Watched game on replay. McEntee was the best QB by a mile. | The Boneyard

Watched game on replay. McEntee was the best QB by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The offense with him in just clicked and moved the chains. The two freshmen are good backups right now but that's all they are...backups. Nebrich INT, McCummings fumble at 1 yard line (got lucky there) and that's against FCS team with 30 scholarships. McEntee had a nice rhythm when he was there and if he played the whole game this would've been a blowout.

The offensive line still needs to gell, but they are on the right track. Defense played well but against FCS team that was expected.

It's good to finally have 3 QBs that can throw a ball, but McEntee should be the one getting the majority of the snaps from now on.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I agree, I was surprised how well McEntee showed in the game. Which makes the last couple of years so frustrating. With all of the problems we had a QB, how did he not get a chance to play? We were an accurate QB away from being a great team the last couple of years. How the hell does McEntee not get a chance? Damn you FUCHRE!!! Another Easley situation...except we never even would have known what we could have had with McEntee if the coaching change didn't happen! Oh what could have been...

**end of rant

Reaction Score
I agree, I was surprised how well McEntee showed in the game. Which makes the last couple of years so frustrating. With all of the problems we had a QB, how did he not get a chance to play? We were an accurate QB away from being a great team the last couple of years. How the hell does McEntee not get a chance? Damn you FUCHRE!!! Another Easley situation...except we never even would have known what we could have had with McEntee if the coaching change didn't happen! Oh what could have been...

**end of rant

It is 1 game. Against Fordham. Lets not go throwing out Easley comparisons just yet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The offense with him in just clicked and moved the chains. The two freshmen are good backups right now but that's all they are...backups. Nebrich INT, McCummings fumble at 1 yard line (got lucky there) and that's against FCS team with 30 scholarships. McEntee had a nice rhythm when he was there and if he played the whole game this would've been a blowout.

The offensive line still needs to gell, but they are on the right track. Defense played well but against FCS team that was expected.

It's good to finally have 3 QBs that can throw a ball, but McEntee should be the one getting the majority of the snaps from now on.

I look forward to the formation of McEntee, Nebrich and McCummings camps on this board, similar to the D.Brown and Hernandez camps back in 2006. Good times.

Reaction Score
Best QB by a mile is pretty big words, wow. I definitely don't agree with your assessment...I think a lot of times people try to read way too much into a couple quarters of play to judge a QB (ie, Michael Box being "terrible" after 2 quarters of play in a game we didn't show up for).

McEntee's pocket presence terrifies me, and to me, is a good enough reason to not blame Edsall for not playing him over Frazer. Edsall definitely had a reason to feel that way. It remains to be seen whether he can improve in that aspect, and whether it will become too painful of a flaw against teams with good pass rushes.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The two freshmen are good backups right now but that's all they are...backups. Nebrich INT, McCummings fumble at 1 yard line (got lucky there) and that's against FCS team with 30 scholarships.
Mac should have been picked as well, they each had a pretty big error. He looks good when the game moves slowly. I am curious as to how he'll look when the game speeds up a little. No matter who starts, each of these guys should show improvement over the course of the season as they gain experience.

Reaction Score
Eventually Coach P will have to make a decision on a full-time starter, but it's still too small a sample size (1 game vs. a FCS school) to make any concrete judgments. I would expect he'll experiment again next week with 2, maybe all 3 QBs and McEntee starting. Based on the upgrade in competition level, we should at least know some more by game's end what the QB situation should be.

Reaction Score
I don't know that I can really make a judgement at this point. UConn's OLine just dominated the line of scrimmage against a much weaker opponent and gave the QB's the kind of time and lack of pressure they won't see during conference play. McEntee was definitely the most impressive as a passer but I want to see what all of them can do with a little heat on them. I was impressed with Neibrich's pressence in the pocket, but the ball came out wobbly a lot. I also like McCummings in the wildcat, but we need to see his passing more than just one wide open throw.

Reaction Score
I would think we will see Johnny Mac start and sprinkle in McCummings. Not sure how much of Nebrich we will get.

By the way, how nice is it to see a fake inside handoff to a fake option read to a 50 yard throw. Creativity!!!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I would think we will see Johnny Mac start and sprinkle in McCummings. Not sure how much of Nebrich we will get.

By the way, how nice is it to see a fake inside handoff to a fake option read to a 50 yard throw. Creativity!!!

I agree with most of the comments on here the past couple days. It appears to me that starting this week at Vandy McEntee is the starter and McCummings will play a bit to mix it up. I love McCummings around the goal line. Reminds me of Tebow inside the 5.....almost impossible to defend. Scott just needs to perfect the jump pass!

Nebrich is the # 2. He will play in blow outs or when McEntee is ineffective. I like Nebrich's game, and he will look better with more experience, but based on 1 game, they probably should just roll with McEntee and McCummings.

I really hope that they don't play 3 again against Vandy. No offensive flow yesterday.

Reaction Score
Nobody won by a mile. Can't make a big deal about a pick and near fumble from the other 2, and not mention McEntee's near interception on what should have been an easy touchdown throw. Besides that, he looked good, but he also had a lot of time for the most part to drop back and throw, and had a lot of open receivers. He was good, but can't make too big a judgement from half a game against a team like this. Same with Nebrich, I liked some things he looked like he has the potential to be a dynamic player, but there's no way to tell if he's ready to play against real competition.

I do think we need to get down to 2, and it looks like that means McEntee/Nebrich and then Mccummings as a change of pace. I think they'll probably go with McEntee and I'm fine with that, but I don't think he separated himself, whoever starts should be on a fairly short leash.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nebrich has the higher upside and made the best play. That 2nd and 9 completion for a 1st down was a big-time play that keeps drives alive. You go with the playmaker.

Reaction Score
I'll agree Nebrich showed the most pure playmaking ability but I don't think he is the favorite right now. Obviously we need to see how they all respond against a stronger opponent but McEntee looked comfortable in the pocket, made pretty good decisions, and delivered an accurate ball. Nebrich looked comfortable moving around but the ball just came out very wobbly. From practice reports it sounded like he was throwing a nice ball in practice so that may be just nerves, but FWIW, McEntee to me was the more impressive in terms of win now.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'll agree Nebrich showed the most pure playmaking ability but I don't think he is the favorite right now. Obviously we need to see how they all respond against a stronger opponent but McEntee looked comfortable in the pocket, made pretty good decisions, and delivered an accurate ball. Nebrich looked comfortable moving around but the ball just came out very wobbly. From practice reports it sounded like he was throwing a nice ball in practice so that may be just nerves, but FWIW, McEntee to me was the more impressive in terms of win now.
With more reps all of them are going to improve. I think that Nebrich may have the most upside. Not saying that he should be the number 1 option though.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don't think Nebrich made the "best play" at all. That would belong to McCummings TD pass but that doesn't mean I want McCummings in there to start all the time. That would not be good at all.

I just watched the replay again as well and came away more impressed with Johnny Mac than I was the first time around. His completions were pretty good ones. Sharp, crisp passes that appropriately led receivers in stride or on the appropriate shoulder. His play action to I Moore int he 1st quarter was a nice pass. So was the seam route to Griffin and the crossing route to K Moore in the 3rd quarter.

As for pocket presence, his one sack take was on an unblocked rusher - I think most QB's would have taken the sack there. He threw away another ball into the middle (not the ideal place to throw it but it was uncatchable and was near the receiver to avoid an intentional grounding call) when there was pressure, and on another play he had a very nice hot read to McCombs on a blitz that was called back due to a penalty. Overall, better than I remembered although that deep pass was definitely a mistake. Then again, I've never felt the need to a QB who can throw a bomb ball. I'd prefer someone who can make the short and medium throws and can appropriately read the defense and McEntee seems to be able to do that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think the way forward based off of the first game is McEntee getting most of the snaps. He throws an easy ball on the short and medium routes. It's a predictable pass that the receivers catch in stride. I don't care that he can't throw a 40 yard rope. Most college QB's can't. McCummings is a great change of pace QB who keeps the defense guessing. Nebrich is the wildcard. He obviously has the most room for growth and he shows flashes of the future.

Based off of today. McEntee gets snaps until he proves otherwise. McCummings comes in with a set of plays to run and Nebrich keeps getting game experience in case either of the Mc's get injured.

Reaction Score
does anyone have a site that shows the game in full replay that is NOT named ESPN?

Reaction Score
For the first game, against a weaker type team, it was a confidence booster for the team and all 3 QB's, based on lack of experience in a number of areas.

For the mistakes that were made, some were mirror images of that which were made by more experienced QB's the last two years.

The biggest plus is we went from a team with QB's with no experience to one with QB's that all got a taste of live action.

I hope in preseason PP at least give's two QB's a chance to sharpen their skills. If it happens for all three, great!

With experience, I think all three can develop into decent QB's........but the operative word is experience. Injuries happen as we have seen in the QB position. PP needs a stable of QB's tested to some degree.

I think PP can grow on me......it was a simple offense against Fordham, and defense wasn't overly aggressive........and even with bumps in the road, I think the program has the right leadership and direction

Reaction Score
We will see what happens when there is more pressure on the QB. Nebrich very capable in escaping and creating. 9 yards for one of the escapes. Good speed. Ability to throw on the run will determine how fast he progresses. Lorenzen with better accuracy?? I changed my mind and say that by the end of the year Nebrich takes it. He needs more game exp. but the mobility gives us a something that we never had. The int was not really his fault.

Reaction Score
MAC put up seven points in the first quarter. Same as Nebrich and McCummings in the second.

Reaction Score
yeah lol figured, to watch the Fordham game I had to skype my dad and he hooked a computer (showing EPSN3) up to the TV, then I watched the game through skype, it was awesome

Reaction Score
Seems like coaches picking starting QB's isn't so exact. ND changed, SMU and USC also. Not sure if those teams acted to early or what. Wanted to see more mobility from OL (seemed to wiff on a few blocks in space and also set picks more than drive block on some plays) and safeties taking better angles on runs and pass coverage (a few mistakes and costs tds). Saw a few minutes of the Vandy game and they aren't Alabama or the LSU defense so should be good game. After 1st week of BE games, saw WV, USF and LV and who knows how any individual game will turn out, but don't see any teams that make me think we'll be overmatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom