Watch the NCAA tourney like a WNBA coach: A beginner's guide to scouting | The Boneyard

Watch the NCAA tourney like a WNBA coach: A beginner's guide to scouting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Your favorite WNBA team is close to making the climb to the next level. You know that all it takes is that draft choice to pan out, to be the difference maker. You have supreme confidence in the coaches and management of the team to make the right choice, sort of.

Inside every fan of every sport is a closet general manager. You read the statistics and box scores. You have discussions with your message board friends. But do you really know what your favorite team is seeing when they watch college players?

A panel of WNBA head coaches and assistant coaches, on the condition of anonymity, so as to not spread any deep dark secrets, discussed exactly what they are looking for when they are watching the WNBA stars of tomorrow. Suffice to say the combined resumes include championships and high draft picks. Now you can use this guide while you watch the tournament to see if you can figure out your own draft choices.

Check out the pictures! I know they got me psyched!

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/201...ch-a-beginners-guide-to-scouting-the-seniors/

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Beyond the agreed "Big 3", there aren't too many players on that list that I (fancying myself a WNBA coach) would pick ahead of Kelly.

Especially given some of the criteria mentioned:

- Can she defend and is she interested in defending?

- Awareness of game situations;

- Communication with teammates and coaches.

Reaction Score
Now you know why so many coaches are looking at Kelly as even a possible lottery pick

Reaction Score
Given their needs and place in the draft order, I think the Sun might want to be taking a serious look at Shenneika Smith and Kayla Alexander. It seems likely to me that Kelly and Terp Hawkins will be gone by the time Connecticut drafts. Smith and Alexander would each address one of the Sun's two major needs, a scoring wing and post depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom