Way too early to start shredding the team and coaches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Way too early to start shredding the team and coaches

Reaction Score
there is so much misinformation in this post idk where to begin. I didn't know Azzi, Caroline, Cardoso, Saniya, Raven, Dorka were in last season's game, must have missed them. Uconn playing their 3rd game in 3 days, as if SC didn't get the same situation. This reeks of excuses and fyi SC beat Uconn in 2020 so not sure why 2021 in February is important, but not February 2020.
Actually you’re both sorta right on UConn vs SC. JC is correct that SC beat us in 2020. I think ucbart probably meant that we beat SC last season… and we did. I think it was 63-59 in OT. I agree with JC that they weren’t the same teams. However the top 5 players were pretty much the same.

Reaction Score
Bad coaches? Did someone say something about the coaches? Missed that.

"Bad coaches" a bit harsh but there is a recent thread asking if "Geno has lost his touch." There have been overall "complaint" comments is my guess the poster is referring to. - I can guess by reading Geno getting criticized for his substituting such as not playing Dorka more and/or not using his bench more etc. Players not improving etc. Nowhere did anyone say "bad" but I think it was a figure of speech regarding the overall complaining. - Though I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand posts like this; people post opinions, good and bad; that is the attraction of sites like this. Why not shut the board down after losses if analytical criticism is so wrong? People seem fine with the over the top, “Uconn will never lose with all of our generational players, etc., etc.” yet honest critiquing of the team and coaches is somehow unacceptable?
Some fans want to make excuses for losses, some accept them, some take them hard; the nature of fans.
One of the mantras from many fans is the “we will learn from this loss” take. Learn what exactly? I re-watched the game and IMO, Uconn basically got out-toughed. They got out-toughed against USF, the difference in the two games being the difference in talent between USF and SC. SC made them pay, USF couldn’t. They got out-toughed against Arizona. So we read in the pre-season all the “lessons” Uconn learned from the Arizona loss, none of which manifested themselves yesterday. Losing is part of the game but go down fighting, go down respecting your opponent and the game. Hustle, box out, fight for the ball, go down getting dirty and bloodied.
Uconn recruits great talent and will always have a great record and be in the hunt for the NC but they are starting to remind me a bit of the lazy parent who threatens their child with consequences for poor behavior over and over, each time proclaiming “but this time I REALLY mean it!”
I sincerely apologize to those offended by my opinion but I am an effort guy, mentally and physically. It is the way I played and the way I coached. It is the first thing I looked for when I scouted. It is the ONLY thing anyone truly has control over. And without naming names, I just don’t see enough of it from some players on this team.
Damn. I posted a very similar take on another thread…same thoughts, same feelings. Weird kinda but interesting nonetheless.

Reaction Score
This is a really great assessment of UConn’s loss to South Carolina. Well done. I agree 100% with all but number 6. I’d love to see them win in South Carolina, and put all the pressure and doubt on South Carolina. Winning in South Carolina on their floor would be a huge boost to UConn’s confidence. Geno would then have to make sure they don’t believe they’re invincible and they need to continue to work even harder to improve on any and all weaknesses. I’m not sure this young group would handle another loss to South Carolina very well. The doubt may be too much to overcome. However, as you said, if it’s a nail biter all the way to the very last second and UConn loses, that may work too. It is tough for a team to play three games in a season and win all three.
I think the year SC won it, they had to beat MSU 3 times, the team that knocked UCONN out of the tourney.

Reaction Score
I think the year SC won it, they had to beat MSU 3 times, the team that knocked UCONN out of the tourney.
You are absolutely correct! I had to look that up. But I was actually referring to beating UConn three times in a year would be tough. Although I’d love to see a win by UConn in January, the third matchup with South Carolina is the one most of us on the Boneyard want to UConn win, and hopefully that would be the championship game!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I miss Shea too, but find it impossible to quantify (especially at this early stage of her head coaching career) exactly how vital her contribution was, We will get a sense in a few years both at UConn and Vandi....

But a (dark?) thought crossed my mind...We have young, untested and iunnitiated players...and we have a new coach in an important (vital?) position...Everything takes time. and adjustment...

Patience is required

Reaction Score
If we were so "out toughed" by SC why were we up 3 at the half and only down 3 after 3 quarters? Wouldn't that toughness have manifested itself immediately? Sure, they were tougher, more physical, and got away with a lot of pushes and fouls, but we lost because we fell apart in the 4th quarter. Why? Exhausted, especially our core 3 scorers of Evina, CW and Paige. Too many minutes in the two prior games, especially Minnesota which was perplexing.

Reaction Score
If we were so "out toughed" by SC why were we up 3 at the half and only down 3 after 3 quarters? Wouldn't that toughness have manifested itself immediately? Sure, they were tougher, more physical, and got away with a lot of pushes and fouls, but we lost because we fell apart in the 4th quarter. Why? Exhausted, especially our core 3 scorers of Evina, CW and Paige. Too many minutes in the two prior games, especially Minnesota which was perplexing.
IMHO Geno overused the starters in game 1 to shake off rust. He overused them in game 2 of the tournament because he did not trust the bench to complete the win . It all caught up with the team against SC.

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand posts like this; people post opinions, good and bad; that is the attraction of sites like this. Why not shut the board down after losses if analytical criticism is so wrong?

"Analytical criticism." So that's what I've been reading...:confused:

Reaction Score
Geno is a very good systems coach, but he is not at the same level coaching in games. When a coach has a great system they often become to relient on it and get lazy and complacent in games. It is almost like the quaiities of one area do not seem to complement the other. I remember Geno ran into a simular problem the year that ND knocked them out in the NCAAs because the team ran out of gas. I think that was the year TA&M won it all.

Reaction Score
"Analytical criticism." So that's what I've been reading...:confused:
Gee sorry, next time I will “Dick and Jane“ it just for you; or just revel in your very contributory comment. Disagree with me, fine, no problem, but how about offering something constructive and on topic?

Reaction Score
No, not at all, true grit and toughness manifest themselves in the 4th quarter, at winning time, that’s what separates teams and players. IMO, Uconn had the talent to stay close for 3 quarters but not the toughness to hang when the intensity ballooned.
As for exhaustion, let’s flip your premise, if they were so exhausted why didn’t it manifest itself immediately or at least some point in the first 3 quarters; was there something magical that occurred after the 3rd quarter that all “3 core scorers” got exhausted at exactly the same time? I think not.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is bigger has more depth and there’s more athletic than UConn.Can UCONN beat them yes but they don’t have a great margin of error.South Carolina doesn’t have to play a perfect game to beat UConn.

Reaction Score
Gee sorry, next time I will “Dick and Jane“ it just for you; or just revel in your very contributory comment. Disagree with me, fine, no problem, but how about offering something constructive and on topic?

Relax. It was a joke aimed at everyone who posts on the BY, including me. Not every nugget on the BY is gold. Happy Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
No, not at all, true grit and toughness manifest themselves in the 4th quarter, at winning time, that’s what separates teams and players. IMO, Uconn had the talent to stay close for 3 quarters but not the toughness to hang when the intensity ballooned.
As for exhaustion, let’s flip your premise, if they were so exhausted why didn’t it manifest itself immediately or at least some point in the first 3 quarters; was there something magical that occurred after the 3rd quarter that all “3 core scorers” got exhausted at exactly the same time? I think not.
Just as toughness can manifest itself only in the 4th quarter as you hypothesize, so can exhaustion. We scored 3 points in that quarter. That wasn't due to toughness by SC. We threw the ball away like it was kryptonite. That wasn't due to toughness by SC. If you don't believe in exhaustion by teams I will give you two examples off the top of my head. Wisconsin men beat the undefeated Kentucky Wildcats in the national semis and then have nothing left against Duke. Gonzaga beats UCLA last year in the national semis on a last second shot and is a different team against Baylor. Were both of those wins due to the opponent's toughness? No, teams get tired, spent, unsharp and unfocused.

Gamecocks were stronger and deeper than us and had two cakewalks especially on Sunday. We didn't on Sunday and our core 3 played too many minutes against Minnesota. Geno is not going to fix what's wrong by just preaching toughness, which is overrated as a one stop cure all. There are fundamental flaws on defense such as no boxing out, turning your head, not moving your feet and poor help defense underneath, There are issues on offense also with one being Evina's passivity in the second half of games which is a carryover from last year. I'm sorry, I will never agree with you that we lost that game due to toughness alone. We are just not a "tough" team and no amount of inspirational speeches will make us one. We need fundamentals, Aubrey to come back, our bench to become significant contributors and right now a lot of rest. You will see a different team against Seton Hall. I will be there to witness it.

Reaction Score
IMHO Geno overused the starters in game 1 to shake off rust. He overused them in game 2 of the tournament because he did not trust the bench to complete the win . It all caught up with the team against SC.
Totally agree. Nailed it.

Reaction Score
Actually, I believe you get more tired the longer you play. At least that’s how it’s always been for me.

Reaction Score
Actually, I believe you get more tired the longer you play. At least that’s how it’s always been for me.
Yes, and every player on the court, or at least the “3 core scorers” gets tired at exactly the same time, that’s never how it’s been for me. And amidst all this exhaustion, no one on the coaching staff noticed but fans on TV could tell?
These players are young, in great shape, and played much more than 3 games in 3 days in AAU tournaments. IMO, the exhaustion theory is hindsight at best, and if accurate, which I don’t think it is, an awful indictment on the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
I think the exhaustion started to show in 2Q and got worse as the game went on. A complete collapse in 4Q.

A bad analogy, a car will run fine on 2 quarters of gas and then not so good after that. You have to pay attention to the "gas light". Could it happen to all 3 core players at the same time? I don't know, but it looked that way.

Reaction Score
"Bad coaches" a bit harsh but there is a recent thread asking if "Geno has lost his touch." There have been overall "complaint" comments is my guess the poster is referring to. - I can guess by reading Geno getting criticized for his substituting such as not playing Dorka more and/or not using his bench more etc. Players not improving etc. Nowhere did anyone say "bad" but I think it was a figure of speech regarding the overall complaining. - Though I could be wrong.
I guess my real intent was not clear.

Reaction Score
Just as toughness can manifest itself only in the 4th quarter as you hypothesize, so can exhaustion. We scored 3 points in that quarter. That wasn't due to toughness by SC. We threw the ball away like it was kryptonite. That wasn't due to toughness by SC. If you don't believe in exhaustion by teams I will give you two examples off the top of my head. Wisconsin men beat the undefeated Kentucky Wildcats in the national semis and then have nothing left against Duke. Gonzaga beats UCLA last year in the national semis on a last second shot and is a different team against Baylor. Were both of those wins due to the opponent's toughness? No, teams get tired, spent, unsharp and unfocused.

Gamecocks were stronger and deeper than us and had two cakewalks especially on Sunday. We didn't on Sunday and our core 3 played too many minutes against Minnesota. Geno is not going to fix what's wrong by just preaching toughness, which is overrated as a one stop cure all. There are fundamental flaws on defense such as no boxing out, turning your head, not moving your feet and poor help defense underneath, There are issues on offense also with one being Evina's passivity in the second half of games which is a carryover from last year. I'm sorry, I will never agree with you that we lost that game due to toughness alone. We are just not a "tough" team and no amount of inspirational speeches will make us one. We need fundamentals, Aubrey to come back, our bench to become significant contributors and right now a lot of rest. You will see a different team against Seton Hall. I will be there to witness it.
You don’t have to agree with me, you are entitled to your opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom