Wayne Lineburg Offensive Coordinator? | The Boneyard

Wayne Lineburg Offensive Coordinator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rather than bring in someone new at this point in the season, Wayne Lineburg should immediately be promoted to interim Offensive Coordinator. He has more experience than Verducci as an Offensive Coordinator and he held that position at Richmond. It wouldn't be a drastic change but it would send a loud message. This sheit has to stop!

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: Wayne Lineburg Bio :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Football

Verducci has tons of experience but I question his ability to run the offense. When he was hired in 2015 this is what was written about him on the UCONN blog.

"To my untrained eye, it appears that both Lineburg and Patterson are eminently more qualified than the guy who will be managing them next year."

Verducci has worked for nine different teams in the 15-plus years since he left Iowa, including a different team in each of the past seven years. Most recently he was coaching tight ends and offensive tackles at FCS Northern Iowa.

New OC headlines changes to offensive staff

Reaction Score
Time for OC. VErducci to go & HCBD to take his energy sucking vamp routine (remember that one) and his batman bull sheet elsewhere.
Futile, pathetic.

Reaction Score
This is a good suggestion. What the heck is Benedict doing behind the scenes? Tell Bob to make the change and leave the offense alone.

The problem is, Bob still has his hand in on Defense. This is his defense. No pressure, corners soft, bend don't break.

Reaction Score
Wayne Lineburg? He is the QB coach...a position that has not seen ANY improvement by it's main player this season. IMHO he should actually be replaced by a REAL qb coach...who will also double down as OC.

Did you note that I used the word interim? In case you don't know a qb coach and an offensive coordinator are two distinct functions. Wayne Linberg has served in that capacity. Before UCONN Vertucci never did. Bringing in a brand new guy? Too late in the season.

Reaction Score
Did you note that I used the word interim? In case you don't know a qb coach and an offensive coordinator are two distinct functions. Wayne Linberg has served in that capacity. Before UCONN Vertucci never did. Bringing in a brand new guy? Too late in the season.
I was making a point that he can't even do his job at a decent enough level coaching qb'a..why give him the keys to the offense. He never set the world on fire as a OC either.

Reaction Score
Diaco has proven he is a very poor chooser of offensive coordinators. Patterson was able to collect social security and Verducci isn't far behind. Not saying old guys can't succeed as coordinators (see Don Brown) but would be nice to see an OC with a recent, stress recent, record of success.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like any change on the offensive side of the ball. I am not sure why he would trust someone who never has run an offense in his life nevermind at this level.

The defensive side of the ball I hate the corners being so far off the wide outs as it leaves short screens to the wide receivers open all day long. Mix up the coverage's so teams can't pick you apart as UCF did yesterday. Make the opposing team wonder what your doing instead of them dictating the game

Reaction Score
I was making a point that he can't even do his job at a decent enough level coaching qb'a..why give him the keys to the offense. He never set the world on fire as a OC either.

Ok, then what would be your short term remedy for fixing our red zone issues? I have offered my best solution for now

Reaction Score
Ok, then what would be your short term remedy for fixing our red zone issues? I have offered my best solution for now
I would go double TE and use motion to get them into the slot if need be...also use them as a extra blocker/FB. get BS rolling out to the right a little more (to motion) giving him the option to run/pass. throw some more back corner fades to Thomas.

Reaction Score
Rather than bring in someone new at this point in the season, Wayne Lineburg should immediately be promoted to interim Offensive Coordinator. He has more experience than Verducci as an Offensive Coordinator and he held that position at Richmond. It wouldn't be a drastic change but it would send a loud message. This sheit has to stop!

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: Wayne Lineburg Bio :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Football

Verducci has tons of experience but I question his ability to run the offense. When he was hired in 2015 this is what was written about him on the UCONN blog.

"To my untrained eye, it appears that both Lineburg and Patterson are eminently more qualified than the guy who will be managing them next year."

Verducci has worked for nine different teams in the 15-plus years since he left Iowa, including a different team in each of the past seven years. Most recently he was coaching tight ends and offensive tackles at FCS Northern Iowa.

New OC headlines changes to offensive staff
Uconn blog nailed it way in advance. Super prescient article

Reaction Score
Changing the oc means nothing if the system stays the same, Diaco wants an ultra run heavy stall offense so nothing will change if he's in charge of picking the oc

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I would go double TE and use motion to get them into the slot if need be...also use them as a extra blocker/FB. get BS rolling out to the right a little more (to motion) giving him the option to run/pass. throw some more back corner fades to Thomas.[/QUOTE
#FDNY4OC

Reaction Score
Changing the oc means nothing if the system stays the same, Diaco wants an ultra run heavy stall offense so nothing will change if he's in charge of picking the oc

Your right it depends how much control he is given. If a change is made, I say go with Lineberg. and give him some rope. Diaco and him go way back to UVA days.

Reaction Score

Neither he nor Verducci can personally throw deep for BS. I love the kids toughness but let's not forget NCS wanted to make him a fullback.

Reaction Score

This is true and this is where the question would be asked by Lineburg about control of the offenseive play calling. Remember Lineburg was both an OC as well as a head coach so he knows what it means to have control and also about relinquishing it.

Reaction Score

Bloom and Meyers aren't Gronk and Bennett but if you are referring to something like how the Pats utilize a two tight end set then for starters I agree. Both have been under utilized and if used more will open things for Noel Thomas. We need a more explosive and much less conservative offense fueled by an effective running game.

Patriots Offense Will Lean On Heavier Two Tight End Sets

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Neither he nor Verducci can personally throw deep for BS. I love the kids toughness but let's not forget NCS wanted to make him a fullback.
You and I are definitely on the same page about BS.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Correct. Benedict should be solely responsible for the hire, and Bobby Redpants needs to be told he will have to listen to the new OC regarding his philosophy and implement any changes he wants to make. And Benedict ought to look for a guy with plenty of experience, even some head coaching experience perhaps, so the message is clearly delivered that if Bobby keeps screwing things up, the new OC is primed and ready to step in and become the head coach at any moment. It's time to put up or shut up and hit the highway.

Reaction Score
Reality (IMO) with this coaching regime (made real because we're now in year 3), a "play not to lose" style makes losing worse than if we really sucked... We're not a bad football team talent wise, but the style sucks.... We don't have to blow a team out by 30 or anything, but when we got a team by the throat you can let up.. You just can't ... Up 13-0 in the 1st quarter doesn't mean let up. If opportunities BIGGER than a heavy run play, audible out... get that one on one match up on the outside for Noel Thomas Jr, or the TE over the middle, or screen pass play to Arkeel... What do we do? "Control" the tempo... That's not the players doing that, imo.... Kick their ass early (like we should've on Saturday), then the game later on is already in hand....
Frustation coming up.. my bad for the cussing....

Reaction Score
I would go double TE and use motion to get them into the slot if need be...also use them as a extra blocker/FB. get BS rolling out to the right a little more (to motion) giving him the option to run/pass. throw some more back corner fades to Thomas.

How about this. . . .the old jump pass to a TE?

Reaction Score
The OC is not to blame. Look at our QB!! Bryant Shirreff's QBR is 42.6, which ranks him 103rd out of 128. Terrible. The kid has a ton of guts and he says all the right things, but come on mannn. He isn't a D1 starting QB.

Reaction Score
The OC is not to blame. Look at our QB!! Bryant Shirreff's QBR is 42.6, which ranks him 103rd out of 128. Terrible. The kid has a ton of guts and he says all the right things, but come on mannn. He isn't a D1 starting QB.

OK, dude, enough with the numbers. We get it. ESPN thinks he sucks. . . .by the way, how much does red zone efficiency fit into that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom