We are a very good team not playing well | The Boneyard

We are a very good team not playing well

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Why UConn hasnt been getting all the top recruits. Take a look at their roster. Where would you put them? How much playtime would they get and by going elsewhere would solve both those problems for them. Lets go back a few years. We had Stewie Mojeff Tuck Gabby Nurse with Collier and Lou coming off the bench. We had Butler and got Z. If you were a top recruit looking at UConn you know your not seeing much time. Well now you look to last season. Our starting lineup was loaded with a bunch of big names looking at UConn. We almost struck out this season with recruits. Why? Lets take a look at what happened. Well we can now look back and see SC is loaded as is Stanford. I feel the next recruiting cycle most top recruits will see that and go elsewhere. ND is loosing 5 very key players. UConn is loosing 2 key players. Why? If you read this board you kinda know. There are alot of reasons why. IMO Geno has standards one of which is not taking everybody good if he sees potential problems with them their parents or team mates. Understand one thing. Geno and UConn are what they are because of the way Geno thinks.
Recruiting was off this season but Genos standards for recruits hasnt changed. He knows what he's looking for and his record proves that. With that said he may have to be a little flexible as the roster is a little short.

Recruiting is not what it was a few years ago. Kids are quiet about where theyre going and what theyre looking for. Do you remember Dorf the poster who was around a few months ago making all those predictions about where every recruit was going. I followed up on some of his/her predictions and got nothing. Those of you oldtimes know I know and wont post a damm thing unless Ive got a great source and I know it to be true. Im not the only one, in the old days there were many posters on this board that knew what was going on and it was for the most part common knowledge as the Tenn fans knew more than anyone else. Guess what. Those of you on my mailing list havent heard much lately right. Thats because everything is hush hush. Even at AAU tournaments people are not talking about where kids are going. Kids are not making it public knowledge where they want to go. They are yessing coaches and accepting offers and are weighing their thoughts where they want to go based on what they want. What do they want? They Want to play, education development and a NC. Those who want UConn will verbal to UConn providing the team and coaching staff want them.

Looking at UConn this season with only one loss and not hitting on all cylinders,,,, Yet, tells me alot. UConn is winning by alot and theyre not shooting from the outside yet. UConns poise, experience, confidence isnt where we've seen it. They dont look like UConn imo due to lack of height and lack of experience. That experience is happening and we've seen that over the past few games. UConn has been going through growing pains this season with dependence on our Big 3. Geno says he's trying to get everybody involved. Well we're beginning to see that. We're beginning to see improvement in everybody. Thats a sign its beginning to come together. We dont look like the well oiled machine we've been over the past few years but we're getting there. Opponents arent UConn. We are a very good team not playing very well and you know what...were still winning.

I believe that as this team grows together, as they mature, the balance, poise, and most importantly the confidence will come back and when that happens the continuity and cohesiveness will come together and be that well oiled machine once again.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
In UConn's case, kids, I would guess, want to have some idea how much longer Geno will be there. Muffet probably has the same issue at ND.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
In UConn's case, kids, I would guess, want to have some idea how much longer Geno will be there. Muffet probably has the same issue at ND.

Victor:
I would imagine you could throw Tara at Stanford as well.

But it's interesting, as a longtime ND alum and fan and denizen of McGraw's Bench (and here, of course): I have not heard those rumors coming up in regards to Muffet. While (some) kids may naturally think of it, they also scan the internet to see rumors and, if anything, MM is brimming with energy.

I'm sure part of this is coming off the high of her first NC in ages and coaching something of a dream team (for a coach) this year. But she's tight with her assistant coaches and staff, has huge support at ND, new practice facilities to fully use and show off and a great partner in her husband, Matt. Mr. McGraw is retired and spends a lot of his time at games and accompanies MM on all "head coach" recruiting visits, when she's not with Niele Ivey or other coaches.

She still, apparently, loves coaching practices and much more enjoys being with her players (particularly now that her sole son is married and lives in Milwaukee.).

So stay tuned.....I think most of us on the Bench are happy to have her as long as she's enjoying it, herself.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony

Quite a lot on recruiting; not so much on the thread premise...
"Good Team not playing well".
I'm not sure what the answer is...but that it is happening is self-evident.
I took a stab at the coaching situ the other day and no one bit.
It could be that as much as anything.

Reaction Score
Why UConn hasnt been getting all the top recruits. Take a look at their roster. Where would you put them? How much playtime would they get and by going elsewhere would solve both those problems for them. Lets go back a few years. We had Stewie Mojeff Tuck Gabby Nurse with Collier and Lou coming off the bench. We had Butler and got Z. If you were a top recruit looking at UConn you know your not seeing much time. Well now you look to last season. Our starting lineup was loaded with a bunch of big names looking at UConn. We almost struck out this season with recruits. Why? Lets take a look at what happened. Well we can now look back and see SC is loaded as is Stanford. I feel the next recruiting cycle most top recruits will see that and go elsewhere. ND is loosing 5 very key players. UConn is loosing 2 key players. Why? If you read this board you kinda know. There are alot of reasons why. IMO Geno has standards one of which is not taking everybody good if he sees potential problems with them their parents or team mates. Understand one thing. Geno and UConn are what they are because of the way Geno thinks.
Recruiting was off this season but Genos standards for recruits hasnt changed. He knows what he's looking for and his record proves that. With that said he may have to be a little flexible as the roster is a little short.

Recruiting is not what it was a few years ago. Kids are quiet about where theyre going and what theyre looking for. Do you remember Dorf the poster who was around a few months ago making all those predictions about where every recruit was going. I followed up on some of his/her predictions and got nothing. Those of you oldtimes know I know and wont post a damm thing unless Ive got a great source and I know it to be true. Im not the only one, in the old days there were many posters on this board that knew what was going on and it was for the most part common knowledge as the Tenn fans knew more than anyone else. Guess what. Those of you on my mailing list havent heard much lately right. Thats because everything is hush hush. Even at AAU tournaments people are not talking about where kids are going. Kids are not making it public knowledge where they want to go. They are yessing coaches and accepting offers and are weighing their thoughts where they want to go based on what they want. What do they want? They Want to play, education development and a NC. Those who want UConn will verbal to UConn providing the team and coaching staff want them.

Baylor, Tennessee, and others have been stockpiling multiple top recruits at the same position.........................apparently these recruits are willing to share time in order to play in the kind of environment they're comfortable with or think they will beat out their teammates..............UConn has never looked more inviting in terms of playing time so if the 2020 class is a bust that's certainly not going to be the reason..................

Reaction Score
Strange thread. One poor recruiting year after several where top recruit in country went to UConn. #2 ranked team. Next year, no matter who UConn gets, 3 of the top recruits from past years will be leading team. Would love to be undefeated each year but some of these posts deserve a "Yikes." Head bang

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Looking at UConn this season with only one loss and not hitting on all cylinders,,,, Yet, tells me alot. UConn is winning by alot and theyre not shooting from the outside yet. UConns poise, experience, confidence isnt where we've seen it. They dont look like UConn imo due to lack of height and lack of experience. That experience is happening and we've seen that over the past few games. UConn has been going through growing pains this season with dependence on our Big 3. Geno says he's trying to get everybody involved. Well we're beginning to see that. We're beginning to see improvement in everybody. Thats a sign its beginning to come together. We dont look like the well oiled machine we've been over the past few years but we're getting there. Opponents arent UConn. We are a very good team not playing very well and you know what...were still winning.

I believe that as this team grows together, as they mature, the balance, poise, and most importantly the confidence will come back and when that happens the continuity and cohesiveness will come together and be that well oiled machine once again.

Great post Tony.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom