Watching the Boston College Spring Game ... | The Boneyard

Watching the Boston College Spring Game ...

Reaction Score
... and remembering what I liked about PAST UCONN Spring games and why they seem odd/stupid.

First, a 339 lb OL named Christian Mahagony scored on a series of Refrigerator plays at the goal line. Then to take the absurdity exponentially beyond, this kid from Paramus Catholic in NJ started a full routing of endzone celebration. Just inane

Watch QBs play. I like to see kids that have been working all winter - throwing balls & lifting & studying playbooks - come play. For BC, this kid Jurevic looks good at QB1; however, he doesn't look like a NFL pick whatsoever. Just solid. They replaced him with #14 Emmett Morehead from California (a RFR) and he has good size and mechanics. Lots of good fast good size RBs - per usual at BC. WR core looks good as does that DB core that defend them - both today and every day in practice facility. Not a big day for tackling - they obviously have rules that I deign not to learn. Who can tell how good this Eagle team will be playing with themselves.

When I watched UCONN in the past, a Scott Lutrus or Marcus Easley or a DB like Melifonwu jumped up and caught our attention. I'd love to see that in two weeks.
Dave DeGuglielmo shows up. Last year he was hired by Skip Holtz at Louisiana Tech and put in a year of College OLINE coaching and now up to Chestnut Hill. What should ring in our mind ... Skip Holtz hired him as our OLINE coach at UCONN in 1997 or so for a year. And then Googe coached in the NFL with our usual connections - Belichick and Parcells and Coughlin. So it's good to see him employed; and we know that OLINE is usually where BC has talent: He has 2 solid kids that are being projected as first few rounds of draft in a few weeks.

Don't know what to say about Hafley? He has had two decent years at BC. But this BC Program is not going to jump over 8 other ACC programs like Pitt did last year. First, there was Kenny Pickett; and second, Narduzzi seems to have stocked his depth charts with plenty of talent over 2-5 years of good recruiting. Pitt is well positioned - IMHO - to have a nice couple years of play. Bowls. But not Playoff bound over Clemson FSU or UNC etc. They just aren't going to shoot up into the upper strata in this decade.

IF ... I was a huge BC fanboy, a 9th of April moderately windy day in Chestnut Hill would be a a --- hmmm - not sure I'd get excited.

Attachments

• 1649520627112.png
    1649520627112.png
    221.3 KB · Views: 103
Reaction Score
... and remembering what I liked about PAST UCONN Spring games and why they seem odd/stupid.

First, a 339 lb OL named Christian Mahagony scored on a series of Refrigerator plays at the goal line. Then to take the absurdity exponentially beyond, this kid from Paramus Catholic in NJ started a full routing of endzone celebration. Just inane

Watch QBs play. I like to see kids that have been working all winter - throwing balls & lifting & studying playbooks - come play. For BC, this kid Jurevic looks good at QB1; however, he doesn't look like a NFL pick whatsoever. Just solid. They replaced him with #14 Emmett Morehead from California (a RFR) and he has good size and mechanics. Lots of good fast good size RBs - per usual at BC. WR core looks good as does that DB core that defend them - both today and every day in practice facility. Not a big day for tackling - they obviously have rules that I deign not to learn. Who can tell how good this Eagle team will be playing with themselves.

When I watched UCONN in the past, a Scott Lutrus or Marcus Easley or a DB like Melifonwu jumped up and caught our attention. I'd love to see that in two weeks.
Dave DeGuglielmo shows up. Last year he was hired by Skip Holtz at Louisiana Tech and put in a year of College OLINE coaching and now up to Chestnut Hill. What should ring in our mind ... Skip Holtz hired him as our OLINE coach at UCONN in 1997 or so for a year. And then Googe coached in the NFL with our usual connections - Belichick and Parcells and Coughlin. So it's good to see him employed; and we know that OLINE is usually where BC has talent: He has 2 solid kids that are being projected as first few rounds of draft in a few weeks.

Don't know what to say about Hafley? He has had two decent years at BC. But this BC Program is not going to jump over 8 other ACC programs like Pitt did last year. First, there was Kenny Pickett; and second, Narduzzi seems to have stocked his depth charts with plenty of talent over 2-5 years of good recruiting. Pitt is well positioned - IMHO - to have a nice couple years of play. Bowls. But not Playoff bound over Clemson FSU or UNC etc. They just aren't going to shoot up into the upper strata in this decade.

IF ... I was a huge BC fanboy, a 9th of April moderately windy day in Chestnut Hill would be a a --- hmmm - not sure I'd get excited.
They haven’t had a decent team in like 16 or 17 years. They are one of a very few catholic schools that play big time D1 college football and they have had at least one Heisman Trophy winner that I’m aware of. They also played as an independent for many years before joining the Big East.

Reaction Score
They haven’t had a decent team in like 16 or 17 years. They are one of a very few catholic schools that play big time D1 college football and they have had at least one Heisman Trophy winner that I’m aware of. They also played as an independent for many years before joining the Big East.
Jay Berwinger.

Reaction Score
He played at BC? I thought he played for a mid western school.
University of Chicago. And he technically didn't win the Heisman. He won the Downtown Athletic Club trophy, was renamed the following year.

Reaction Score
University of Chicago. And he technically didn't win the Heisman. He won the Downtown Athletic Club trophy, was renamed the following year.
Considered the first Heisman winner. His son played basketball at BCU and the kid scored the winning basket against us in the NIT. We led by 18 points until Dee Rowe went into an idiotic freeze. I will never forget the game or the kid.

Reaction Score
Considered the first Heisman winner. His son played basketball at BCU and the kid scored the winning basket against us in the NIT. We led by 18 points until Dee Rowe went into an idiotic freeze. I will never forget the game or the kid.
I think you're mistaken about his son...There was a Paul Berwanger that played at BC. But Heisman Berwanger had two sons, Cuyler (Butch) and John Jay.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I HATE BC football (and I work there!) - but I support them when they play anyone except UCONN. The more competitive football in New England the better for all of us.

Reaction Score
I HATE BC football (and I work there!) - but I support them when they play anyone except UCONN. The more competitive football in New England the better for all of us.
I want to BC and UMass be competitive, except when they play us. We need New England football to be great...

I'm not sure how Brown is doing. I just hope UMass and us can meet t be the jokes of the Bottom 10.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You lead a complicated life ;)but I guess I get it

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I want to BC and UMass be competitive, except when they play us. We need New England football to be great...

I'm not sure how Brown is doing. I just hope UMass and us can meet t be the jokes of the Bottom 10.
We have zero inertia right now, but there is NO reason that football in the northeast can't be great. It's a generational change so now is the time to "root" for UMass and BC.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The last really good team they had was with Matt Ryan at Quarterback.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom