WBB NCAA Regional Attendance Drops | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WBB NCAA Regional Attendance Drops

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Maybe someone needs to define what "grow the sport" means.

Does it mean wanting the arena seats more than half-filled so it looks good to the people watching on TV? Does it "grow the sport" to always have a regional within one or two driving hours from UConn's campus? It's great that UConn fans support their team so much; hats off to you for that. But, how does that help "grow the sport" in other parts of the country if one regional is always gift-wrapped to UConn fans? Four consecutive years of regionals in Albany and Bridgeport tells me the NCAA wants the ticket revenue above all else. Do these cities even bid on regionals if there isn't a 90% chance that UConn will be a participating school there?

Does it mean spreading the regionals around annually so fans in/near different cities around the country get to attend in person and experience these games first hand? That will not guarantee high ticket sales. But, if you only give a city one year to "prove" the nearby fans will support the regional, are you really giving them a fair chance? Perhaps this is why they give Lexington three consecutive years to host. It didn't work. And, I don't care how many times it is stated that it is a "neutral" site because UK women play their games in the Coliseum and not in Rupp Arena, I won't buy it. Rupp Arena is the school's main basketball arena. I will never understand the NCAA's logic in this decision.

So, the current format isn't necessarily about being "fair" to all programs and their fans. I see mixed signals with what the NCAA is trying to accomplish based on their regional host site choices. Maybe once they are honest with themselves about their priorities, they will figure out some better solutions.

This past December, the women's volleyball regionals were hosted by the highest remaining seeds remaining in each region; for many years before that, it was pre-determined on-campus hosts. The arenas in Lincoln, Austin, Minneapolis, and Madison were packed. It looked amazing on TV. Seeing all the fans in the stands, and the excitement. 3 of 4 host schools advanced to the Final Four. TV ratings were at an all time high, I believe. But, I still don't understand how that "grows the sport". That was the purpose of this decision. So, perhaps "grow the sport" means getting fans across the country to watch ESPN's network of channels.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I just had a brief chat with Doug Bruno about his proposal to have two 8 team Super-Regionals. I'd still opt for one 8 team super regional, and two traditional regionals, but if they decide to have two super-regionals, one of which is in Bridgeport, I'm not going to fight it :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
About the Southeast. Myrtle Beach doesnt have a arena.... Charleston isnt a particulary easy city to get to.. Charlotte doesnt make any sense unless you are gonna have the regional at UNC-Charlotte's campus arena... which seats 9,100. Cant see them bidding for a Women's regional at the Spectrum Center when they already have NBA basketball..... the CIAA tourney... and on occasion... 1st and second round of the Men's NCAAs and ACC tourney. Which city in the southeast has supported women's basketball the best? Lets see..... you have a city that has a arena which held the biggest women's conference tournament for 17 years straight.... and has hosted WCBB regionals in 1999, 2007, 2008, and 2015. It trademarked the moniker Tournament Town.... Hint.... its not Charlotte or Raleigh :cool:
Well UNC Charlotte is the size of Bridgeport so if they can sell out it's better than the 3,200 they got this year and better Than the 6,100 Baylor drew in Dallas during Elite Eight last year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Let's see ...

18-35 year old men in Las Vegas are going to choose to spend their time in Sin City watching women's basketball.

Good luck with that.
More 45-75 year old guys with their wives....

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
About the Southeast. Myrtle Beach doesnt have a arena.... Charleston isnt a particulary easy city to get to.. Charlotte doesnt make any sense unless you are gonna have the regional at UNC-Charlotte's campus arena... which seats 9,100. Cant see them bidding for a Women's regional at the Spectrum Center when they already have NBA basketball..... the CIAA tourney... and on occasion... 1st and second round of the Men's NCAAs and ACC tourney. Which city in the southeast has supported women's basketball the best? Lets see..... you have a city that has a arena which held the biggest women's conference tournament for 17 years straight.... and has hosted WCBB regionals in 1999, 2007, 2008, and 2015. It trademarked the moniker Tournament Town.... Hint.... its not Charlotte or Raleigh :cool:
you could host it at Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte with a seating capacity of 8600 and it would be much more accessible to/from uptown than UNCC

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
you could host it at Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte with a seating capacity of 8600 and it would be much more accessible to/from uptown than UNCC

1) Bojangles is good enough for the Checkers... but is it good/nice enough to hold a regional?

2) Why have it in Charlotte anyway? They havent show any interest in having a regional.... unlike Greensboro or Raleigh.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
1) Bojangles is good enough for the Checkers... but is it good/nice enough to hold a regional?

2) Why have it in Charlotte anyway? They havent show any interest in having a regional.... unlike Greensboro or Raleigh.

Was just responding to your comment re-UNCC as the location. If Charlotte were to bid Bojangles would make more sense is all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom