Way Too Early Top 25 For 2022-23 | The Boneyard

Way Too Early Top 25 For 2022-23

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
UConn, South Carolina, and Stanford continue to re-stock with elite recruits, and even transfers. It will be very tough for other schools to topple them in the near-term post-seasons.

Reaction Score
UConn, South Carolina, and Stanford continue to re-stock with elite recruits, and even transfers. It will be very tough for other schools to topple them in the near-term post-seasons.
I agree it will be difficult in short term. However I do think Stanford and UCONN will take a step back for a few years when Tara and Geno retire. It always happens when a HOF coach leaves.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It will be tough, but very possible. Stanford and UCONN lose a lot this year, and Stanford in particular loses 3 starting guards and likely doesn't get anyone significant from the transfer portal. They also seemed to lack a true go to player despite having a lot of talented kids. On any given night it could be Brink, Hull or Jones, but on any given night those 3 could disappear too. Stanford to me didn't seem as hungry this year either after winning it all last season. In the Final Four I thought it was evident UCONN played with more urgency throughout most of the game. We'll see what next year brings from Tara and Co.

UCONN if fully healthy next year will be loaded. Post play is the biggest question, as ONO graduates and returnees werent standouts this past year. Also wondering what happens with Gabriel/Deberry's playing time as they received very limited playing time all season. Brady is a nice pickup who should fit in well, Patterson is a great athlete but from footage I've seen likely needs a year or 2 to develop. UCONN's backcourt should be top tier though with Bueckers, Fudd and Ducharme all back.

Texas had a great finish to the season and gave Stanford a good fight. I think 4 is a little high since they lacked consistency for chunks of the year but Vic is a brilliant coach and can compete with anyone on any given night. They'll be in the mix, particularly if they can land a grad transfer who hunts rebounds.

Maryland on paper is loaded but couldn't put it together this year due to a plethora of injuries.

Iowa has talent but lacks size/length to be a title threat IMO. Same with Iowa State.

Tennessee has talent but getting it to all blend together is the big question. Jackson is a good addition but I see them as a Sweet 16 caliber program once again unless they can cut down on TOs.

Notre Dame has F4 potential IMO. They have a slew of very good players and Miles/Citron are a fabulous combination to build around. Plus they should have a similar hunger to the one SC had this year after their brutal Sweet 16 loss. Next year they should stay top 10 all year.

Oklahoma I'm not as sold on despite a great season in 2021-22. They had a great stretch but faded hard toward the end of the season. Preseason they'll be top 10ish but I could see them in the 15-25 range much of the year.

North Carolina/Louisville will both be strong again too. Both have excellent coaches and several talented pieces back.

SC should still be the team to beat next year. Just immense length and size at every position, and there's a good chance Zia Cooke has a much better year next season. I'd look for big production improvements by Rivers if she sticks. PG play is the question mark if Henderson goes pro but they'll be the title favorite once again.

Reaction Score

Always fun to look at these. The biggest team to be left off was Michigan who made the Elite 8. Louisville and NC State dropped a lot.
I can understand why Michigan may not be considered a top 25. They don't have an heir apparent for Hillmon from what I was able to tell this season. Also, not sure about their guard play next season, outside of Phelia as the other freshman Wiggins didn't have much court time this year.

Yes they have Brown returning, which is important but can she take on the workload like Naz did? Not sure about that just yet based on her style of play.

Reaction Score
I can understand why Michigan may not be considered a top 25. They don't have an heir apparent for Hillmon from what I was able to tell this season. Also, not sure about their guard play next season, outside of Phelia as the other freshman Wiggins didn't have much court time this year.

Yes they have Brown returning, which is important but can she take on the workload like Naz did? Not sure about that just yet based on her style of play.
Good thing for Michigan is there are lots of quality bigs in the transfer portal.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Texas' time to rise. Missing out on Jackson was huge, but maybe their young players will be a lot better next year. They really need an upgrade from Ebo tho.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
They lose 4 starters but return Morris. the transfer portal will change a lot of the preseason rankings/expectations
Any word about Payne returning? I believe she has a covid year available.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It will be tough, but very possible. Stanford and UCONN lose a lot this year, and Stanford in particular loses 3 starting guards and likely doesn't get anyone significant from the transfer portal. They also seemed to lack a true go to player despite having a lot of talented kids. On any given night it could be Brink, Hull or Jones, but on any given night those 3 could disappear too. Stanford to me didn't seem as hungry this year either after winning it all last season. In the Final Four I thought it was evident UCONN played with more urgency throughout most of the game. We'll see what next year brings from Tara and Co.

UCONN if fully healthy next year will be loaded. Post play is the biggest question, as ONO graduates and returnees werent standouts this past year. Also wondering what happens with Gabriel/Deberry's playing time as they received very limited playing time all season. Brady is a nice pickup who should fit in well, Patterson is a great athlete but from footage I've seen likely needs a year or 2 to develop. UCONN's backcourt should be top tier though with Bueckers, Fudd and Ducharme all back.

Texas had a great finish to the season and gave Stanford a good fight. I think 4 is a little high since they lacked consistency for chunks of the year but Vic is a brilliant coach and can compete with anyone on any given night. They'll be in the mix, particularly if they can land a grad transfer who hunts rebounds.

Maryland on paper is loaded but couldn't put it together this year due to a plethora of injuries.

Iowa has talent but lacks size/length to be a title threat IMO. Same with Iowa State.

Tennessee has talent but getting it to all blend together is the big question. Jackson is a good addition but I see them as a Sweet 16 caliber program once again unless they can cut down on TOs.

Notre Dame has F4 potential IMO. They have a slew of very good players and Miles/Citron are a fabulous combination to build around. Plus they should have a similar hunger to the one SC had this year after their brutal Sweet 16 loss. Next year they should stay top 10 all year.

Oklahoma I'm not as sold on despite a great season in 2021-22. They had a great stretch but faded hard toward the end of the season. Preseason they'll be top 10ish but I could see them in the 15-25 range much of the year.

North Carolina/Louisville will both be strong again too. Both have excellent coaches and several talented pieces back.

SC should still be the team to beat next year. Just immense length and size at every position, and there's a good chance Zia Cooke has a much better year next season. I'd look for big production improvements by Rivers if she sticks. PG play is the question mark if Henderson goes pro but they'll be the title favorite once again.

Can’t disagree with too much here.

OU getting Ana Llanusa back will be huge for them. They started their downward spiral after her injury.
If the word on the streets is correct Louisville is expected to land Barker and possibly Blackwell (who Walz coached in USA Basketball) which bumps them way up IMO. Speculation of course!

Like many teams Maryland needs post players. They have quality 6’0-6’1 quality guards but need some size in the paint and the way they run it will have to be a mobile post. Texas is also a post player or 2 away from being elite.

I’m ok with the list but it will shuffle as the portal shakes out.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
They lose 4 starters but return Morris. the transfer portal will change a lot of the preseason rankings/expectations
It's odd that Creme has Baylor ranked (at #25); they lost 3 starters. Maybe one signee who can contribute next season as a true freshman. LSU's signing class is much better than Baylor's, IMO.

Reaction Score
It's odd that Creme has Baylor ranked (at #25); they lost 3 starters. Maybe one signee who can contribute next season as a true freshman. LSU's signing class is much better than Baylor's, IMO.
I'm curious as to why you would consider it odd?

They didn't have much depth and a large portion of their scorers are gone. I think he's hedging on the unknown potential of those who remain on the roster.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to why you would consider it odd?

They didn't have much depth and a large portion of their scorers are gone. I think he's hedging on the unknown potential of those who remain on the roster.
It's odd because Baylor lost Queen Egbo, NaLyssa Smith, and Jordyn Lewis. Who will they replace them with? Nobody knows right now. How can he rank them #25 with those HUGE question marks?

Reaction Score
It's odd because Baylor lost Queen Egbo, NaLyssa Smith, and Jordyn Lewis. Who will they replace them with? Nobody knows right now. How can he rank them #25 with those HUGE question marks?
This just highlights the silliness of this "way-too-early" exercise. Baylor is obviously going to have multiple transfers, and depending on the quality of those we could be anywhere from top-10 to not even ranked. I agree the current roster may not merit the top-25, but we know this will not be the roster that starts the season.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
This just highlights the silliness of this "way-too-early" exercise. Baylor is obviously going to have multiple transfers, and depending on the quality of those we could be anywhere from top-10 to not even ranked. I agree the current roster may not merit the top-25, but we know this will not be the roster that starts the season.
This is definitely a point-in-time Top 25. And, it should be based on what is known about new and returning personnel. Obviously, as the rosters change (incoming/outgoing transfers), the teams affected will move up/down in a future pre-season Top 25.

Rankings like these have been coming out for decades in just about all sports as soon as the national championship game is concluded.

Reaction Score
I was interpreting your post differently. I took it to mean you thought it was low.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Still looking

OldFocusedArabianhorse-size_restricted.gif

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

The trio of UConn, Stanford, and South Carolina have some things going for them other than just elite talent (and re-loading with new talent) that other "contenders" just don't have: head coaches who have won at least 2 national titles; multiple players who have played in the last two Final Fours, and at least one national championship game. It's very tough for programs trying to get over the hump to compete with that.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Just gonna throw this out there: since Pat's last championship in 2008, only one coach has won a championship not named Geno, Kim, Tara, Muffet or Dawn (and he just retired), and Brenda is the only other active coach to have won since Purdue back in 1999. With Muffet retired, and Pat resting in peace upstairs, my money is on one of the others until some other coach can step up and prove they belong.

Also: now that the transfer portal is essentially an annual free-option free agency open season, Way Too Early Top 25 Lists are bound to lack so much relevant information about where players land as to be functionally worthless.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Just gonna throw this out there: since Pat's last championship in 2008, only one coach has won a championship not named Geno, Kim, Tara, Muffet or Dawn (and he just retired), and Brenda is the only other active coach to have won since Purdue back in 1999. With Muffet retired, and Pat resting in peace upstairs, my money is on one of the others until some other coach can step up and prove they belong.
And, even the head coaches whose highest point has been reaching the national championship game (Vic Schaefer, Jeff Waltz, Adia Barnes) are few and far between.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
And, even the head coaches whose highest point has been reaching the national championship game (Vic Schaefer, Jeff Waltz, Adia Barnes) are few and far between.
Worth noting, Schaefer, Barnes and Graves all came painfully close or were robbed of a golden opportunity thanks to covid. If a buzzer beater goes in/misses, we could have easily had 9 different championship coaches over a 14 year period.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom