WCQ matches this week | The Boneyard

WCQ matches this week

Reaction Score
Outside of CONCACAF and the USMNT situation, there are some big/meaningful games beginning tomorrow thru next Tuesday

UEFA:
The closest group is Grp I... Croatia, Iceland, Turkey, and Ukraine are all within 2 points of each other for the top 2 spots in the group. Croatia plays at Ukraine the final match, Iceland is at Turkey Friday.

Wales v Ireland on 10/9 should determine who finishes 2nd in their group

Montenegro v Denmark - both vying for the number 2 place in their group... behind Poland. If Montenegro wins they may need to draw or play Poland close in their final match.

Portugal v Switzerland on Tuesday. The Swiss have a 3 pt advantage, but assuming both win Saturday (as they should), the Swiss will at least a draw since Portugal has a huge advantage in GD. Whoever finishes 2nd will likely qualify in the play in game.

Netherlands v Sweden on 10/10 will be for the 2nd place finish in their group. Sweden has 3 points advantage and a +6 GD, so the Dutch need to lay it on Belarus in a big way on Saturday, and do the same to Sweden to overcome the GD.

Slovakia, Slovenia, and Scotland are all battling for the #2 spot behind England in their group. They all play at least one of each other too. Slovakia has the easiest road.

Greece and Bosnia battling for 2nd place behind Belgium. Greece with the easier road

Spain - some interesting distractions on Team Spain due to the political situation with Catalonia's referendum on Independence. Pique is getting jeered at open practices because of his outspoken stance supporting independence. At least one fan had a sign reading "Pique Out". Spain will qualify for the WC, but will be interesting to see how this plays out with the national team and the club teams located in Catalonia region (Barca, Espanyol, and Girona to name a few)

CONMEBOL
Other than Brazil, 7 (Uruguay, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, and Ecuador) are vying for spots 2 thru 5 (5th place has to play New Zealand home and home).
All the matches mean something... Key matches are: Argentina v Peru, Venezuela v Uruguay, Colombia v Paraguay, Chile v Ecuador, Peru v Colombia, Ecuador v Argentina, Brazil v Chile, Paraguay v Venezuela.

AFC:
Syria v Australia in a home and home, winner will play the 4th place CONCACAF team in November.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
CONMEBOL
Other than Brazil, 7 (Uruguay, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, and Ecuador) are vying for spots 2 thru 5 (5th place has to play New Zealand home and home).
All the matches mean something... Key matches are: Argentina v Peru, Venezuela v Uruguay, Colombia v Paraguay, Chile v Ecuador, Peru v Colombia, Ecuador v Argentina, Brazil v Chile, Paraguay v Venezuela.
Gonna be really tough for both Argentina and Chile to both make it. A very good team could be missing from the WC.

Reaction Score
Watched part of the Syria/Australia first leg this morning. 1-1 draw not a terrible result for Syria. One away goal in Sydney and they're back in business and Australia would be the one on their heels. I'm torn with Syria though. I want to root for them but if you've ever watched "The Dictator's Team" on E:60 you would know that the national team is just a pawn of Bashar al-Assad. Still think Australia advances to face the CONCACAF 4th place team which is, hopefully, not the USA.

Reaction Score
Watched part of the Syria/Australia first leg this morning. 1-1 draw not a terrible result for Syria. One away goal in Sydney and they're back in business and Australia would be the one on their heels. I'm torn with Syria though. I want to root for them but if you've ever watched "The Dictator's Team" on E:60 you would know that the national team is just a pawn of Bashar al-Assad. Still think Australia advances to face the CONCACAF 4th place team which is, hopefully, not the USA.
Syria dominated the 2nd half. Australia will win the 2nd leg at home. The Aussies have not won in something like 7 straight away matches... and they weren't playing top shelf teams either. They struggle on the road. It would be interesting if the US-Syria had to play a home and home. The security situation for the game in Syria would be ridiculous. I almost wonder if FIFA would allow/want them to play both games on neutral soil.

Reaction Score
I'm flipping between the Scotland v Slovakia and England v Slovenia games.
(1) England's national team is VERY boring to watch. Painful.
(2) Slovakia is playing with 10 men since a red card (2nd yellow for diving) mid 1st half. Their goalie - Dubrakva, plays for Sparta Prague - has made 3 or 4 YUGE saves to keep it scoreless thru 55 minutes. Should be an entertaining final 30 minutes

Reaction Score
Scotland finally breaks thru with a goal in the 89th minute... after hitting the woodwork multiple times, SVK's keeper making huge saves the entire 2nd half... If they can hold on for the 3 pts they control their destiny to finish 2nd and keep their WC hopes alive. A pretty entertaining game.

Reaction Score
Syria dominated the 2nd half. Australia will win the 2nd leg at home. The Aussies have not won in something like 7 straight away matches... and they weren't playing top shelf teams either. They struggle on the road. It would be interesting if the US-Syria had to play a home and home. The security situation for the game in Syria would be ridiculous. I almost wonder if FIFA would allow/want them to play both games on neutral soil.
Syria has been playing qualifiers in Malaysia. I would assume that would continue if they got through Australia.

Reaction Score
Argentina would love to be in the USA's crappy situation at this moment.

They just could not get it done vs Peru tonight. The last match day will be amazing.

Reaction Score
Argentina would love to be in the USA's crappy situation at this moment.

They just could not get it done vs Peru tonight. The last match day will be amazing.
While CONMEBOL is the toughest confederation to qualify out of, it is still a fairly forgiving format. If Argentina wins Tuesday, they're guaranteed at least 5th place, which, is pretty much an automatic qualification spot considering they would hammer New Zealand in the playoff. Point being, you only have to finish in the top half of the group to get to Russia. Very similar to CONCACAF.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Scotland finally breaks thru with a goal in the 89th minute... after hitting the woodwork multiple times, SVK's keeper making huge saves the entire 2nd half... If they can hold on for the 3 pts they control their destiny to finish 2nd and keep their WC hopes alive. A pretty entertaining game.

That Scotland team is pretty solid. Much better than we usually see from them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While CONMEBOL is the toughest confederation to qualify out of, it is still a fairly forgiving format. If Argentina wins Tuesday, they're guaranteed at least 5th place, which, is pretty much an automatic qualification spot considering they would hammer New Zealand in the playoff. Point being, you only have to finish in the top half of the group to get to Russia. Very similar to CONCACAF.
I'm thinking Colombia or Peru are gonna be on the outs. They have to play each other. I expect Argentina with their backs completely up against the wall to get 3 point off Ecuador who are eliminated. Even if Chile loses (I think they can fight for a draw vs Brazil who's already through), the only way Colombia and Peru can jump them is with a draw, and then it would come down to GD. It would be tough for them to collude on a draw also. First, they'd have to make sure it didn't look like it and second they'd have to know how many goals they needed in the tie (1-1, 2-2, 3-3) based on Chile's game. Then make sure it was tied up before the end of the game.

Reaction Score
and the Irish get to the playoff round, winning 1-0 at Wales. Bale was out injured (he is injured a lot).

Slovakia is at home hoping for a huge upset of Greece by Gibraltar (in Greece), otherwise they will be the odd 2nd place team out of the playoff.

The "ranking" of 2nd place teams so far is, POT 1 will be drawn against POT 2:

POT 1
1. Portugal (or Switzerland)
2. Italy
3. Denmark
4. Croatia

POT 2
5. Sweden (assuming they don't lose to Netherlands by 6 goals)
6. Northern Ireland
7. Greece (assuming they beat Gibraltar)
8. Ireland

(sorry Slovakia)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, I'm sitting out a "garden leave" (as the Brits would say) before I can start my new job (it is kind of nice getting paid for a couple months to not work), so I can watch a lot of soccer/sports.... I'm watching Australia v Syria right now (WatchESPN). It has gone to AET, after ending 1-1 in regulation, and 2-2 aggregate.
Syria picked up a red card in the first few minutes of AET, so should be Australia's to finish off...but we shall see.

I'd never seen Syria play before, and they are solid. Very organized, especially their back 4. Their goalie should be getting some looks from some clubs in Europe (not one of the top 4 leagues, but some european club). He plays in Syria's pro league now. He has made some solid saves, always looks in control.

Reaction Score
and former Toffee/Red Bull Tim Cahill scores his 2nd of the match to put Australia up 2-1 in the 109th minute. That should all but do it with Syria down a man, and a much more defensive side.

Reaction Score
Messi putting Argentina on his shoulders... 2 goals in the 1st half, Argentina up 2-1 (after they gave up a goal just 38 seconds in to the match to go down 1-0).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UEFA playoffs are set. Draw took place today.

Italy vs Sweden

Northern Ireland vs Switzerland

Greece vs Croatia

Denmark vs Ireland

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What's the deal here - top 4 advance to WC?

they play a home and home, winner of aggregate score is in the WC, loser is out..

Yes, same thing for the other 2 playoffs

Honduras vs Australia

New Zealand vs Peru

And the African countries have a couple more games to play in November.

Then we are all set for the draw on Dec 1.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why is Northern Ireland wearing green? Shouldn't they be wearing orange? Go Switzerland!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom