Way too early look at WNBA Rookies | The Boneyard

Way too early look at WNBA Rookies

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Check out which rookie is tied for most minutes per game. KIA NURSE!!! New York is loving her. She is only averaging one point per game less than Kelsey Mitchell who is doing really well. What was Kelsey Plum's problem last season? Kia is out shining her old teammates Z and Gabby. She was a steal at 10 in 1st round of the WNBA draft. I probably over looked a couple of rookies whose name didn't register with me. (I tried to upload an Excel file but since it is a starter version the file type got rejected.)

upload_2018-5-25_22-16-12.png

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Check out which rookie is tied for most minutes per game. KIA NURSE!!! New York is loving her. She is only averaging one point per game less than Kelsey Mitchell who is doing really well. What was Kelsey Plum's problem last season? Kia is out shining her old teammates Z and Gabby. She was a steal at 11 in 1st round of the WNBA draft. I probably over looked a couple of rookies whose name didn't register with me. (I tried to upload an Excel file but since it is a starter version the file type got rejected.)

View attachment 31631

Thanks for putting this together—fun to look at even if it’s only a couple of games in. I’d expect Nurse’s numbers to decline as the season continues but she’s had a strong start to her career. I also am not surprised by Wilson struggling offensively early on. She’s never had great touch inside (misses a lot of face up jumpers from 5-7 feet) but I think she’ll adjust and her percentages will continue to rise as the season continues. I also think Stevens has potential to put up big numbers, but she can’t fall in love with the perimeter shot.

Plum last year took a while to adjust to the pro game. Honestly speaking, she was one of the least talented #1 picks to ever be drafted (compared to Stewart/Loyd/Ogwumike/Griner/etc in years prior) and her game didn’t translate as well to the pros. She did make a nice push at the end of the year, but I think Vegas would be smart to trade her for a good wing or post and let Jefferson/McBride control the backcourt.

Lots of players in this draft like Gabby, Z, Vivians, Deshields, Atkins, Canada, etc. could all become very good pros with time if they can improve in various areas. All have elite skill and athleticism, they just need to adjust to the different level of play and polish their weaknesses. Easier said that done, but I think this class has many many players who will have long successful careers.

Reaction Score
Which BY'er said Kia might be a good "role player" in the WNBA? She played the point in much of last night's game. And offense aside, her defense has been terrific. There's a reason she has played so many minutes per game and will likely continue to do so. She's nonstop energy! It's true that it's early in the season yet, but BY'ers like myself who always felt Kia played in the shadow of her more offense-minded UCONN teammates are feeling pretty good for her right now. The Liberty is a great fit for Kia and you can tell Katie Smith already has a lot of faith in her. The Liberty will win games, particularly once players like Kia Vaughn and Epiphany (spelling?) Prince and a few other vets are back in the mix. Should be a fun season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Which BY'er said Kia might be a good "role player" in the WNBA? She played the point in much of last night's game. And offense aside, her defense has been terrific. There's a reason she has played so many minutes per game and will likely continue to do so. She's nonstop energy! It's true that it's early in the season yet, but BY'ers like myself who always felt Kia played in the shadow of her more offense-minded UCONN teammates are feeling pretty good for her right now. The Liberty is a great fit for Kia and you can tell Katie Smith already has a lot of faith in her. The Liberty will win games, particularly once players like Kia Vaughn and Epiphany (spelling?) Prince and a few other vets are back in the mix. Should be a fun season.
Yeah, they were the same people who said she wouldn't be successful because she "can't create her own shot". Obviously hogwash...!

Reaction Score
There's a reason she has played so many minutes per game and will likely continue to do so. She's nonstop energy!

Most #10 picks don’t get the opportunity she has been given. She’s benefited from Brittany Boyd, Epiphanny Prince, and Sugar Rodgers all being out. Kudos to her for stepping up in her moment of opportunity.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, they were the same people who said she wouldn't be successful because she "can't create her own shot". Obviously hogwash...!

Which is why we have such lively and spirited debates here in the yard. Sometimes fans can become delusional or misguided in their approach in evaluating talent (skills). This dynamic will cause them to sometimes make a comment that is neither factual or plausible. Admittedly I have fallen into that "snare" a time or two myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
rookstats.jpg

As of this moment, I'd call this the All Rookie team. Plenty of games left for Jordin Canada or Azura Stevens to have a say in things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom