We are thin at RB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We are thin at RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its things like this that show Diaco's inexperience is really staring to be exposed as time passes. I have to be honest. His stock has fallen dramatically in my book. By the end of next season there has to be a fish or cut-bait decision, and I'm sincerely hoping things start coming together for him and the team. He does have some very nice recruits coming in that are big and athletic and that is very encouraging, but I wonder if he is one these guys that needs excellent recruits to cover other deficiencies. At some point, it cant be about next year and new recruits. That time has passed in UConn's program clock. We need a coach that can work with what he's got and get them to overachieve through schemes, coaching them up and execution. Here's to hoping BD gets this team improved over the remainder of the season.
I hope he does it for the end of this year but so far I'm not seeing it. I really think though that he needs to show major improvement starting with the opener next season. Maybe in 2001 a coach would get 5 years to get it done. Not happening now. They used to say that Paul Bryant could "take hisn and beat yourn or take yourn and beat hisn." There are guys who can just flat out coach. Not convinced Diaco is one. I think he can recruit and maybe over time he has enough good players to win 8 games a year. But if he doesn't come close next year I imagine he will be a great defensive coordinator somewhere.

Reaction Score
I hope he does it for the end of this year but so far I'm not seeing it. I really think though that he needs to show major improvement starting with the opener next season. Maybe in 2001 a coach would get 5 years to get it done. Not happening now. They used to say that Paul Bryant could "take hisn and beat yourn or take yourn and beat hisn." There are guys who can just flat out coach. Not convinced Diaco is one. I think he can recruit and maybe over time he has enough good players to win 8 games a year. But if he doesn't come close next year I imagine he will be a great defensive coordinator somewhere.
They guys that can do that are not coming to UConn. You're talking Brian and Chip Kelly, Saban, Myer, Harbaugh.

You can hope to get lucky like Houston and land a Tom Herman but Houston has been really good. So good in fact that after Briles and Sumlin, they fired a guy off of an 8-4 season because they weren't going to accept being run of the mill.

After the P debacle, I don't know if we can hit the reset button agains so quickly. Diaco, if he shows as much progress from year 2 to year 3 as he has from year 1 to year 2, has to get a fourth year. Hiring P has been a disaster at the worst possible time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm curious how many here would have been calling for Justin Fuente's head in 2013 had we been Memphis fans.

upload_2015-10-27_15-49-21.png

Reaction Score
I'm curious how many here would have been calling for Justin Fuente's head in 2013 had we been Memphis fans.

View attachment 10933

All of us. Especially after the drubbing we (memphis in this scenario) just took in the last game of the season (the one we'll be thinking about all off season) to lowly UCONN. We would have been destroying Fuente. It would have been hard to see this seasons results from that viewpoint. And yet, here we are.

Sometimes it's easy to see when it's not working. or going the wrong way (PGDL), but in this case, I just can't figure it out yet. I think it's clear that it's going up, but the speed is anyone's guess because it can vary so drastically from week to week. How long will it take ?? and, can we wait ??? I guess that's wat we'll have to find out.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the purpose of full disclosure, I have been an avid fan of the NY Giants since the late 1960's. When Bill Parcells was hired to replace Ray Perkins I was disappointed that they didn't go after a bigger name (and offensive minded coach) and after the 1983 season I wanted him gone (and thought that George Young had lost his mind by not firing Parcells the second the season ended). As recently as the middle of the 2007 season I was convinced that hiring Tom Coughlin was in fact a mistake and seeing that at best we were looking at another season of barely making the playoffs, to be followed by an early exit. felt tanking the remainder of the year for a much earlier than ~#20 pick in the draft would have made more sense than trying to make a run for the playoffs.

I've discovered in the nearly 55 years I've been alive that patience (which I often display a severe lack of) can be beneficial. I don't know how good Diaco will end up being but I do believe we won't be able to have a full read on his (and his staff's) capabilities for another couple of seasons. We'll need to endure some apparent steps forward followed by some apparent regression during this time.

Reaction Score
Well, if you look at RB recruiting under Edsall (and Terry Richardson), we did bring in 2 per year most years. You can debate what position each player was recruited for, but they were either recruited at RB/FB or played RB/FB at UConn.

2002: Cornell Brockington and Terry Caulley
2003: Matt Lawrence and Sam Dorvill
2004: Lou Allen, Larry Taylor
2005: Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Anthony Barksdale
2006: Anthony Davis, Robert McClain (moved to DB)
2007: Robby Frey, Kelmetrus Wylie, Anthony Sherman
2008: Jordan Todman
2009: Martin Hyppolite
2010: Lyle McCombs, DJ Shoemate (USC transfer)

Edsall ran a similar offense as Diaco is running, and he typically recruited 2 RBs per year and carried 8 on the roster. We potentially only 3 RBs on the roster next year, UConn needs at least 2 RBs in this recruiting cycle.

When you're building a roster, you have to look at optimal #s at each postion. You think its 8 and you may be right. Me, I can live without the heroics of Dorvill, Barksdale, Davis, Wylie, Hyppolite and others on that list. Technically, Sherman was a FB (and Big Lou ended up as one), and that's a different position (and one we've not been counting for this exercise). Counting guys that were listed by Rivals as RB and never played there is governmental accounting! Look at your list, and tell me if we ever had 3-4 serviceable RBs per year. I don't know the right number; I just know we have more pressing needs at the moment, and I know that after 4 you get guys looking around becuae they know they'll never see the field.

As was mentioned above, we could end up seeing McAllister moved back to RB (who knows, we could see Lucas moved back to DB), we could see a transfer (a la DJ). We could see a lot of things. Like I said, I'd like to see a RB come in as part of this class. I think 2 is overkill. Under RE, we brought in 2 in most years, but only once did we bring in 2 players that ultimately mattered on the field (2005).

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
When was Marriner productive and relied upon?

On Nostical's national championship team.

Reaction Score
Can't believe that the balance of this class won't consist of OL and RB's. Newsome and Johnson have both burned Redshirsts.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If you want a fullback go to a high school in Nebraska and tell one of those 8 man kids he's got a scholarship. Runs in their blood.

Reaction Score
When you're building a roster, you have to look at optimal #s at each postion. You think its 8 and you may be right. Me, I can live without the heroics of Dorvill, Barksdale, Davis, Wylie, Hyppolite and others on that list. Technically, Sherman was a FB (and Big Lou ended up as one), and that's a different position (and one we've not been counting for this exercise). Counting guys that were listed by Rivals as RB and never played there is governmental accounting! Look at your list, and tell me if we ever had 3-4 serviceable RBs per year. I don't know the right number; I just know we have more pressing needs at the moment, and I know that after 4 you get guys looking around becuae they know they'll never see the field.

As was mentioned above, we could end up seeing McAllister moved back to RB (who knows, we could see Lucas moved back to DB), we could see a transfer (a la DJ). We could see a lot of things. Like I said, I'd like to see a RB come in as part of this class. I think 2 is overkill. Under RE, we brought in 2 in most years, but only once did we bring in 2 players that ultimately mattered on the field (2005).

But the assumption that every TB you bring in will be serviceable is the wrong starting point. Not everyone you bring in will be good enough. It's not that easy to tell at the level we recruit.

Reaction Score

View attachment 10933
Don't think anybody is calling for his head in as much as his might be chopping block material in the future if there isn't tangible and meaningful progress at a program level. Its hard to get too crazy about where we are 1 and half seasons into the Bob Diaco mind experiment. But we will close out on year 2 either with some additional wins and an improving team, or end another season with a dumpster fire. End of Year 3 is the time to seriously evaluate and determine whether its time to fish or cut bait. If he does not get above .500 looking good, then its time to sharpen the guillotine. First thing I would do is get Weist back. There is no doubt in my mind the guy can coach and motivate. Nobody has pulled off 3 wins in a row (with half a season) in half a decade. Yes, there was Cochran but Diaco certainly didn't make hay when he had him. Final thought is this program cannot sustain 4 years of more failure on top of the PP debacle. So, I am hoping magic starts kicking in to close out this year and it carries into next season.

Reaction Score
But the assumption that every TB you bring in will be serviceable is the wrong starting point. Not everyone you bring in will be good enough. It's not that easy to tell at the level we recruit.

Which is likely the VERY reason HCRE always brought in multiple backs

BTW, with the TJ love-fest going on here today - mindful that he had a nice 2 game run (the O was lousy in win 1 at Temple), why has he not been given another shot somewhere? I understand he wanted to be a HC, but if he wanted to stay he likely could have and if he was that well respected would he not have found a paying gig by now?

Reaction Score

this... the kids that we have and, a year ago, were pretty much looking at as our future, doesn't seem look that way any longer... which is why we need to RBs in this class...

Reaction Score
For the purpose of full disclosure, I have been an avid fan of the NY Giants since the late 1960's. When Bill Parcells was hired to replace Ray Perkins I was disappointed that they didn't go after a bigger name (and offensive minded coach) and after the 1983 season I wanted him gone (and thought that George Young had lost his mind by not firing Parcells the second the season ended). As recently as the middle of the 2007 season I was convinced that hiring Tom Coughlin was in fact a mistake and seeing that at best we were looking at another season of barely making the playoffs, to be followed by an early exit. felt tanking the remainder of the year for a much earlier than ~#20 pick in the draft would have made more sense than trying to make a run for the playoffs.

I've discovered in the nearly 55 years I've been alive that patience (which I often display a severe lack of) can be beneficial. I don't know how good Diaco will end up being but I do believe we won't be able to have a full read on his (and his staff's) capabilities for another couple of seasons. We'll need to endure some apparent steps forward followed by some apparent regression during this time.

Parcells speaks freely of the midway point of the 1984 season being his most critical time as a head coach. He notes that he was the recipient of a great deal of good happening all that same time from his players and coaches, to get that season to turn around and then continue building, had that season not turned around, he says he's pretty sure he would have been out of a job. At some point, Diaco will have a similar moment. We're not even close yet, if you ask me.

I've been able to have an abstract view at this season, and to me, it's glaringly obvious what's happened this season so far. Diaco's a kooky coach, that's learning - that's all. He developed this entire year long plan - that led to what? the frigging UCF game at mid-season. We were 3-3, and players were openly talking about how important that trophy was to them.

That's fine and dandy, but it's week 6, and you got homecoming, and the rest of the conference season to play.

Don't drink the poison - Randy Edsall used to say.

Diaco is learning that it's friggin hard work, to keep a team focused and playing well through an entire season, and do it in such a way that the progressively improve mentally and physically and peak at the end of the season.

My biggest concern, is that he had this team peak to early, and is struggling to get them to keep building for this season. As crazy as it may sound, reading it, it's what I'm concerned about.

I think all that's happened in the past 2 games, is that they drank their own poison after the UCF game in preparation that week, and against Cincinatti they showed all the signs of mental and physical fatigue.

That goes for both coaches and players.

How they perform Friday night, will be a good indicator of things to come for this season, and as far as fatigue goes, everybody is tired and sore, it's how you prepare and focus to overcome. A short week, might just be what we need most right now, instead of stewing on the past 2 games.

I think Coach Booby has probably learned an important lesson about preparing for the marathon of a football season, this year, that he can apply to next year.

Reaction Score
If we peaked at UCF, I am even more afraid. I know the score looked like an as$ whooping, but if they had a WR that could catch the ball, that could have been a close game. Frankly, we looked better in other games.

I understand the point around focusing attention on a game, but you know what happens at the P5 level, you have to focus on winning every game, as they are all rivalries and/or have huge impact. And how can beating a winless team be the pinnacle? I think you read too much in to the victory - it was great for the kids to win on the road, but it was not the peak. If it was, we might not win another game.

Reaction Score

BTW, with the TJ love-fest going on here today - mindful that he had a nice 2 game run (the O was lousy in win 1 at Temple), why has he not been given another shot somewhere? I understand he wanted to be a HC, but if he wanted to stay he likely could have and if he was that well respected would he not have found a paying gig by now?

Weist is at University of Michigan.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020515aad.html

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Parcells speaks freely of the midway point of the 1984 season being his most critical time as a head coach. He notes that he was the recipient of a great deal of good happening all that same time from his players and coaches, to get that season to turn around and then continue building, had that season not turned around, he says he's pretty sure he would have been out of a job. At some point, Diaco will have a similar moment. We're not even close yet, if you ask me.

I've been able to have an abstract view at this season, and to me, it's glaringly obvious what's happened this season so far. Diaco's a kooky coach, that's learning - that's all. He developed this entire year long plan - that led to what? the frigging UCF game at mid-season. We were 3-3, and players were openly talking about how important that trophy was to them.

That's fine and dandy, but it's week 6, and you got homecoming, and the rest of the conference season to play.

Don't drink the poison - Randy Edsall used to say.

Diaco is learning that it's friggin hard work, to keep a team focused and playing well through an entire season, and do it in such a way that the progressively improve mentally and physically and peak at the end of the season.

My biggest concern, is that he had this team peak to early, and is struggling to get them to keep building for this season. As crazy as it may sound, reading it, it's what I'm concerned about.

I think all that's happened in the past 2 games, is that they drank their own poison after the UCF game in preparation that week, and against Cincinatti they showed all the signs of mental and physical fatigue.

That goes for both coaches and players.

How they perform Friday night, will be a good indicator of things to come for this season, and as far as fatigue goes, everybody is tired and sore, it's how you prepare and focus to overcome. A short week, might just be what we need most right now, instead of stewing on the past 2 games.

I think Coach Booby has probably learned an important lesson about preparing for the marathon of a football season, this year, that he can apply to next year.

Maybe you didn't see the game but it wasn't poison drinking that cost them the USF game. They came out and completely outplayed them for 30 minutes but just had nothing to show for it. USF made more plays in the second half.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Diaco refuses to use DeLorenzo. He must think him as a FB or short pass option only, yet he refuses to run hom in short yardage situations.
That is on the coach, not the program. Kid's last year, give him some carries.

Reaction Score
RB's - I was going to start with Ronjon. But Max is a better example.

last year max had 77 carries for 343 yds with a 4.5 yd avg.
this year he has 9 attempts.
WOW
Give the kid a chance (i am assuming his putting the ball on the carpet is past him - something observable in practice. If he fumbls in practice then yes I can understand not using him.)

And now ron jon, who has looked way off. Of course last year with his 114 carries, 429 yds, and 3.8 yd avg we thought he was the real deal. Shame that the sophmore jinx has struck him.

Maybe Bob (I'm rapidly losing respect to call him HCBD) should watch some tape, see that our running game sucks and give Max some burn. At this point of the season when you don't have a 1 or 1 and a half yard play up your sleeve (other than QB sneak) something is wrong.

Note to Bob - Watch this UNC kid Hood tonight to see what a running back can do for an offense.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
^^^^^ 100%. They are going to get Newsome killed, and I don't think it's off base that Max gives us a better short yard advantage, has been a loyal soldier , and flat out deserves it.

Reaction Score

FYI - Diaco's mentor, Hayden Fry's first two years at Iowa were 5-6 and 4-7 respectively. He came into a program that had been losing badly. His next 11 years Iowa was 8-4, 8-4, 9-3, 8-4-1, 10-2, 9-3, 10-3, 6-4, 5-6, 8-4 and 10-1-1. He ended up coaching 20 years there and 143-89-6 record or .613 winning percentage. Under Fry Iowa won 3 Big 10 championships. #1 National ranking in 1985. 14 1st division finishes in the Big 10. 14 bowl games in 17 seasons. Ten seasons of 8 or more victories. Finished in the top 10 twice and top 25 nine times.

I am sure Bob Diaco is adding some tweeks and other ideas he has picked up from others but know this, the principles that encompass his coaching philosphy are rooted in the Hayden Fry school of coaching. I'm thinking 2016 is gonna be the breakout year.

I am encouraged by those posters who see the progress and the big picture.
I will be the first to say that 2016 is the most criticle year in Bob Diaco's coaching career at UCONN. Let's finish the year out. There could be some surprizes. Next year the schedule is:

Out of conference games:

Sept. 3 Maine -Home
Sept 17 Virginia - Home
Sept 24 Syracuse - Home
Nov. 19. Boston College Away

* American home games: UCF, Cincinnati, Temple, Tulane

* American road games: East Carolina, Houston, Navy, USF

I am excited about our OOC schedule, especially Cuse & BC. Looking forward to some payback in the American.

Now hopefully we can have a positive last third of the season against ECU, Tulane, Houston and Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom