WBB v MBB | The Boneyard

WBB v MBB

Reaction Score
As I'm walking the track around the inside track of my gym reflecting on the excellence and talent of the just completed Gamecocks versus Huskies game I can't help but notice what's happening on the four indoor courts here.

On one court a Dad is working with his daughter and has been for the last hour on fundamental drills foot placement, shooting touch, and dribbling.

The other three courts have guys playing. One has middle schoolers three on three, the other two have older teenagers playing four on four.

If my math is correct that's 22 guys playing and one girl working on fundamentals.

I just noticed the daughter has weighted ankle wraps on. (Don't know if that's an advisable training technique but man her dad is really connecting with her now she's shooting free throws looks like she needs to make 50 in a row before their session is over) She looks like she's about 13 or 14 years old and has been focused and concentrating with her dad.

Don't know what to make of the number disparity or the approach is taking but I think it does offer a glimpse into the challenges in growing women's game.

Reaction Score
Yeah. As a girl's high school basketball coach, it is always crazy to see when I have open gym for the girls vs when the boys coach has open gym for the boys. We have three courts at our high school plus three more in our aux gym. We can count on one had the number of girls that show up for open gym sessions. The boys have will have a waiting list for both gyms!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Pre-covid I used to use a walking track around a gym, city owned. Typically, for many years, there was a group of older men that played during lunch hour - the youngest may have been in their 20's and the older ones were in their 50's or maybe early 60's. On a half length court. There was one slightly younger female who was a very good shooter that participated sometimes.

There were also occasional youth coaches working with individuals, and this was about 50% male / female youth person, always male coach / parent.

Very rarely you would see a younger group, which was typically almost all male, a very rare female might join, or might just be shooting on an unused basket.

Never a group of girls / young women playing. So yes, sad, here in Arizona.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom