Watching Stanford-Houston | The Boneyard

Watching Stanford-Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tied 32-32 at half. Stanford went on a 9-0 run to close out half. Houston has a pretty good rugged PF who already has a double-double.

Before I posted this, I had to look up if Houston was in our league. I honestly wasn't sure. Strange days indeed.

Reaction Score
Tied 32-32 at half. Stanford went on a 9-0 run to close out half. Houston has a pretty good rugged PF who already has a double-double.

Before I posted this, I had to look up if Houston was in our league. I honestly wasn't sure. Strange days indeed.

Is his name Hakeem?

PS: Go Houston!!!!!

Reaction Score
upstater said:
Is his name Hakeem?

PS: Go Houston!!!!!

Had to look it up. TaShawn Thomas. Averaging 17 and 12 with 4.5 blocks, and has some guard skills (was a guard in high school before a growth spurt). He's going to be a problem. His stats are mostly against weak competition, but still.

And, for the record, back then Olajuwon did not have an H in his first name.

Reaction Score
Houston is sort of Cusish. A lot of big guards with long arms playing a lot of a 2-3 zone. And certainly gritty, but with less pluck.

Houston is pretty athletic, which makes it hard to understand why they're zoning Stanford. Is that their thing? Are they Cuse lite? They have some talent.

Reaction Score
selles said:
Houston is pretty athletic, which makes it hard to understand why they're zoning Stanford. Is that their thing? Are they Cuse lite? They have some talent.

Don't know enough about Houston to know if they like the 2-3 or if it had to do with the match up. Stanford seems to have a very athletic 6-9 guy (Dwight Powell) who plays like a guard - they might have been worried about that matchup. Or they might figure that their guards are better in a zone than containing the ball.

Stanford has taken it to them second half. Houston doesn't seem to be well coached, but are streaky and dangerous.

EDIT: Houston put a little comeback together with a press and a more aggressive half court defense. Stanford lead down to 6 at last media timeout.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't know enough about Houston to know if they like the 2-3 or if it had to do with the match up. Stanford seems to have a very athletic 6-9 guy (Dwight Powell) who plays like a guard - they might have been worried about that matchup. Or they might figure that their guards are better in a zone than containing the ball.

Stanford has taken it to them second half. Houston doesn't seem to be well coached, but are streaky and dangerous.

EDIT: Houston put a little comeback together with a press and a more aggressive half court defense. Stanford lead down to 6 at last media timeout.

They kept missing pull up jumpers from 18. They kept settling for difficult shots.

Reaction Score
This is what Houston fans are saying:

I don't mean this as smack but a lot of the game looked like a pick up game played between good athletes. Couldn't really see any planning or strategy.

That's my major beef with Dickey. He recruits good athletes, but they never get any better under him. House had NBA potential coming out of high school, and has yet to be taught how to play defense. It's sad, really. The kid would probably be a lottery pick next year had he gone to Kansas, Ohio State, Baylor, etc. His offer sheet was riddled with powerhouse programs with real coaches that could of developed his game.

Make Dickey our head recruiter or something, then go and get a real coach, and we'd be onto something.

So now in the AAC we have two programs playing streetball with players who were highly recruited. Memphis and Houston. SMU at least has Larry Brown, for 2 more years anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom