Watching other College Basketball games | The Boneyard

Watching other College Basketball games

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Most seasons watching College Basketball is my wintertime hobby. A snowy Saturday stuck indoors watching hoops is one of my favorite things.

In the past when UConn lost a game, sometimes I wouldn't be able to stomach watching CBB for the next 12-48 hours depending on how upset I was. Usually after I got over it I would watch just about any game on TV. During the seasons when UConn was really good I would literally watch hoops every night of the week.

This season I haven't watched a non-UConn game since early December, maybe even November. I know who the good teams are but haven't seen most of them play. I've heard how awesome Trae Young is but haven't seen him in action. I typically take the first 2 days of March Madness off work to watch all the games, and I'm not sure I'll be doing that this year. Anyone else feel the same?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's killed my enthusiasm for college basketball, really.

I also think that the NBA has become a much better product over the last decade than it used to be. The 1990s/early 2000s brand of hacking D and iso O has fortunately gone the way of the Dodo. Plus, the Celtics are fun as hell to watch. While watching UConn is about as fun as undergoing a root canal.

So, yeah, I'm not watching much CBB at all these days.

Reaction Score
I’m 100% in the same boat. I actually ordered NBA League Pass to get my basketball fulfillment bc I just have little passion for college sports these days.

I think it boils down ultimately to realignment, where the men’s program and football are on the field, plus the NCAA crookedness (scandals, etc). It’s not fun for me bc everytime I see a game in any sport and I see a team that is in the P5 especially I can’t help but think of how we got hosed and where our athletic dept is.

What bothers me even more and scares the hell out of me is the fact that a majority of our games I don’t care if I really catch them and when we lose I just go about my day where as in the past I’d revolve my schedule around the games and lose sleep if we lost.

Reaction Score
I'll watch a few games here and there. The AAC really killed a lot of my love of the sport. Not that I hate the AAC teams, I'm just indifferent to them and it's nothing like following the old Big East. That said I will definitely be taking the first two (real) days of the tournament off.

Reaction Score
I’m 100% in the same boat. I actually ordered NBA League Pass to get my basketball fulfillment bc I just have little passion for college sports these days.

I think it boils down ultimately to realignment, where the men’s program and football are on the field, plus the NCAA crookedness (scandals, etc). It’s not fun for me bc everytime I see a game in any sport and I see a team that is in the P5 especially I can’t help but think of how we got hosed and where our athletic dept is.

What bothers me even more and scares the hell out of me is the fact that a majority of our games I don’t care if I really catch them and when we lose I just go about my day where as in the past I’d revolve my schedule around the games and lose sleep if we lost.
Exactly. And that sucks. Sometimes now I don't even know when a game is on. Never ever thought it would come to that.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

I also think that the NBA has become a much better product over the last decade than it used to be. The 1990s/early 2000s brand of hacking D and iso O has fortunately gone the way of the Dodo. Plus, the Celtics are fun as hell to watch. While watching UConn is about as fun as undergoing a root canal.

So, yeah, I'm not watching much CBB at all these days.

I've definitely watched more Celtics games than any season since 2009, and I've started to appreciate the NBA game more. There is something special about CBB that the NBA will never be able to re-create, but the basketball is certainly better and the games are more fun than they used to be.

Reaction Score
I've definitely watched more Celtics games than any season since 2009, and I've started to appreciate the NBA game more. There is something special about CBB that the NBA will never be able to re-create, but the basketball is certainly better and the games are more fun than they used to be.

The Bruins have been my cure for this season's blues.

And, hey, college baseball starts in a few short weeks. UConn should be really fun to follow this year.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
The Bruins have been my cure for this season's blues.

And, hey, college baseball starts in a few short weeks. UConn should be really fun to follow this year.

It's times like this that I wish I could get into hockey

Reaction Score
It's times like this that I wish I could get into hockey

Hey you seem like someone interested in design, have you had a chance to check out the latest renderings of the new UConn soccer and baseball stadiums?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I'm actually in the same boat even though Cincinnati is having a great season. There was a stretch (starting when UC was quite mediocre) in the Big East where I'd watch Big East basketball religiously, especially Big Monday. I was familiar with most of the rotational players on the top teams in the conference and at least a handful of guys on the bad teams. Around the country I knew who was good, who was having a surprise season, who was disappointing, who the main stars were, etc. Now I don't have a clue really. As cliche as it sounds, I think it really started for me with the one and done stuff. Outside of a handful of programs, teams aren't consistently good year to year because of all the turnover. In the past it was fun seeing a program "coming on" like you could tell they were gonna be good soon. Now I feel like there are a bunch of flash in the pan players/programs that are good for a year or two and fade away.

Reaction Score
The NBA is so much better it’s not even close.

That being said, this looks to be a very good draft with Young, Ayton, and Bagley at the top.

Reaction Score

Completely. I don't think I've watched an entire non-UConn game this season. And, to be honest, I haven't come close to watching every UConn game and I'm probably 50/50 as to whether I bother to tune in tomorrow morning. I'll probably watch until Nova's up 20-0, shut it off, and not think about it again. The fact that the NBA is ridiculously great now helps.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
The other thing I've realized by watching more NBA games is how the college game would be better served by adopting some of their rules- Quarters, moving the 3pt line back to FIBA length at least, jump balls, etc.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Hey you seem like someone interested in design, have you had a chance to check out the latest renderings of the new UConn soccer and baseball stadiums?

I am and I have not

Reaction Score
I am and I have not

Baseball, softball and soccer. All going to be part of a "sports plaza."

Attachments

• IMG_5092.JPG
    IMG_5092.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 119
Reaction Score
Soccer stadium

Attachments

• IMG_5094.JPG
    IMG_5094.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 105

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm exactly the same OP with two exceptions.

Every night I press"c" on my Xfinity remote and if Syracuse is losing I flip on the end of game and crack a beer.

I also watch a little pac12 but only for Walton.

I used to watch everything I could this time of year. When UConn is in top 25 you pay more attention to top 25 games hoping for week to week movement . Now?

Bleccch depressing

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm a West Coast guy, Arizona and Gonzaga are my 2 main teams. I used to be a college hoops junkie and would watch just about any game that was on. My enthusiasm has been dwindling in recent years. I find I'm not interested in the vast majority of games that are on TV the last year or two. I think as mentioned above one and done, no continuity, conference realignments, scandals, etc. have all contributed.

Reaction Score
The NBA is so much better it’s not even close.

That being said, this looks to be a very good draft with Young, Ayton, and Bagley at the top.

The NBA is better? This is earth shattering!

Reaction Score
It's interesting to read these responses because I feel the same way as a lot of you.

However, it seems tv ratings have remained relatively steady.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
@Guapo thanks. Looking good. I'll have to get down there for some games after everything is fully operational

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I went from watching 8 to 10 college bball games a week to just watching UConn men and women when they are on TV on the west coast. And I record those.

I used to watch as much March madness as was possible, not working those days. Last year I did not watch one second of March madness, and I worked instead. I enjoy my work more than I enjoy college bball nowadays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom