WBB in Arizona | The Boneyard

WBB in Arizona

Reaction Score
Lots to look forward to in Arizona for fans of the two PAC-12 teams. I can see both teams advancing to the Sweet Sixteen and having a puncher's chance to go further, dependent on the matchup. The PAC-12 league play has hardened both squads and they both play very hard-nosed team defense. If McDonald shoots well from the outside, Arizona may surprise and make the Elite 8. Both Arizona schools may be vulnerable to a solid inside game. But most teams are as well...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Northern Arizona University Lumberjacks currently reside in second place in the Big Sky.

Certainly a 1 bid league, so they have a chance to punch a ticket w/ their conference tourney.

Grand Canyon is 2nd in the WAC currently.

Reaction Score
Certainly a 1 bid league, so they have a chance to punch a ticket w/ their conference tourney.

Grand Canyon is 2nd in the WAC currently.
Lopes put their 5 game winning streak on the line tonight against league leading University of Missouri KC tonight.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lopes put their 5 game winning streak on the line tonight against league leading University of Missouri KC tonight.

Trailing the 'Roos by 5 at the half.

Reaction Score
Lots to look forward to in Arizona for fans of the two PAC-12 teams. I can see both teams advancing to the Sweet Sixteen and having a puncher's chance to go further, dependent on the matchup. The PAC-12 league play has hardened both squads and they both play very hard-nosed team defense. If McDonald shoots well from the outside, Arizona may surprise and make the Elite 8. Both Arizona schools may be vulnerable to a solid inside game. But most teams are as well...
Hoping Arizona gets a 3 or 4 seed so they can host the first weekend - 2-hour drive to Tucson

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lopes extend their streak to six in a row with a 6 point win on the road. They also take over first place in the WAC!

Outscored UMKC 21-7 in Q4.

Reaction Score
Jacks struggling on the road against Northern Colorado. Down by 10 midway through second period. Jacks handled UNCO by 27 at home earlier in the year.

Down by 6 at the half. Horrible 20 minutes of shooting....28 per sent from the field and free throw line. ICE COLD.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After trailing by as many as 15 in the first have the Jacks opened the second half with a 9-0 run in route to a 71-60 victory over UNCO to maintain second place in the Big Sky conference.

Reaction Score
Both Grand Canyon and NAU ladies won last night. The Lopes remain atop The WAC and The Lumberjacks are in sole possession of second place in the Big Sky.

The Jacks were taken to double overtime before winning by 3 by the Idaho Vandals. The Vandals had in the starting lineup two sisters from the village of Fairfield in Montana. The older girl Lizzie a senior scored 27 and look really good offensively. Her sister a junior Natalie was strong in the paint for the defensive-minded Vandals.

I googled Fairfield population 700 just west of Great Falls Montana. It appears that they were a past basketball powerhouse before and during the time of the Klinger sisters going undefeated for at least three years in a row in the past 10 years. Wondered if any Montana BYers have more to say about this school's program.

it looks like according to Max Preps in the seven seasons between 07-08 and 13-14 the Fairfield Eagles lost a total of six games and went undefeated from 2010 to 2014 winning four state titles in a row. In six of the seven years it appears they were the state titlist in their class.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It dawned on me that Fairfield sounded familiar and I was thinking of Barta. I can't name too many players from Montana. The Tinkle sisters come to mind as well.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Both Grand Canyon and NAU ladies won last night. The Lopes remain atop The WAC and The Lumberjacks are in sole possession of second place in the Big Sky.

The Jacks were taken to double overtime before winning by 3 by the Idaho Vandals. The Vandals had in the starting lineup two sisters from the village of Fairfield in Montana. The older girl Lizzie a senior scored 27 and look really good offensively. Her sister a junior Natalie was strong in the paint for the defensive-minded Vandals.

I googled Fairfield population 700 just west of Great Falls Montana. It appears that they were a past basketball powerhouse before and during the time of the Klinger sisters going undefeated for at least three years in a row in the past 10 years. Wondered if any Montana BYers have more to say about this school's program.

it looks like according to Max Preps in the seven seasons between 07-08 and 13-14 the Fairfield Eagles lost a total of six games and went undefeated from 2010 to 2014 winning four state titles in a row. In six of the seven years it appears they were the state titlist in their class.

One thing to keep in mind is that Fairfield is playing a class up. They’re supposed to be Class C, Montana’s smallest, but are playing in Class B. IMO, that makes it more impressive.

Belt High School, which is just east of Great Falls, won the class C championship in 12, 13, 14, 16, and 17. Their coach was one of Gordon’s (the HC at Fairfield) assistants.

There is a strong history of girls basketball in Montana, and an even more interesting history when you look specifically at the schools on the reservations.

I’ve suggested this documentary before, but you might be interested. It’s older now (I think it was filmed in 05-06 because I recognize a friend of mine playing in one of the games and it’s before Gordon goes to Fairfield), but it’s a good look into small town basketball in MT. And it’s narrated by Phil Jackson. Win, win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2022 update:

Grand Canyon

Undefeated (admittedly weak pre conference schedule so far) and like previous Molly Miller teams scoring and stealing the ball.

The first test comes Friday and I'm really interested to see how well the Lopes play at home against a quality opponent. If there weren't so many other great games on TV I'd drive down the I17 to see this one.

Visit ESPN for the game summary of the North Dakota Fighting Hawks vs. Grand Canyon Lopes NCAAW basketball game on November 25, 2022 North Dakota vs. Grand Canyon - Women's College Basketball Game Summary - November 25, 2022 | ESPN
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

NAU

After losing Superstar Kiaraca Rasheed and three undergraduate reserves to transfer Loree Payne brings back senior point guard and assist king Regan Schenck, Emily Rodebaugh and the Moran twins two NCAA women's basketball players who played an elite level. It also looks like she has two winners and freshman Sophie Clancy 6 ft forward with a body to bang and Taylor Feldman who looks to be the heir apparent to Regan. Reagan nearly matched Nika Muhl with 13 assists in a game the Jacks should have won down in Tempe against the Sun Devils.

The Jacks face a monumental challenge at Paradise jam opening against the undefeated Arkansas Razorbacks. The Jacks follow that up with a game against undefeated Kansas State. I think coach Barnes and the kitties might take a hint from this kind of preseason schedule.
Visit ESPN for the game summary of the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks vs. Arkansas Razorbacks NCAAW basketball game on November 24, 2022 Northern Arizona vs. Arkansas - Women's College Basketball Game Summary - November 24, 2022 | ESPN

The wildcats of Tucson head to their holiday tournament with I think a number of questions that coach Barnes is trying to sort out. They do have ex Sun Devil Jade Loville as her shooting guard and while she hasn't found her stroke yet I think this tournament will give some insight into what she can do once conference play begins.

Barnes takes her squad to San Diego and they'll face off against Cal Baptist.

Visit ESPN for the game summary of the California Baptist Lancers vs. Arizona Wildcats NCAAW basketball game on November 25, 2022 California Baptist vs. Arizona - Women's College Basketball Game Summary - November 25, 2022 | ESPN

And the currently undefeated Sun Devils head to the Caribbean for the goomba splash. It looks like they'll have a warm up against American before they get the opportunity to face the Fighting Irish. Oy.

The Devils will end November with a must see match in Phoenix against the Grand Canyon Antelopes. Some of you may recall that ASU President Michael Crow in the past stated he would never engage in athletic contests with the Antelopes due to their status. Clearly this is illustrative of the perils of never.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Northern Arizona University Lumberjacks currently reside in second place in the Big Sky.
Good to see NAU making that climb. They have not been really decent in a looooong time. I think it has been two decades. When Laurie Kelly was there.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
2022 update:

NAU

After losing Superstar Kiaraca Rasheed
Who?
Gary Coleman 80S GIF

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
NAU's quality is still indeterminate. They may indeed do well, they have won against 3 non-major opponents. But I think their conference success (or lack) will be the only way to tell. I don't think they are going to upset anyone major in the OOC.

As noted in another thread, Arizona's schedule will be better next year, they are doing a destination tournament, finishing the Texas series from a few years back, playing Gonzaga, etc. The article linked in that thread was all about the difficulties scheduling good competition for good western teams.

Reaction Score
Good to see NAU making that climb. They have not been really decent in a looooong time. I think it has been two decades. When Laurie Kelly was there.
Actually with the hiring of Loree Payne 6 years ago the Jacks have improved particularly the last three years

2019-20 16-15 conference 12-8
2020-21 15-14 conference 10-10
2021-22 17-14 conference 12-8
Edit - played in The Big sky championship game 2022

And you're right the real glory years were when CTT led the team 30 years ago. I do think Payne is putting together a program here that will be able to compete with the elite in the Big Sky Montana schools and Idaho State.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
this is the one season I would have liked to seen Arizona schedule harder in non conference. I know it's not easy. but Baylor is their only ranked non conference team.

Reaction Score
this is the one season I would have liked to seen Arizona schedule harder in non conference. I know it's not easy. but Baylor is their only ranked non conference team.

I agree. Scheduling is not easy. Some programs don't mind playing an up-and-coming program like Arizona because they view it as a win/win for women's basketball, in terms of growing the game plus a chance to "expand" their recruiting ground. Some programs shy away from playing an up-and-coming program because they view those games selfishly, like "what is in it for me?" mindset. They don't see the benefits of those games and what it does beyond the win/loss aspect. Also, there is always things that classic scheduling conflict. Sometimes, dates just do not mesh. But, IMHO, Arizona is playing a decent non-conference schedule. Don't sleep on New Mexico, California Baptist University, or San Diego. Well, maybe you could sleep on San Diego. But this is a decent non-conference schedule. Good balance.

Reaction Score
I agree. Scheduling is not easy. Some programs don't mind playing an up-and-coming program like Arizona because they view it as a win/win for women's basketball, in terms of growing the game plus a chance to "expand" their recruiting ground. Some programs shy away from playing an up-and-coming program because they view those games selfishly, like "what is in it for me?" mindset. They don't see the benefits of those games and what it does beyond the win/loss aspect. Also, there is always things that classic scheduling conflict. Sometimes, dates just do not mesh. But, IMHO, Arizona is playing a decent non-conference schedule. Don't sleep on New Mexico, California Baptist University, or San Diego. Well, maybe you could sleep on San Diego. But this is a decent non-conference schedule. Good balance.
Massey has the kitties SOS 207

Since the kitties play Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon twice they achieved this 207 SOS with a really, really weak nonconference schedule.

The kitties are next to last in Pac-12 in SOS with only the Beavers having a weaker schedule.

According to Massey the following have tougher schedules

Every other Pac 12 team with the exception of Oregon State and

Texas AM Commerce
Lindenwood
Pepperdine
St Peters
Coastal Carolina
Denver
NE Omaha
Howard
Kennesaw

Stanford Gonzaga and Idaho are all West Coast teams in the top 20 SOS.

I will credit Barnes for the game against Baylor. They did play Texas with MacDonald. And of course the kitties did beat the Huskies.

Traditionally the kitties do play a Kim Mulkey type non-conference schedule.

Already completed cupcakes

CSU Northridge 0-5
LMU 1-3
Long Beach 1-3

New Mexico is 2-3
UCSD is 3-2
Cal Baptist is 2-2 ( gave up 110 points to NAU Lumberjacks at home)

Upcoming cupcakes include

Texas Southern. 0-6
UT Arlington 2-2

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think the Arizona Wildcats are in for a bumpy ride this season in the PAC12 as many teams will circle those games on their calendar. Maybe I am still a bit perturbed by how Aida handled the win over UConn 2 seasons ago so to me, a bit of schadenfreude would be nice to go with the humble pie....:D

Reaction Score
I think the Arizona Wildcats are in for a bumpy ride this season in the PAC12 as many teams will circle those games on their calendar. Maybe I am still a bit perturbed by how Aida handled the win over UConn 2 seasons ago so to me, a bit of schadenfreude would be nice to go with the humble pie....:D
Couldn't agree more. Both of your points are well taken.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I find it kind of confusing that folks are criticizing Adia Barnes for scheduling a weak non-conference schedule when she's literally been publicly pleading that better non-conference opponents be willing to play her team:

Adia Barnes, other top coaches struggle to lock in games; costs, wins and fanbases a factor

One of Adia Barnes’ first tasks as Arizona’s head coach was setting the schedule.
It seems like everyone wanted to play the Wildcats back in the 2016-17 season. Barnes said she could have booked her nonconference schedule in three days.
This year, it took Barnes seven months. On Sunday, No. 19 Arizona (1-0) will take on Cal State Northridge (0-2) at McKale Center.
“It’s hard to schedule games when you have a difficult venue to play in,” Barnes said. “We have a lot of fans that come to our games and McKale (Center) is a tough place to play. People don’t want to travel to play in McKale ... That’s a good thing.” . . .

Barnes isn’t the only coach who has issues finishing schedules. . . . Stanford has had the most trouble booking games. This year’s schedule wasn’t finished until Sept. 7, less than two months before their home opener against San Diego State.

“There’s a lot of, I don’t want to call it gamesmanship, but there seems to be a lot of juggling of games. You know, ‘Can I get a better game? Can I get more (money for it)?’” VanDerveer told the Star. “I voted for more conference games so that we wouldn’t have to spend as much time on the scheduling of nonconference games, but that didn’t pass or it did pass and then it got re-voted on. But it’s very hard on the West (Coast) to schedule 11 nonconference games.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom