Watching Uconn Vs Duke '11 Ncaa Tourney | The Boneyard

Watching Uconn Vs Duke '11 Ncaa Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dolson looks totally different now

Hartley was good during this game, she was a frosh! Looked great running the point

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Maya's 3000

Heather played the last 5:00

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That was a nice little dismantling :D I went up to Philly and definitely enjoyed that game!

Little did I know it would be Maya's final victory. I was pretty confident after that game, heading into the FF. I'm glad I got to see her last win in person.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Dolson looks totally different now

Hartley was good during this game, she was a frosh! Looked great running the point
Dolson lokking differently now - Physically? Or how she plays?

Reaction Score
As much as I claim to like good, tight games, it is nice to have the outcome of important games decided before my nerves are worn to a frazzle.
I thought Maya took a couple of unnecessary chances in the first half after picking up her second foul. She was unconscious for a stretch in the second half.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dolson lokking differently now - Physically? Or how she plays?
physically... she appeared to have a muffintop, after watching her in Sept her body has transformed (5-6 months difference) Im impressed

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BTW Lorin ran the show after Tiff picked up her 2nd foul and L did a great job

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As much as I claim to like good, tight games, it is nice to have the outcome of important games decided before my nerves are worn to a frazzle.
I thought Maya took a couple of unnecessary chances in the first half after picking up her second foul. She was unconscious for a stretch in the second half.

I agree...

The knee-knock worried me for a minute, even after coming back in to the game when she knocked down the elbow jumper for her 3000th pt

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of watching that game with UConnCat. A few recollections:

The crowd should have been larger, if for no reason other than to see Jasmine Thomas [edit] and Maya Moore.

UConn started slowly, especially on offense.

Nothing, absolutely nothing good happened when Duke passed the ball into the post.

Our defense was really good.

Fairly early in the second half it looked as if a fairly close game could become another 35-point victory. Yep.

Maya hit a corner jumper just before the half and skipped off the court. One of my favorite images of a joyous Maya.

Maya's jumper for 3,000. The crowd knew it.

With about 15 high school All-Americans combined on both teams, #23 was on a different level than everyone else.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of watching that game with UConnCat. A few recollections:

The crowd should have been larger, if for no reason other than to see Jasmine (Thomas) and Maya Moore.

UConn started slowly, especially on offense.

Nothing, absolutely nothing good happened when Duke passed the ball into the post. agreed and surprised cause all UConn had was a frosh (include Maya & Kelly if you want)

Our defense was really good. agreed

Fairly early in the second half it looked as if a fairly close game could become another 35-point victory. Yep.

Maya hit a corner jumper just before the half and skipped off the court. One of my favorite images of a joyous Maya. I agree... swag

Maya's jumper for 3,000. The crowd knew it. she knew it, Geno & CD thats why they put her back in the game even after banging her knee

With about 15 high school All-Americans combined on both teams, #23 was on a different level than everyone else. very disappointing game from DUKE

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
physically... she appeared to have a muffintop, after watching her in Sept her body has transformed (5-6 months difference) Im impressed
Can't wait to see her live and on TV. In HD too...Thanks Harriet!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
DC, thanks for correcting. I have written Jas Dixon when I meant Jas Thomas (and possibly the reverse) more than once.

I am trying not to become the Voice of Inaccuracy. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A few other observations to add to MilfordHusky's post about this game:
  • There were too many possessions in which the UConn players just flat-out beat the Duke players down the court. This happened in the 1st half when the game was still close.
  • There were too many possessions in which the Duke defense parted like the Red Sea and UConn players were able to drive the lane.
  • Duke showed very little fight in this game after UConn took control; that was disappointing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That freshman post defender, with some help from Maya and Kelly, was pretty good at the end of the season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To add to Cat's comments, it seems as if a lot of teams give up the fight once UConn takes control. Some of it is conditioning, but there are other factors, including coaching and toughness.

Some of the teams who did not fold over the past few years have included Baylor, Stanford, and Notre Dame. Tennessee and Rutgers also play hard for 40 minutes usually.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
  • There were too many possessions in which the UConn players just flat-out beat the Duke players down the court. This happened in the 1st half when the game was still close. Hartley had a field day in the 1st half until Tiff got the 2 fouls then Lorin came in. Lorin laid off a few good assist but wasnt a threat driving and finishing.
  • There were too many possessions in which the Duke defense parted like the Red Sea and UConn players were able to drive the lane. (see above) as the annoumcers said "UConn hasnt shot a jumper yet and we're 10 minutes in"
  • Duke showed very little fight in this game after UConn took control; that was disappointing.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
To add to Cat's comments, it seems as if a lot of teams give up the fight once UConn takes control. Some of it is conditioning, but there are other factors, including coaching and toughness.

Some of the teams who did not fold over the past few years have included Baylor, Stanford, and Notre Dame. Tennessee and Rutgers also play hard for 40 minutes usually.
Are you saying they were intimidated? How dare you!!!!.....lol.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
  • There were too many possessions in which the UConn players just flat-out beat the Duke players down the court. This happened in the 1st half when the game was still close. Hartley had a field day in the 1st half until Tiff got the 2 fouls then Lorin came in. Lorin laid off a few good assist but wasnt a threat driving and finishing. We won't be seeing this problem this season. Love Lorin, but her lack of offense hurt the team. With Banks and Doty's addition to the backcourt, UConn will be able to score from every position.
  • There were too many possessions in which the Duke defense parted like the Red Sea and UConn players were able to drive the lane. (see above) as the annoumcers said "UConn hasnt shot a jumper yet and we're 10 minutes in"

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Considering her limitations, I thought Lorin played very well against Georgetown and Duke. She was a real spark off the bench, particularly in the Georgetown game. I was very happy for her. Notre Dame was a tough match-up for Lorin. UConn's backcourt should be much better this season.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

I keep hearing people (in this case UConn fans) say that they like games that are close and "competitive" to the very end. I sometimes wonder if that's what they think people want to hear because blowouts can certainly be boring for at least one side. Well, for me, whether it's baseball or the UConn women, I love blowout victories. Admittedly, it may not be that satisfactory to the other side and an occasional tough competitive game is fine, but it sure feels good to be way ahead as the clock is counting down (or, as in baseball, the other team is down to their final outs).

Now this is, of course, from the point of view of a fan. If I were watching a big game between teams in which I had no particular rooting interest, I'd prefer the tough, competitive game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
blowing out Duke, NC or Okla is cool, blowing out Seton Hall, UHart, Holy Cross & Pacific not so cool!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
33msghd.gif

Reaction Score
Considering her limitations, I thought Lorin played very well against Georgetown and Duke. She was a real spark off the bench, particularly in the Georgetown game. I was very happy for her. Notre Dame was a tough match-up for Lorin. UConn's backcourt should be much better this season.

I predict that Lorin and MJ are going to surprise us this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom