We are apparently on the level of NSM | The Boneyard

We are apparently on the level of NSM

Reaction Score
Is this what we anticipated in Hurley Year 4?

A coach with a fragile ego is an absolute no-go

Is this really our guy? He’s recruited okay but games just haven’t been going our way.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The recruiting hasn’t really kicked in yet.

We basically relied on a bunch of players who were recruited in 2016 and 2017 here, at URI and at Howard.

Of the guys Hurley recruited to UConn, really, only Sanogo and Jackson got any run. Hawkin was in and out, Springs, Diggins and Johnson still haven’t been issued a uniform yet.

Next year, we‘ll start to see.

Reaction Score
As disappointing as tonight was, I definitely would have signed up for this four years ago. The program is still in great shape.

Look - if you evaluate Hurley strictly on his results to date, I can certainly see how you'd come away underwhelmed. We're far enough into his tenure now that performances like tonight (and last year's) should cause some alarm, especially when coupled with his worrisome track record in close games.

But we also don't need to over-complicate this. Basketball games are won by basketball players, and he's been really good at:

A) Recruiting talented players to UConn

B) Getting said players to stay at UConn

C) Communicating his vision for the program in a way that feels both calculated and authentic (For instance, I love that he came in, hired a staff with strong ties to the east coast, and immediately started attracting big time recruits)

Coaches who stockpile enough talent are bound to eventually break through, especially when they're comfortable enough in their own skin to learn and adapt along the way.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Is this what we anticipated in Hurley Year 4?

A coach with a fragile ego is an absolute no-go

Is this really our guy? He’s recruited okay but games just haven’t been going our way.
Would’ve been thrilled with a 5 seed in year 4 right after his hire was announced. But obviously would’ve expected at least 1 win that year. I haven’t lost perspective of how down bad we were 4 years ago.

Reaction Score
As disappointing as tonight was, I definitely would have signed up for this four years ago. The program is still in great shape.

Look - if you evaluate Hurley strictly on his results to date, I can certainly see how you'd come away underwhelmed. We're far enough into his tenure now that performances like tonight (and last year's) should cause some alarm, especially when coupled with his worrisome track record in close games.

But we also don't need to over-complicate this. Basketball games are won by basketball players, and he's been really good at:

C) Communicating his vision for the program in a way that feels both calculated and authentic (For instance, I love that he came in, hired a staff with strong ties to the east coast, and immediately started attracting big time recruits)

Coaches who stockpile enough talent are bound to eventually break through, especially when they're comfortable enough in their own skin to learn and adapt along the way.
Get the talented players and things wl turn. Anyone see Kemba, Caron, Hamilton or Ben out there? No. We need a stud 2 guard who can get their own . Is it Hawkins?

Reaction Score

Show me evidence that Hurley has shown he will learn along the way. We adapt nothing

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The recruiting hasn’t really kicked in yet.

We basically relied on a bunch of players who were recruited in 2016 and 2017 here, at URI and at Howard.

Of the guys Hurley recruited to UConn, really, only Sanogo and Jackson got any run. Hawkin was in and out, Springs, Diggins and Johnson still haven’t been issued a uniform yet.

Next year, we‘ll start to see.

Diggins and friends couldn't get on the court this season for a team that lost to New Mexico State in the Tourney, but next year they will carry UConn to greatness? Is that how it works?

Transfers are part of recruiting. Just because Cole and Martin started somewhere else, they ended up here. And they can both play, as can Sanogo, Jackson, Whaley, Polley and Hawkins. These are good players. Gaffney has gotten worse at UConn, but he had potential at one point. Bouknight was a first round draft pick. There are a lot of coaches that have done a lot more with a lot less.

Reaction Score
We're also apparently on the level of Kentucky. Maybe above, we made the tournament last year and they didn't. Definitely true.

Reaction Score
We're also apparently on the level of Kentucky. Maybe above, we made the tournament last year and they didn't. Definitely true.
Whatever you have to tel yourself

This was an epic embarrassment and Hurley should feel horrible

Reaction Score

The highlighted portion is the issue. He has yet to prove he's comfortable in his own skin, and he definitely has not proven that he is willing to adapt. In fact, his biggest issue appears to be his stubbornness. From relying too much on upperclassmen to refusing to make in-game adjustments when things aren't working to even little things like not calling timeouts at the right time, his willingness to adapt is what needs to change or I fear we are going to keep getting the same results. Good, but not great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom