WBCA Div 1 Coach of the Year Finalists

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
DY6CIXJXkAMNQue.jpg

Some I don't understand.

Reaction Score
What is WBCA?

Oh I found out it is Women's Basketball Coaches Association.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Could think of at least 3 Pac 12 coaches more deserving than Cori Close. What was the criteria for the finalists they chose? Weird.

Reaction Score
Very Interesting.... Look at the Final FOUR Candidates for the Naismith Coach of the Year, vs this list of finalists... No Geno, no Kelly Graves. They were one of FOUR finalists for the NAISMITH Coach of the Year award...but not included in the list of 10 for the WBCA award??

Reaction Score
As Geno told his players, you should not care/worry about an award that is voted on by other people.
Not sure if this was intended to be in response to my previous comment, but since it was the next post, I assume it could be....
I know what Geno has told his Team about individual awards and he is probably not terribly bothered by the list of candidates... And I know that UConn's players would rather have The National Championship Trophy than any individual award. MY Point was... Geno was one of FOUR Finalists for NAISMITH (potentially viewed as a more significant award)...but he isn't included in the list of 10 for the WBCA Coach of the Year. He had the toughest OOC schedule, he led his team to an Undefeated Season... OOC, Conference, Conference Tournament ... and he isn't even on the list of those considered for WBCA Coach of the Year. Pretty Odd in my humble opinion.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was intended to be in response to my previous comment, but since it was the next post, I assume it could be....
I know what Geno has told his Team about individual awards and he is probably not terribly bothered by the list of candidates... And I know that UConn's players would rather have The National Championship Trophy than any individual award. MY Point was... Geno was one of FOUR Finalists for NAISMITH (potentially viewed as a more significant award)...but he isn't included in the list of 10 for the WBCA Coach of the Year. He had the toughest OOC schedule, he led his team to an Undefeated Season... OOC, Conference, Conference Tournament ... and he isn't even on the list of those considered for WBCA Coach of the Year. Pretty Odd in my humble opinion.

I agree the list is odd, and my comment was not meant to be a response to your original post, but it just reinforces what Geno said when you relying on a bunch of people voting for something, you can't control the outcome.

Reaction Score
I don't know specifics except that each NCAA region gets ONE nominee. So you wouldn't see both Graves and Rueck. I assume there's a Pacific Northwest region, and thus their nominee was the UC Davis coach.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Vic probably deserves the award. He also deserves an award for his “piranhas on a roast” line, followed by a 62-point improvement the following year.
Haha! I forgot about piranhas on a roast! Proud for Vic. Others are deserving too, but wanted to see him get at least one major award.

Geno not being on the list is ludicrous.

They showered MSU with love as Johnnie Harris was named Asst. of the Year

18WBK_Harris.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Seriously. Kelly Graves has done a great job with Oregon. They just might be a final four team. Beyond? I shudder to think.
I think Oregon will be even better next year. They bring literally everyone back save Lexi Bando and add fantastic freshman Satou Sabally's younger sister as well. I'd put them #2 or 3 next season - up there with UCONN and not sure who else yet (maybe ND and Baylor/Texas?)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think Oregon will be even better next year. They bring literally everyone back save Lexi Bando and add fantastic freshman Satou Sabally's younger sister as well. I'd put them #2 or 3 next season - up there with UCONN and not sure who else yet (maybe ND and Baylor/Texas?)
Agreed about Oregon.

Notre Dame only loses Westbeld and Nelson (and Thompson, who's missed the second half of the season anyway). They get back Turner and Johnson and Vaughn. They will be very good.

Baylor will be very tough as well. They only lose Wallace and Cohen, and they landed a killer recruiting class.

Louisville only loses Hines-Allen, which is a big loss, but I expect them to be tough again.

Not as sure about Texas, who loses Atkins and McCarty. Higgs will be great next year, and hopefully Holmes will take a leap, but beyond that it's pretty unclear who will lead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom