WCB>WNBA and MCB>NBA ? | The Boneyard

WCB>WNBA and MCB>NBA ?

Reaction Score
Is it just me or do most of you think Women's college basketball is much more fun to watch than the WNBA.
I almost never put on a WNBA game except if one of my favorite ex-Huskies is playing.

I dont' enjoy the NBA at all. The players are too good for the game.
I know it can't really be changed, but the pros need a 12 foot hoop and a longer/wider court.

Reaction Score
Agree on mens basketball but IMO, players in the NBA are not even close to being too good, they just play a horrible brand of basketball. The decision to market the player rather than the game was the beginning of the end for me. That has trickled down to the men’s college game somewhat and was one of the reasons I have by and large switched to the women’s college game. I don’t watch the women pros so I can‘t comment. Again, just my view.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is it just me or do most of you think Women's college basketball is much more fun to watch than the WNBA.
I almost never put on a WNBA game except if one of my favorite ex-Huskies is playing.

I know it can't really be changed, but the pros need a 12 foot hoop and a longer/wider court.

I like seeing Basketball played in a team oriented fashion and at a high level and the WNBA is improving in that style. Lots of excellent shooters and athletic players are coming into the league and scoring and shooting % are up as spacing improves. And the UConn influx including seeing them play against each other is icing.

The Mystics played an almost flawless game against a good defense in the storm and I appreciate the precise passing and shooting at a level you do not see in WCBB very often. That (as well as the tenacious defense and effort) is why I fell in love with UConn WCBB since I have no connection to the physical university. Very few college teams give me any pleasure since they do not play with any precision. I guess ND, Stanford, OU were the teams closest for me. SC or any SEC teams never did it for me because they played a more bully ball style but that is probably changing with SC with the talent influx,

The mens game is not for me in general. I agree the physical talent makes the game too easy for the men although I did enjoy the precision passing and motion of the GS Warriors.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

You're not alone.
I prefer (but it's only a preference, not necessarily better) WCB over WNBA.
MCB over NBA
College Football over NFL
But I also prefer
MLB over College baseball
Pro soccer over college soccer

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN WBB>MCB>WNBA>NBA>Most WCBB for the reasons @eebmg said.
SEC Football>NFL> Rest of College football.
Track & field>Tennis> Lacrosse> Horse Racing> Just about everything else.
Soccer-I can't. I've been americanized not enough scoring.
Field Hockey- Had a daughter win a State Championship and I still don't understand it. Too many whistles.

Reaction Score
I like seeing Basketball played in a team oriented fashion and at a high level and the WNBA is improving in that style. Lots of excellent shooters and athletic players are coming into the league and scoring and shooting % are up as spacing improves. And the UConn influx including seeing them play against each other is icing.

The Mystics played an almost flawless game against a good defense in the storm and I appreciate the precise passing and shooting at a level you do not see in WCBB very often. That (as well as the tenacious defense and effort) is why I fell in love with UConn WCBB since I have no connection to the physical university. Very few college teams give me any pleasure since they do not play with any precision. I guess ND, Stanford, OU were the teams closest for me. SC or any SEC teams never did it for me because they played a more bully ball style but that is probably changing with SC with the talent influx,

The mens game is not for me in general. I agree the physical talent makes the game too easy for the men although I did enjoy the precision passing and motion of the GS Warriors.
I never liked watching mens BB (w/in the last 20 years or so) either, mostly because I got the impression it was more of a "look at me, look what I can do" type of mentality, compared to the women. Too much ego (or testosterone). :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Got to agree with most here. WCBB>WNBA>MCBB>NBA. NFL>College Football in general. Track&Field over anything else probably because I coached it for over 40 years.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Got to agree with most here. WCBB>WNBA>MCBB>NBA. NFL>College Football in general. Track&Field over anything else probably because I coached it for over 40 years.
Were your teams very good? I bet you have a lot of good memories from that career. WCBB and GHSBB are my favorites. It's hard for me to watch MBB of any kind.

Reaction Score
I think the problem with the WNBA is that they're all really good, and there's little separation. So no dynasties. You don't have a New York Yankees, for example. Or a Big Red Machine.

In WCBB, you see tremendous teams that power through their schedules. And when it comes to the Elite Eight, or Final Four, or the championship, there is tremendous excitement.

MCBB hasn't been interesting for many years, because 1) no one knows the rosters- any player worth his salt is gone in a year; and 2) they don't stick around long enough to gell as a team, or to learn the fundamentals. I think that's why there are so many excellent foreign players in the NBA- they learn from early teenage how to play the game as semi-pros and then pros. Here we go from high school to putting in the obligatory year in college. Then straight to the pros where they play games most of the time, rather than train.

The NBA holds little attraction either. Is it me? Or is anyone else bored with the game in which everyone clears out, and one guy goes one-on-one, puts up a shot, no one rebounds, and they all jog to the other end of the court where the process is repeated?

It's what makes Geno's teams so amazing: he drills them in the fundamentals- passing, rebounding, assists, fast transition, with no one taking off a single play. And because the women don't play "above the rim," it's all like soccer, in which ball movement is all-important.

So unless a UConn player is on the court, or a particularly interesting star from elsewhere, I'm not hugely aware of the WNBA.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Can't stand the NBA. It's nearly unwatchable now. From 1984-1998, it was the best game out of all American sports. Bird to Jordan. Now it's close to my least favorite.

I definitely prefer women's college ball over WNBA. The crowds are rowdier in the top campuses. But during the quarantine, I'd rather watch the WNBA than the NBA, tbh.

I prefer the NFL to college football though. Because outside of the SEC, I don't think the other teams play at a competitively strong enough level that I see as actually football at the highest level - hard-hitting, body crashing, helmet slamming, etc. (not homerism, just stating a fact).... it's kinda just 4 or 5 teams over and over again. And the ridiculously uneven talent spread between the top teams vs the rest is just..... bad.

As for soccer and baseball. I watch my team, but generally there's just a lesser sample of great teams to watch in college. Stanford and North Carolina. And college baseball I again default to the SEC although I'm aware the Pac 12 and ACC are just as good (and in softball). In soccer, there's the added appeal of the top players who are distinguished more than the other sports even though NBA distinguishes players very highly too but ehhh.....I just don't care. Don't even know what's going on in men's basketball.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread. My view from a historical standpoint.
In the 80's WCBB was horrible. The skill level was terrible. But the level of skill is so much better and WCBB is very enjoyable to watch. Major negative is the lack of fans for watching the games (save for South Carolina, Mississippi State, UConn, etc.)
MCB started to get bad when the one and done and the high schooler to NBA began. When it was required that MCB players stayed the whole four years, it was awesome. Now, you no longer have the connection
between fan and player that you had in the 70's and 80's. Even the 90's and early 2000s.
WNBA is OK but not great. How else do you explain that they only have 12 teams. Even MLS have double that amount.
Regular season NBA sucks. But playoff NBA is awesome. More defense, more strategy. The best players really step up in the playoffs.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Forty years ago, I was a huge fan of the NBA. I watched some WNBA in the first years of the League. I no longer watch either. I won't elaborate about why I no longer am interested in them, because some people will start to untie the knots in their tongues.
Young people won't understand, but every time I watch the Uconn women play, it reminds of the way the men's game was played years ago........NO drawing attention to yourself, no politics, no playing for a cause; JUST the sport of BASKETBALL!
I hope Geno keeps it that way.

Reaction Score
Young people won't understand, but every time I watch the Uconn women play, it reminds of the way the men's game was played years ago........NO drawing attention to yourself, no politics, no playing for a cause; JUST the sport of BASKETBALL!
I think this also is true with most of the major WCBB teams. I think the fact that WCBB have to stay three or four years helps.

Reaction Score
I watched WNBA all weekend and Tues/Wed. Some pretty good basketball, and some bad/boring basketball. I usually don't like NBA regular season because they play too many games and that detracts from the sense of urgency, plus I don't like all the divas. But I turned on the Lakers vs. Clippers last night - first game back, the 2 best teams and intra-city rivals, etc. Great game. Great team play, and the biggest stars for each team - Kawhi and LeBron - played vicious defense. All-in-all much better basketball than any WNBA game so far this year. (Plus the TV production was much better - they actually had professional announcers, on-site, who called the play-by-play every play, and told you what was going on in the game instead of blathering on and on about other garbage during the game action).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You're not alone.
I prefer (but it's only a preference, not necessarily better) WCB over WNBA.
MCB over NBA
College Football over NFL
But I also prefer
MLB over College baseball
Pro soccer over college soccer
For the most part I'd rather watch the Association over MCB. But I'll watch any NFL over say Idaho vs Montana. Let's be realistic.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Outside of the Olympics, it's WCBB top 25. Especially UConn. Geno & Chris have required the ladies to learn and execute the game of basketball at its finest along with sportsmanship and conduct to reflect positively on UConn.

It's my opinion that many WCBB coaches are striving to reach the UConn level of play.

Quit watching NBA shortly after the Bird/Magic era. MCBB or NBA light. Not interested. Watching children stick the ball into a little hoop is entertaining and a joy to watch. Adult men, not so much.

Never was a big NFL fan and haven't seen a game since the kneeling began.

Had started watching the WNBA(following the UConn women and Delle Donne) then the players seemed to think they should use my TV time for their politics.

Reaction Score
After the wnba teams walked out on The National Anthem! I don't care about their league including the former UConn players! They should be ashamed of themselves! I have family and friends who fought and died for this country!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In general I prefer college to pro, regardless of sport. I was a HUGE men's college bball junkie for as long as I can remember. But then...my interest started waning. Just too many one and doners, too many scandals, got harder for me to care about it. Somewhere in the last 2-3 years my attention has really shifted to wcbb. I guess it was gradual where I got more interested in the women's game, and then with my disappointment over the current state of mcbb it was natural for it to fill the void.

Reaction Score
I couldn't have imagined saying this prior to 2007 (thank you Angel McCoughtry) but WCBB has it all over MCBB. And this is coming from a guy who had Louisville men's season tickets since 1978 and went to men's regionals and Final Fours for 30 years.

My other "favorite" sport is NFL and that is because I'm a Fantasy Football junkie.

Reaction Score
Forty years ago, I was a huge fan of the NBA. I watched some WNBA in the first years of the League. I no longer watch either. I won't elaborate about why I no longer am interested in them, because some people will start to untie the knots in their tongues.
UConn plays like the Knicks during the Walt Frazier era. Premium on team defense and the ball in continuous motion on offense. Most of all, though, the game is played below the rim.

Reaction Score
I like wcbb - in particular UCONN - because of both familiarity, they win a lot, and I'm from CONNECTICUT.

In regards to winning, I would by lying if winning wasn't also a part of it. They don't need to win a championship to get me excited to watch them. I still loved watching them play this year even though chances were they weren't going to win. But I still got a chance to watch the number 5 team and two WNBA players.

As far as being from CT, what I mean by that is that we're a basketball state, just like Indiana. I grew up with hoop as my favorite sport to watch and to play and I was better at it vs the others. IMO the State of CT bleeds hoop.

As far as familiarity, WCBB I get to see players 3-4 years. I really enjoy projecting the future. Right now with all other major sports, you can';t do that with them. I don't begrudge the players for making a buck but I don't enjoy what it does to teams if I were to look specifically at hoop.

I hate the NBA because year to year you can't rely on many teams to build long-term. Think of how excited many of us are thinking of this year and the future with our current team. We can project the future to certain degree. With the NBA - it's about where is the superstar going to go and who is going to follow him. Then because teams are built primarily for short runs you'll get one or two players ball-dominant in which two years from now you could have 4-5 of your top 6-7 players jettisoned to different teams. **I can't follow it. ***Very little fun if i can't follow it and I don't know much about the new players coming in.

***And because a lot of the super players were/are one-and-done type players in college or come overseas - I don't have the fan excitement that I used to have unless i have the NBA Package and am watching games from different teams nearly every night. LOL with that.

**********Look at the men's aboard-- they are already talking about how Bouknight is going to leave after his 2nd year and which unknown player will backfill his production. And the team hasn't been very good and probably is no way an E8 team, and my star player is going to go. They will be more interesting this year but it's a shame he probably won't stay long enough as Kemba did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom