WCQ matches this week | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WCQ matches this week

Reaction Score
Why is Northern Ireland wearing green? Shouldn't they be wearing orange? Go Switzerland!
I’ve always wondered that too. Regardless, I bet ESPN wishes they showed Croatia/Greece instead. Croatia up 3-1 before HT.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why is Northern Ireland wearing green? Shouldn't they be wearing orange? Go Switzerland!

I’ve always wondered that too. Regardless, I bet ESPN wishes they showed Croatia/Greece instead. Croatia up 3-1 before HT.

The Ireland national football team represented Ireland at association football from 1882 until 1950. It was organised by the Irish Football Association (IFA), and is the fourth oldest international team in the world.

After the partition of Ireland in the 1920s, although the IFA's administration of club football was restricted to Northern Ireland, the IFA national team continued to select players from the whole of Ireland until 1950, and did not adopt the name "Northern Ireland" until 1954 in FIFA competition, and the 1970s in the British Home Championship.[n 1] The IFA's modern Northern Ireland national football team is recognised[by whom?] as the successor to the original Ireland national team. Since 1924, a separate Republic of Ireland international team, organised by the separate Football Association of Ireland (.A.I.), had briefly fielded a team called Ireland, and this team now represents the Republic of Ireland.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thanks, still doesn't smell right to me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Senegal wins 2-0 with Sadio Mane having a hand in both goals. Since this clinches the group, I'm hoping they release him from the meaningless final game.

Reaction Score
Sweden-Italy deadlocked in one of the more boring 0-0 ties I've watched in a while. Gotta love ITA's usual tactics of putting 10 behind the ball

Reaction Score
It is very hard for me to watch FIFA do the things it does. It banned one of Greece's top players, probably its top player, Kostas Manolas, twice for the same yellow card for wasting time at the end of a win against Cyprus in the qualifying round. 3 of Croatia's goals were the direct result of having a wingback move into central defense to take over Manolas's spot (from a poor pass to the goalie from a central back, which forced the goalie to take down a pressing attacker in the box, which resulted in an immediate penalty kick, to the new wing back (typically a midfielder) chesting a long ball to the goalie with an attacker right on his heels, and finally a mix-up as the first wing back (who was now supposed to be playing CB) came out to double an attacker on the wing, leaving a striker alone in front of the short side of the goal for an excellent cross, flick into the goal)).

Manolas was banned for the game immediately after Cyprus. Then over a month went by, and during the week of the playoff game, AFTER CALL-UPS, Fifa announced an extra game ban because they said his yellow card was deliberate. Of course it was deliberate, he was wasting time while ahead late in the game!

Such a ban has not been made before. You have players like Falcao agreeing with their opponent to get a yellow to clear their ledger--which strikes me as a much more deliberate act than what Manolas did.

I hate whatever goes on at FIFA--one of the most corrupt organizations.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One reason why I prefer European commentators: The color guy said the 0-0 result of the IRE-DEN game was due to " a lack of quality shown by both teams".

Reaction Score
Looking forward to tonight's match at the San Siro. I have to think Italy pulls through, they just need to avoid the away goal or it could be lights out. Prediction: Italy 1-0, win in penalties.

Reaction Score
Let's get a Italy, US, Chile and Holland round robin tournament in LA during the WC

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's get a Italy, US, Chile and Holland round robin tournament in LA during the WC
I would watch any combination of those teams, BTW, I was mocked when I declared Chile "done" after their poor Confed Cup play. And yet...

Reaction Score
Watching Italy-Sweden yesterday, you had the sense that everyone involved was interested in making sure that Italy wasn't staying home in June, from the announcers to the referee beyond. The first missed handball was as egregious a call as I've ever seen. You could see the referee grab the whistle to call the penalty and then reconsider, as if he had a moment to contemplate the consequences of that call.

Reaction Score
Watching Italy-Sweden yesterday, you had the sense that everyone involved was interested in making sure that Italy wasn't staying home in June, from the announcers to the referee beyond. The first missed handball was as egregious a call as I've ever seen. You could see the referee grab the whistle to call the penalty and then reconsider, as if he had a moment to contemplate the consequences of that call.
The Ref also missed a couple penalty shouts for Italy, he just didn't want the game to be decided by a call of his. The tackle by Lustig on Darmian was such an obvious penalty, but the ref called a non-existent hand ball on Darmian.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm happy to see the Azzurri take a seat for Chiellini alone.

Reaction Score
Australia scores on 3 set-pieces (FK and 2 PKs) to book the penultimate ticket to Russia. Wonder what a US/Australia playoff would've looked like...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom