WBCA names COY award after Pat | The Boneyard

WBCA names COY award after Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno already won it 8 times. Pat won it 5 times.

It's a bit confusing. The announcement said, "Russell Athletic and the Women's Basketball Coaches Association announced that the commemorative award presented to the Russell Athletic/WBCA National Coaches of the Year will be named The Pat Summitt Trophy." Is it just the trophy that's named after her, or the award? Sounds like the WBCA & Russell Athletic made some kind of deal with Pat to borrow the use of her name.

Reaction Score
It would be hilarious if he wins it and refuses to accept it because of the name of the trophy.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It would be hilarious if he wins it and refuses to accept it because of the name of the trophy.
Do you have any idea how offensive that remark appears - it demeans Geno - who, I'm almost certain I read on the BY has acknowledged Pat's role in developing the game during her prime - and appears to, in some way, mock the reason for naming the trophy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Do you have any idea how offensive that remark appears - it demeans Geno - who, I'm almost certain I read on the BY has acknowledged Pat's role in developing the game during her prime - and appears to, in some way, mock the reason for naming the trophy.

You're being ridiculous. Get off the soapbox before you fall and hurt yourself.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You're being ridiculous. Get off the soapbox before you fall and hurt yourself.
If he was making a joke - I have no problem with it. An emoticon would do the trick. I made the joke in my house - "wonder if Geno would accept" - to someone who knew I was joking.

But if serious as it seems - everything I have ever heard about Geno implies that he would graciously accept the award. If I am wrong about that, then I would actually start believing some of the nasty stuff that folks say and I don't believe..

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Of course he was making a joke - it just wasn't particularly funny.

Reaction Score
No. I do not have an idea how offensive that remark appears.
It was a joke. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits