If the team takes 60 shots (let's say) and the shooting percentage is 50% (let's say), then it doesn't matter how many shots that Nika takes, only that her contribution results in the highest team shooting percentage possible. That's the same for all the players.
And... I guess the goal of "running offense" is to get the most "convenient" shots possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom