We are making progress... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We are making progress...

Reaction Score
We might need to move some LBs into DLs next year. Our lack of pressure on QBs is one of the biggest weaknesses in our defense. We just need better players. I hope Edsall can recruit some players, but really good DLs are hard to come by.
I agree with basically everything you said, but I do think we did a decent job pressuring the QB today. The problem is, all of the guys providing that pressure will be gone next year.

Reaction Score
Shifting an O lineman to the defensive side crossed my mind as well when thinking about the lack of replacements for our starting seniors.
Travis Jones was recruited as an OL but has played both sides of the ball at Wilbur Cross. The kid is a monster and could turn out to be the best recruit HCRE and Lashlee have gotten so far. If the coaches put him on the defensive line that would shore things up a lot, but then we lose his blocking and precious seconds for Pindell on offense. Tough call? Maybe not.

Football: Wilbur Cross lineman Travis Jones chooses UConn (updated)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We played one quarter of good defense. One quarter of mediocre defense. And two quarters of awful, terrible defense.

So I guess I agree we improved today.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The sad thing is that the O has been good enough to score more if the D had gotten off the field a little more often.

Reaction Score
BC is playing well now. I think Cincy is the best shot.
Agree, but BC is not as good as UCF; and, if UConn can clean up a few self-destructive things and if DP can take another step up the steep learning curve he is currently on, the BC game is not a lost cause. Maybe only 1 chance in 3 or 4, but still not out of the realm of possibility. Plenty to play for. And if they could steal a victory at Fenway, you would have to think they would be flying high on that trip to Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice that Mizzou put up 659 yards of offense and 50 points on Tenn and 45 points on Florida?! wow. Our loss to them doesn't look so bad now.

I can't wait to finally see us play against comparable teams like BC and Cinci and teams who don't have all pro QBs who throw for 450 yards/game. We beat Tulsa and a very good Temple team on the road, and I can't wait to watch our final two games of the season

Reaction Score
We played one quarter of good defense. One quarter of mediocre defense. And two quarters of awful, terrible defense.
I have been saying the same thing since day 1. You look at the offense, you see limitations but you also see the players well coached - knowing their jobs knowing where they are suppose to be, good adjustments, play calling design, etc. — improvement.

On defense we see signs that guys can play. And when I say play I mean compete in the AAC. Not P5 talent. But guys are out of position, can’t do fundamental things like tackling, etc. still cannot defend the wide receiver screen. I mean, I picture other coaches watching film of our games and chuckling to themselves saying “all we gotta do is fling it out to a receiver and we can get 8-10 yrds every time because they still have figured out how to defend it.”

I have been just very disappointed in the defensive coaching with this team since day 1 against HC. Definitely not making much improvement thru the season if any. It sux because I know we won’t be able to change and we are stuck with this coordinator. I will keep supporting and keep hoping but hope is not a strategy.

Reaction Score
Well, there WERE periods of time in the third quarter yesterday in which the D damned near took over the game. Unfortunately the O picked those periods of time to go three and out. If they had sustained drives and got scores the D might have stayed fresher and more able to maintain that level of play a bit longer.

Reaction Score
One candidate I think might fit on DL is Zordan Holman. Great size, played end in high school. Has his weight up to 250. If Jay Rose can contribute meaningful snaps at TE, I think Holman can be switched.
Was hoping he could play LB, or DE.

Reaction Score
I never understood why he was signed. I saw him in high school and he was terrible.
Now that Edsall 2.0 is around, and with schollies be renewed year in and year out, don't be surprised if he's not here next season. unless he shows some serious improvement in the Spring. Not a peep from him on the field this year. At that size, the hope is he can crack the 2 deep or 3 deep legitimately...

Reaction Score
One candidate I think might fit on DL is Zordan Holman. Great size, played end in high school. Has his weight up to 250. If Jay Rose can contribute meaningful snaps at TE, I think Holman can be switched.

I always thought that might be a good move especially because of his Jiu-Jitsu skills and championships. Now that he is up to 250 it seems logical in concept anyway.

Read the link below, it's pretty impressive and has Defensive end written all over it!

Portland teen making mark in jiu-jitsu

IMG_0466.JPG

Reaction Score
one thing that excites me about Edsall 2.0. We'll get guys that actually play the positions that we need to play the positions. We'll find those diamonds in the rough with this coach that will come aboard and get whipped into shape and play with a chip on their shoulder... overachieve so to speak, but in reality, these kids he will reach, motivate and maximize their abilities to produce at the level that us true Huskies fans saw come out in the past...

Reaction Score
The only position that worries me, badly, is DL. I mean aside from Murphy what is there? It all starts up front on defense and I fear we will be significantly worse on DL next year. And that’s a huge problem.

Really need to look at JUCO ranks here and maybe flip an offensive lineman to D Line.

I agree, here is who it looks like we have for next year as of now:

Kevin Murphy 6'1" 280 RSJ,
Sherien Lawley, 6'4" 290 RS Senior,
Philippe Okounam, 6'5" 290 RSJ
Connor Freeborn, 6'5" 255 RSJ
AJ Garson 6'7" 237 RSSoph
Noel Brouse 6'5" 265 RSSoph
Andrew Miglaccio 6'3" 266' RSSoph
Caleb Thomas 6'0 289 RSF
Carlton Steer 6'2" 255 Senior, CCSU transfer

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Approximately 127 of 130 defensive staffs are teaching better fundamentals. Or, somehow we managed to find the very worst players in FCS? The ones that can't tackle, can't shed blocks, etc... come on. Do really come to that conclusion?

Its a number of things.....but I think it comes down to the overall baseline talent of the players.

As someone provided in an analogy of the team not too long ago, the vast majority of the players are from the FCS ranks.

A number of players did not have any offers at all...BCS, FCS or whatever.

Of those who had FCS offers, none were from the "power houses of FCS schools" ....... I can't recall any that had offers from Villanova, Delaware, James Madison, New Hampshire, Richmond, William and Mary, etc. Most of those FCS schools are frequent participants in FCS playoffs, and more than a few have won National Championships at the FCS level. And that is just mentioning the East coast FCS schools. Heck, before UMass went to BCS/FBS status, they won two national championships at the FCS level.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if many of our recruits also had offers from USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnatti in the AAC.

Our recruiting battles against FCS schools sometimes list Fairfield, Sacred Heart, Albany, etc.

Sometimes our recruit backgrounds suggest some have never played football before high school. Missed out learning fundamentals at the midget FB league level and improving on those skills through high school. Of those we get from high schools, do they come from S, M, L, LL category schools and have any of those high schools won state championships.

So yes, I think the players in a good portion of the other AAC schools are "coached up" from a higher base line talent out of high school.

I like Randy, and wish him the best. But he is behind a BIG 8 ball.

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice that Mizzou put up 659 yards of offense and 50 points on Tenn and 45 points on Florida?! wow. Our loss to them doesn't look so bad now.

I can't wait to finally see us play against comparable teams like BC and Cinci and teams who don't have all pro QBs who throw for 450 yards/game. We beat Tulsa and a very good Temple team on the road, and I can't wait to watch our final two games of the season
Turns out we have played the top 4 out of 10 teams in NCAA and the top 5 out of 12 teams in total yards/game!! Teams really took advantage of our young defensive backs, but they've also have been tearing apart all their opponents D.

Like I said yesterday, I think our defense will be on a level playing field with BC's and Cinci's offenses, and hopefully it's a favorable outcome for us!
Top yards/game NCAA football teams:
5. UCF 538 yards/game (328 pass/210 rush) L
8. Memphis 503 yards/game (330 pass/273 rush) L
9. USF 502 yards/game (226 pass/276 rush) L
10. Missouri 502 yards/game (306 pass/196 rush) L
12. SMU 497 yards/game (310 pass/187 rush) L

Total yards/game for teams UConn beat:
38. Tulsa 432 yards/game (183 pass/249 rush) W
87. Temple 380 yards/game (256 pass/124 rush) W

Remaning games:
98. Boston College 368 yards/game (165 pass/203 rush) ?
104. Cincinnati 356 yards/game (221 pass/135 rush) ?

Reaction Score
I have been saying the same thing since day 1. You look at the offense, you see limitations but you also see the players well coached - knowing their jobs knowing where they are suppose to be, good adjustments, play calling design, etc. — improvement.

On defense we see signs that guys can play. And when I say play I mean compete in the AAC. Not P5 talent. But guys are out of position, can’t do fundamental things like tackling, etc. still cannot defend the wide receiver screen. I mean, I picture other coaches watching film of our games and chuckling to themselves saying “all we gotta do is fling it out to a receiver and we can get 8-10 yrds every time because they still have figured out how to defend it.”

I have been just very disappointed in the defensive coaching with this team since day 1 against HC. Definitely not making much improvement thru the season if any. It sux because I know we won’t be able to change and we are stuck with this coordinator. I will keep supporting and keep hoping but hope is not a strategy.

Coach is fine. It's more about recruiting. For example, did you by any chance see UCF's D line? You might want to check out their roster and see the bevy of size and speed they have on the D line.

SMU offensive coordinator Joe Craddock agrees.

He says the Knights have an “SEC-type caliber defense” anchored by a powerful front line. Craddock’s words carry some weight when you consider he worked in player development and as a graduate assistant at Clemson from 2012-14 before taking his first full-time assistant coaching role at SMU two years ago.

“They got some really good players up front. They have a lot of size, they move around. It’s not like they’re just slugs in there,” Craddock said. “They’re quick, they’re twitchy, very athletic. Their defensive line, I feel like, is definitely the best part of their team.”

I believe Fatukasi, Carazolla and Ormsby gave it there all but there is simply no comparion from a body standpoint, except foe Foley. They are all really tough, just not big enough.

Reaction Score
Coach is fine. It's more about recruiting. For example, did you by any chance see UCF's D line? You might want to check out their roster and see the bevy of size and speed they have on the D line.

He says the Knights have an “SEC-type caliber defense” anchored by a powerful front line. Craddock’s words carry some weight when you consider he worked in player development and as a graduate assistant at Clemson from 2012-14 before taking his first full-time assistant coaching role at SMU two years ago.

“They got some really good players up front. They have a lot of size, they move around. It’s not like they’re just slugs in there,” Craddock said. “They’re quick, they’re twitchy, very athletic. Their defensive line, I feel like, is definitely the best part of their team.”

I believe Fatukasi, Carazolla and Ormsby gave it there all but there is simply no comparion from a body standpoint, except foe Foley. They are all really tough, just not big enough.

Both USF and UCF definitely had the size, speed, and talent of P5 teams. Very comparable to what Missouri offered as a team.

Reaction Score
Its a number of things.....but I think it comes down to the overall baseline talent of the players.

As someone provided in an analogy of the team not too long ago, the vast majority of the players are from the FCS ranks.

A number of players did not have any offers at all...BCS, FCS or whatever.

Of those who had FCS offers, none were from the "power houses of FCS schools" .. I can't recall any that had offers from Villanova, Delaware, James Madison, New Hampshire, Richmond, William and Mary, etc. Most of those FCS schools are frequent participants in FCS playoffs, and more than a few have won National Championships at the FCS level. And that is just mentioning the East coast FCS schools. Heck, before UMass went to BCS/FBS status, they won two national championships at the FCS level.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if many of our recruits also had offers from USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnatti in the AAC.

Our recruiting battles against FCS schools sometimes list Fairfield, Sacred Heart, Albany, etc.

Sometimes our recruit backgrounds suggest some have never played football before high school. Missed out learning fundamentals at the midget FB league level and improving on those skills through high school. Of those we get from high schools, do they come from S, M, L, LL category schools and have any of those high schools won state championships.

So yes, I think the players in a good portion of the other AAC schools are "coached up" from a higher base line talent out of high school.

I like Randy, and wish him the best. But he is behind a BIG 8 ball.
And yet somehow the offense looks well coached and like they could compete with some better talent. Why does the defense look good occasionally and then completely clueless and lack so much in fundamentals? There is no accountability for the coaching? Just blame the recruiting/previous coach? Look, I wasn't expecting .500 or a bowl bid. I was in the 3-4 win camp from day one. I am talking about what we are seeing on the field. Improving with what you have. Make adjustments. That's coaching. Yes, our talent level is poor but I am NOT impressed with what is happening on defense at all. That is what I am worried about.

Reaction Score

Nor fast enough. Nor quick enough.

Reaction Score

I was thinking that too. His martial arts background has to be helpful shedding blockers. Back in high school (early 80s), we had a 175 lb defense end who was a black belt. He was all-league.

Reaction Score
Turns out we have played the top 4 out of 10 teams in NCAA and the top 5 out of 12 teams in total yards/game!! Teams really took advantage of our young defensive backs, but they've also have been tearing apart all their opponents D.

Like I said yesterday, I think our defense will be on a level playing field with BC's and Cinci's offenses, and hopefully it's a favorable outcome for us!
Top yards/game NCAA football teams:
5. UCF 538 yards/game (328 pass/210 rush) L
8. Memphis 503 yards/game (330 pass/273 rush) L
9. USF 502 yards/game (226 pass/276 rush) L
10. Missouri 502 yards/game (306 pass/196 rush) L
12. SMU 497 yards/game (310 pass/187 rush) L

Total yards/game for teams UConn beat:
38. Tulsa 432 yards/game (183 pass/249 rush) W
87. Temple 380 yards/game (256 pass/124 rush) W

Remaning games:
98. Boston College 368 yards/game (165 pass/203 rush) ?
104. Cincinnati 356 yards/game (221 pass/135 rush) ?

Is your point our D had to go up against some very good Os or that 5 of the top 12 should have an asterisk next to their name, noting they got to up their stats by playing us?

Reaction Score
Is your point our D had to go up against some very good Os or that 5 of the top 12 should have an asterisk next to their name, noting they got to up their stats by playing us?
the former, our D had to go up against some very good Os in college football this year

Reaction Score
I agree, here is who it looks like we have for next year as of now:

Kevin Murphy 6'1" 280 RSJ,
Sherien Lawley, 6'4" 290 RS Senior,
Philippe Okounam, 6'5" 290 RSJ
Connor Freeborn, 6'5" 255 RSJ
AJ Garson 6'7" 237 RSSoph
Noel Brouse 6'5" 265 RSSoph
Andrew Miglaccio 6'3" 266' RSSoph
Caleb Thomas 6'0 289 RSF
Carlton Steer 6'2" 255 Senior, CCSU transfer

From this list, we'll be up S**ts creek next year if we don't get some veterans (JUCO/GS) to help out... The only functional DL on this list was Murphy, and he's undersized and still learning... Thomas is the only other player that I'm intrigued about because he's comig off his RS year. The rest, if there's no considerable improvement that we see in April, not too optomistic about. A little hope with Freeborn, Garson, and maybe Brouse, but they gotta boat load of work to do...

We RIGHT AWAY need help here...and more size....

Reaction Score
From this list, we'll be up S**ts creek next year if we don't get some veterans (JUCO/GS) to help out... The only functional DL on this list was Murphy, and he's undersized and still learning... Thomas is the only other player that I'm intrigued about because he's comig off his RS year. The rest, if there's no considerable improvement that we see in April, not too optomistic about. A little hope with Freeborn, Garson, and maybe Brouse, but they gotta boat load of work to do...

We RIGHT AWAY need help here...and more size....

Big time help!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom