Way Too Early Big East Projections | The Boneyard

Way Too Early Big East Projections

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have not seen one yet, so I am going to take a stab at it, and am more than open to suggestions one why this is wrong.

1) Creighton - Assume Kaluma is coming back, this starting 5 is really good. Ashworth is a legit transfer that put up his numbers in a strong MWC so it isn't like he needs to make a big adjustment to tougher competition. One of the great things about NIL is that it keeps a player like Scheierman in college rather than heading overseas. There will be a lot more of this going forward.

2) UConn - Great class coming in, although I think people are overrating the impact of a freshman PG. In the history of UConn, one point guard was a true star as a frosh, El-Amin, and he was a unicorn among unicorns in a lot of ways. I think Clingan will have a monster season next year, although he needs to work on his fouling because teams are going to come at him to get him in foul trouble.

3) Marquette - I assume Prosper returns, but the rumors of Kam Jones leaving seem to have some legs. That would be a big loss.

4) Xavier - Xavier had a big transfer portal haul, but they definitely lost some key players. I don't think Jones is coming back, and Boum, Kunkel, Nunge and Freemantle are big losses. I liked Edwards in the limited minutes he played. Hunter and Claude are good, and the team will be competitive, but it won't be as good as last season.

5) Villanova - Bamba is a huge pickup. Daniels, Slater and Whitmore are gone, but Whitmore was underwhelming and I don't get the draft hype. Whatever. Moore, Dixon and Armstrong is a solid foundation, and Armstrong could make a big jump. Neptune has kind of a Travis Steele/Steve Lappas coach-that-always-seems-to-come-up-short vibe to him, but he is young and can grow out of that.

6) Providence - Benefitted from a friendly whistle at the Dunk, and just seemed kind of underwhelming overall last season. I didn't like the players that left that much, so I don't think they are big losses. Hopkins is pretty good, a bunch of George Mason players have come in for what that's worth, and the team probably won't be completely terrible, but I see more downside than upside with this squad.

7) Seton Hall - Holloway has a style, and Posh Alexander fits that style, so I guess that is a good pickup. I liked Samuel and Jackson, and those are big losses. I don't think Holloway got the ball to either player nearly enough, and I think both will do well at Florida and Michigan.

8) Georgetown - Bringing in three high major transfers is a good start. I can't make heads or tails of the rest of the roster. Has Spears actually committed somewhere else? How is Wahab transferring again? Cooley could have used Murray.

9) Depaul - I like the two incoming players, Oden and Henly, for Depaul. I am pretty sure Gibson and Johnson are done with eligibility. Not sure who else is returning. I like the way they play, and think Stubblefield is a good coach, but he is running out of time to turn this program around. He probably has one more year after 23-24.

10) St. Johns - I think Pitino is committing basketball hari kari in front of the world. Running off the entire St. Johns team was just stupid, and St. Johns is going to be bad next season. Pitino should try to get anyone who is not yet committed, like Cubelo or Jones, back to St. Johns.

11) Butler - A bunch of OK low-major transfers and a soft recruiting class. It could be a long season in Hinkle next winter.

I think the league is taking a step back. There are not a lot of players you can point to outside the top 4 programs and say "that guy is going to make a big jump next season". Armstrong on Villanova is probably the only one. The bottom 4 teams could be pretty bad because they all had significant losses and they were not that good to begin with.

Reaction Score
There is no way you can look at a league that is returning the vast majority of its stars (UConn aside), adding high level transfers (Nova, Creighton, Xavier, PC sort of) and improving coaching talent, and say that they are taking a step back. GTown and St Johns will take a step forward, likely a large one for GTown. PC should be a tough out next year. Nova should be much better. Xavier should be around the same. Marquette may be preseason top 3. UConn preseason top 5, and Creighton preseason top 10. This league will be a GAUNTLET and much better than last year

Reaction Score
I have not seen one yet, so I am going to take a stab at it, and am more than open to suggestions one why this is wrong.

1) Creighton - Assume Kaluma is coming back, this starting 5 is really good. Ashworth is a legit transfer that put up his numbers in a strong MWC so it isn't like he needs to make a big adjustment to tougher competition. One of the great things about NIL is that it keeps a player like Scheierman in college rather than heading overseas. There will be a lot more of this going forward.

2) UConn - Great class coming in, although I think people are overrating the impact of a freshman PG. In the history of UConn, one point guard was a true star as a frosh, El-Amin, and he was a unicorn among unicorns in a lot of ways. I think Clingan will have a monster season next year, although he needs to work on his fouling because teams are going to come at him to get him in foul trouble.

3) Marquette - I assume Prosper returns, but the rumors of Kam Jones leaving seem to have some legs. That would be a big loss.

4) Xavier - Xavier had a big transfer portal haul, but they definitely lost some key players. I don't think Jones is coming back, and Boum, Kunkel, Nunge and Freemantle are big losses. I liked Edwards in the limited minutes he played. Hunter and Claude are good, and the team will be competitive, but it won't be as good as last season.

5) Villanova - Bamba is a huge pickup. Daniels, Slater and Whitmore are gone, but Whitmore was underwhelming and I don't get the draft hype. Whatever. Moore, Dixon and Armstrong is a solid foundation, and Armstrong could make a big jump. Neptune has kind of a Travis Steele/Steve Lappas coach-that-always-seems-to-come-up-short vibe to him, but he is young and can grow out of that.

6) Providence - Benefitted from a friendly whistle at the Dunk, and just seemed kind of underwhelming overall last season. I didn't like the players that left that much, so I don't think they are big losses. Hopkins is pretty good, a bunch of George Mason players have come in for what that's worth, and the team probably won't be completely terrible, but I see more downside than upside with this squad.

7) Seton Hall - Holloway has a style, and Posh Alexander fits that style, so I guess that is a good pickup. I liked Samuel and Jackson, and those are big losses. I don't think Holloway got the ball to either player nearly enough, and I think both will do well at Florida and Michigan.

8) Georgetown - Bringing in three high major transfers is a good start. I can't make heads or tails of the rest of the roster. Has Spears actually committed somewhere else? How is Wahab transferring again? Cooley could have used Murray.

9) Depaul - I like the two incoming players, Oden and Henly, for Depaul. I am pretty sure Gibson and Johnson are done with eligibility. Not sure who else is returning. I like the way they play, and think Stubblefield is a good coach, but he is running out of time to turn this program around. He probably has one more year after 23-24.

10) St. Johns - I think Pitino is committing basketball hari kari in front of the world. Running off the entire St. Johns team was just stupid, and St. Johns is going to be bad next season. Pitino should try to get anyone who is not yet committed, like Cubelo or Jones, back to St. Johns.

11) Butler - A bunch of OK low-major transfers and a soft recruiting class. It could be a long season in Hinkle next winter.

I think the league is taking a step back. There are not a lot of players you can point to outside the top 4 programs and say "that guy is going to make a big jump next season". Armstrong on Villanova is probably the only one. The bottom 4 teams could be pretty bad because they all had significant losses and they were not that good to begin with.
How long before FriarJ comments and hypes PC :)

Reaction Score
I think the league is taking a step back.
Lol, couldn't be more wrong on this. The Big East will be a 6 bid league at a minimum this year, with a good chance of getting 8 teams.

Locks: UConn, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, Providence

Bubble: Nova, St Johns, Georgetown

This is going to be the best league in the country next season

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no way you can look at a league that is returning the vast majority of its stars (UConn aside), adding high level transfers (Nova, Creighton, Xavier, PC sort of) and improving coaching talent, and say that they are taking a step back. GTown and St Johns will take a step forward, likely a large one for GTown. PC should be a tough out next year. Nova should be much better. Xavier should be around the same. Marquette may be preseason top 3. UConn preseason top 5, and Creighton preseason top 10. This league will be a GAUNTLET and much better than last year

I think Marquette (if Jones and Prosper return), UConn and Creighton will be very good. I loved Xavier this season with Freemantle healthy, but it lost its entire starting lineup. I like Villanova next year, and think Depaul could show a lot of improvement, which still means a 7-13 season but they might not suck. Saying Georgetown will be better is not saying much. They were terrible the last two years.

Seton Hall was looking good until Samuel and Jackson left. Now they could struggle.

St. Johns has potential to be epically bad next season, but people are afraid to say it because Pitino is the Head Coach. He has burned his roster to the ground and has not landed a single top transfer to replace the losses. If he gets Jones and Cubello back, I might change my mind, but I don't think he even wants them back. I do not get his strategy at all.

Butler could be one of the worst teams in a major conference next season.

Reaction Score
Lol, couldn't be more wrong on this. The Big East will be a 6 bid league at a minimum this year, with a good chance of getting 8 teams.

I agree with your overall post, but Gtown is not going to sniff the tournament.

Reaction Score

I think alot of our tournament bids will come down to the big 10 and big 12 challenges. If we show up and beat those conferences then I agree but a lukewarm showing in those challenges would knock us back to 4 or 5 bids I think

Reaction Score

@shizzle787 doesn't declare locks until the Thursday before Selection Sunday. @aburks41 locks teams in 6 months before the season. Gotta love the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
If we lose AJAX, Newton and don’t get Timberlake, and I’m not being negative but should that happen we would not be a juggernaut. We have to know who we have before we start making projections on our greatness. Wouldn’t that scenario put us back into the middle of the BE pack?

MJ1

Reaction Score
I believe 6 teams will get in: UConn, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, Villanova, and Providence or St. John’s as your sixth team. Pitino is not done recruiting yet.

Reaction Score
I’m not being negative
Cracking Up Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Anyone projecting anything about next year, is like a weatherman. Actually Farmer Almanac may be better comparison. Or even Sgt. Schultz “ I know nothing” comes to mind as a comparison….

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Anyone projecting anything about next year, is like a weatherman. Actually Farmer Almanac may be better comparison. Or even Sgt. Schultz “ I know nothing” comes to mind as a comparison….

Why would you click on a thread labeled "Way Too Early Big East Projections" to make this comment?

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
Looking at preseason top 5-10 last year or any year vs reality of playing games is a very underwhelming. Predictor
However If those strong positions are retained by the end of the year ,when conference play begins , who and how many we get in is almost a done deal. The odds of a collapse or an outsider advancing is extremely remote.
See you on Jan 1st 2024 when we really know who is a contender and who is a pretender.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Didn't he do baseball games?

We know the moon is not made of blue cheese. But what if it was made of barbecued spare ribs, would you eat it then?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think Marquette (if Jones and Prosper return), UConn and Creighton will be very good. I loved Xavier this season with Freemantle healthy, but it lost its entire starting lineup. I like Villanova next year, and think Depaul could show a lot of improvement, which still means a 7-13 season but they might not suck. Saying Georgetown will be better is not saying much. They were terrible the last two years.

Seton Hall was looking good until Samuel and Jackson left. Now they could struggle.

St. Johns has potential to be epically bad next season, but people are afraid to say it because Pitino is the Head Coach. He has burned his roster to the ground and has not landed a single top transfer to replace the losses. If he gets Jones and Cubello back, I might change my mind, but I don't think he even wants them back. I do not get his strategy at all.

Butler could be one of the worst teams in a major conference next season.

Curbello is gone.

He got alleyne, he has Soriano, he might pick up Mgbako. They can certainly not be great, but I wouldnt count him in epically bad club, he has a knack for winning.

August_West

Reaction Score
How long before FriarJ comments and hypes PC :)

PC has a better team already going into next year than they did this year, and got rid of that albatross Cooley who tanked his own teams nice season because he is a Fraud. Im not saying they are top of the league, but people short selled them last year when I warned them not to, and I was right.

If English can coach a lick on the bench (and that remains to be seen) he has a nice squad of talent who all are out to prove something.

Reaction Score
If we lose AJAX, Newton and don’t get Timberlake, and I’m not being negative but should that happen we would not be a juggernaut. We have to know who we have before we start making projections on our greatness. Wouldn’t that scenario put us back into the middle of the BE pack?
Perish the thought. Positivity and in Hurley we trust.
PC has a better team already going into next year than they did this year, and got rid of that albatross Cooley who tanked his own teams nice season because he is a Fraud. Im not saying they are top of the league, but people short selled them last year when I warned them not to, and I was right.

If English can coach a lick on the bench (and that remains to be seen) he has a nice squad of talent who all are out to prove something.
So far so good for PC. Now they have to play games with a young coach vs some top tier coaches.

August_West

Reaction Score
Perish the thought. Positivity and in Hurley we trust.

So far so good for PC. Now they have to play games with a young coach vs some top tier coaches.
Yup English is the wildcard. Unknown. But they got everyone back they wanted and Dual is the highest incoming recruit in the league on any team other than UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom