Watch Out For Temple's Future | The Boneyard

Watch Out For Temple's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Head Coach Sean McDonnell at UNH has had a pretty good eye for coaching talent. Both Chip Kelly (Oregon) and Dan Mullen (Miss St.) started their careers on his staff up there. Now another guy with links to that program, Ryan Day, is ready to make his mark. And we'll be seeing him on Saturday.

Feb 14, 2012

Temple To Name 32-year-old Ryan Day as Offensive Coordinator

Ryan Day, the former star quarterback at the University of New Hampshire (1997-2001) and Manchester Central High will be starting his second coaching stint with the Owls. Currently the receivers coach at BC, Day spent 2006 as a Temple assistant coach. Previously, he was at the University of Florida (2005), serving as an offensive graduate assistant under then-Gators offensive coordinator Dan Mullen and head coach Urban Meyer. Mullen, who led Manchester Trinity to the NH state football title in 1988, was Urban Meyer's offensive coordinator and QB coach at Florida from 2005-08 after starting his career at UNH. He is currently the head coach at Mississippi State. Chip Kelly, at the controls for high-powered University of Oregon. was offensive coordinator and QB coach at UNH from 1999-2006. It was Kelly who recruited Ryan Day to play QB in Durham. The current Ducks head coach also attempted to bring Day aboard to coach at Oregon two years ago. Both Mullen and Kelly, during their time as coordinators, engineered prolific offenses that ranked among the best nationally for their respective levels of college football. And both now say Day can do the same for the Owls. Can he? Steve Addazio thinks so. He will be announcing Ryan Day as Temple's Offensive Coordinator later today.

So on Saturday, as we face Steve Addazio and Ryan Day, sit back with the knowledge they both could have been on our sidelines. We may still win the game, but it will be noteworthy to watch the nature of Day's offense. And once he starts recruiting players to fit his style, well who knows---but not to worry. We have PP and George DeLeone. Thank you Mr.Hathaway.

Reaction Score
In fairness, Addazio was already hired by Temple by the time stole himself away in the night in Maryland's jet.

But he definitely would do great things standing on our sideline. Food chain.

pj

Reaction Score
Darn. Addazio is taking Temple in the direction I'd like to see UConn go.

Reaction Score
We'll see what direction things start going in the second half of the season.

Left tackle - never played a full season.
Center - brand new.
QB - brand new
FB - brand new
TB - 166 lbs
WR1 - hasn't played in over a year
WR2- brand new
WR3 - brand new
LG - pretty much brand new.

We've got to win games now though, it's crunch time. They've all got 6 games experience now, and should have a really good idea about what it takes, and what they've got to do. I think they all know it.

Looking forward to homecoming, and seeing this offense start to gel.

Reaction Score

Center - brand new.
QB - brand new
FB - brand new
TB - 166 lbs
WR2- brand new
WR3 - brand new

We've got to win games now though, it's crunch time. They've all got 6 games experience now, and should have a really good idea about what it takes, and what they've got to do. I think they all know it.

Carl, the LT is a red-shirt senior. While he has been hurt, he is still a red shirt senior. He shouldn't have 2 false starts a game. His performance obviously got PP riled up on Saturday and that is saying a lot because most of the time I wonder if PP has a pulse. The OL is made up mosty of RS Srs and RS Jrs. They have been around for a while. They should be performing better than they are. So either they aren't very good or the scheme isn't...probably some of both. I will say that a referee who helped out in some of the preseason scrimmages commented privately that UConn did not look very good. I chalked that comment up to the fact that they were going up against a very good defense day in and day out.

The FB is not brand new. Reuben Frank saw plenty of playing time last year. There are 9 players that are bolded in that offensive two deep (I'll include Griffin even though he is not bolded) that had signficant amounts of playing time, if not starters in prior years. I do not give Mike Smith a pass because he didn't play last year. He was a starter/signficant contributor the 2 years prior. All of these guys, with the exception of the center position, should've had a pretty good idea of what it was going to take to be successful since August 1st.

Reaction Score
Carl, the LT is a red-shirt senior. While he has been hurt, he is still a red shirt senior. He shouldn't have 2 false starts a game. His performance obviously got PP riled up on Saturday and that is saying a lot because most of the time I wonder if PP has a pulse. The OL is made up mosty of RS Srs and RS Jrs. They have been around for a while. They should be performing better than they are. So either they aren't very good or the scheme isn't...probably some of both. I will say that a referee who helped out in some of the preseason scrimmages commented privately that UConn did not look very good. I chalked that comment up to the fact that they were going up against a very good defense day in and day out.

The FB is not brand new. Reuben Frank saw plenty of playing time last year. There are 9 players that are bolded in that offensive two deep (I'll include Griffin even though he is not bolded) that had signficant amounts of playing time, if not starters in prior years. I do not give Mike Smith a pass because he didn't play last year. He was a starter/signficant contributor the 2 years prior. All of these guys, with the exception of the center position, should've had a pretty good idea of what it was going to take to be successful since August 1st.

can you try to let me get fired up for homecoming? I will get fired up for this game.

Reaction Score
Sorry Carl, I'm afraid it isn't experience that's been holding us back. It's an OC's offensive philosophy and scheme that doesn't take advantage of the strengths and limitations of our personnel--- and O-Line blocking techniques that don't provide the proper complement to support his effed up strategies.

Reaction Score
Sorry Carl, I'm afraid it isn't experience that's been holding us back. It's an OC's offensive philosophy and scheme that doesn't take advantage of the strengths and limitations of our personnel--- and O-Line blocking techniques that don't provide the proper complement to support his effed up strategies.

Look, I've harped on that all week. I remember being told at a dinner, that we are going to be a right handed team. We are going to use our strenghts, which is the right sided running game.

I've seen only glimpses of it. I saw it move the ball right down the #1 rushing D in the country throat, until the wishbone was called.

I saw a RB actually demonstrate some field vision and cut back in a lane and score a TD against Maryland with it. I saw the same blockgin against the #1 rush D i the country, except a freshmen TB didn't demonstate field vision and ran right up his center's back.

I've seen our FB, blow more blocks than I care to think about - THAT needs to change.

I saw a senior TB with a career what 5 carriers, go 50 yards for TD with it.

I've seen Deleone call trick, gimmicky stuff, that makes me mad. I've seen us destroy any of our own momentum on offense, all by our selves too many time.

Am I reaching? Sure - these guys absolutely should 'know what it takes' at this point. I't snot an excuse any more, but I'll give it for now.

I certainly better see this offense, start going to it's strengths, abd we better beat Temple on Saturday, and we better go on the road 6 days after, and beat Cuse.

No excuses.

Reaction Score
No excuses. I like that. My Grandfather once told me something as a kid that I've never forgotten. He said--"Make no excuses for failure and no apologies for success."

Reaction Score
Addazio might well be a good coach. Same with Day. But the I suspect that Temple has a limited upside. No fans, modest facilities, and now they'll be held to a higher standard in recruiting, so no partial qualifiers.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Center - brand new.
QB - brand new
FB - brand new
TB - 166 lbs
WR2- brand new
WR3 - brand new

There are other options at RB besides giving it to McCombs every running play. It's a choice the coaching staff has made and their decision to go this route is well within the scope of the AD's evaluation of the staff.

Reaction Score
Addazio might well be a good coach. Same with Day. But the I suspect that Temple has a limited upside. No fans, modest facilities, and now they'll be held to a higher standard in recruiting, so no partial qualifiers.
Living about 15 min from the Linc and 30min from the Temple campus , Ive gotta disagree with this assessment. The construction on campus is out of control. New football facilities underway, along with football dorms that are incredible complete with granite in the kitchen and an inground pool off the sliders. The stadium (although not close to being full) is still a top notch NFL stadium. Temple did what I thought they would do and pluck some of South Jerseys top talent for 2013 in Buddy Brown, Jared Alwan and others. This program is on the rise, although still need to recruit better offensive playmakers. Gonna be hard to keep Addazio in South Philly in a year or two!

Reaction Score

Center - brand new.
QB - brand new
FB - brand new
TB - 166 lbs
WR2- brand new
WR3 - brand new

Do you know that Temple is dominated by freshman's and softmore's? Yet Addazio has them winning, and the program is heading into the right direction! They ran all over USF and Addazio was jumping all over the place he was fired up.. Do we see that with our coaches besides Don Brown?? Just figure it out! the coaches we hired are no good...

Reaction Score
Do you know that Temple is dominated by freshman's and softmore's? Yet Addazio has them winning, and the program is heading into the right direction! They ran all over USF and Addazio was jumping all over the place he was fired up.. Do we see that with our coaches besides Don Brown?? Just figure it out! the coaches we hired are no good...
Um...he has them at .500 with wins over South Florida (who is on a 4 game losing streak) and 1AA
Villanova and losses to Penn State and Maryland. Lets not over sell the success until he has some, huh? As far as jumping around, well some guys do that, some guys don't. Don't recall Bill Belichek as being much of a jumper...Bill Walsh didn't" jump all over the place" when he was at Stanford or with the 49ers. Now Pete Carroll, he was a jumped all over the place. Urban Meyer, he jumped when he was young, but doesn't jump as much any more. Can't imagine Bear Bryant as a jumper and Bobby Bowden didn't jump either...so I guess you can say the evidence is decidedly mixed on whether jumping all over the place makes for a good coach or not...

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Um...he has them at .500 with wins over South Florida (who is on a 4 game losing streak) and 1AA
Villanova and losses to Penn State and Maryland. Lets not over sell the success until he has some, huh? As far as jumping around, well some guys do that, some guys don't. Don't recall Bill Belichek as being much of a jumper...Bill Walsh didn't" jump all over the place" when he was at Stanford or with the 49ers. Now Pete Carroll, he was a jumped all over the place. Urban Meyer, he jumped when he was young, but doesn't jump as much any more. Can't imagine Bear Bryant as a jumper and Bobby Bowden didn't jump either...so I guess you can say the evidence is decidedly mixed on whether jumping all over the place makes for a good coach or not...

Bear Bryant and Bobby Bowden is a whole different era my friend... And I'm not saying that a fired up coach is a good coach, but we can certainly use an energetic coach like Addazio right about now... Re-watch that Temple USF game and tell me if his enthusiasm doesn't have anything to do with the team playing fired up every game... What are you going to say if Temple beats us? and if you re-watch the game his team is over .500 I watched the game last night! U can see Temple's identity can you tell what our team identity is? Just sayin!

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I hope we crush these guys tomorrow. Literally send them home with their little owl wings broken.

In December maybe Warde offers Addazio's agent a generous number.

Reaction Score
Bear Bryant and Bobby Bowden is a whole different era my friend... And I'm not saying that a fired up coach is a good coach, but we can certainly use an energetic coach like Addazio right about now... Re-watch that Temple USF game and tell me if his enthusiasm doesn't have anything to do with the team playing fired up every game... What are you going to say if Temple beats us? and if you re-watch the game his team is over .500 I watched the game last night! U can see Temple's identity can you tell what our team identity is? Just sayin!
I happen to like Adazzio, too. But you're the one who said he has them winning, which as it happens, isn't true. they beat Villanova, then lost 2 straight to 2 very ordinary teams then beat what appears to be a not very good USF team. Just think you should wait until people actually accomplish stuff before you anoint them as the next Vince Lombardi. Oh, and Vince didn't jump all over the place either.

Reaction Score
I like Addazio.

He was on the list to replace Jags, but something happened (believe he got sick) and Gene just hired Spaz which shows you what a sham of a search it was.

Let me know how Montel looks. He's a great kid who got screwed by that buffoon Spaz. Everyone at BC is rooting for him to rush for 2000 yards, win the Heisman and have his speech simply be the double middle finger salute to Gene and Spaz. Better yet, is the game on TV? There aren't a ton of good games this week, I'll try tune in.

It's not on the tube. ESPN 3 exclusive.

Curious, what's the short list that you guys have look like?

pj

Reaction Score
We should beat them, as their offense is all running which we're good at defending.

But we'd better show something offensively.

Reaction Score
I happen to like Adazzio, too. But you're the one who said he has them winning, which as it happens, isn't true. they beat Villanova, then lost 2 straight to 2 very ordinary teams then beat what appears to be a not very good USF team. Just think you should wait until people actually accomplish stuff before you anoint them as the next Vince Lombardi. Oh, and Vince didn't jump all over the place either.

Yea again your buddy Vince Lombardi is from a whole different era... And never did I compare him to any great... not once! What I meant to say for the past 2 years Addazio has a winning record compared to Paul Pasqualoni. I understand they beat Villanova and USF ( a team picked high in the Big East plus gave Florida ST a good game) but who did we beat? Buffalo?? that almost came back for the win, Umass?? there first year in the FBS, and Maryland?? that we barely beat. We lost to W. Michigan twice! for god sake... Temple's losses this year comes from the likes of Penn State and Maryland, so it's not like they lost to a MAC teams... Smh! Oh yeah we did!

Temple are nowhere near the talent level we have, so our record shouldn't be almost identical... that goes to show how good of a coach Addazio is, and again they may win tomorrow so keep that in mind!

Reaction Score
We should beat them, as their offense is all running which we're good at defending.

But we'd better show something offensively.

I agree, but they run a lot of options, and from our history with the option attack it hasn't been so great.

Reaction Score

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

Check out Steve Adazzio's winning percentage it's over (.640) and Pasqualoni's is a little under (.450)

Oh yea and Temple won today so there will be a change with the percentages! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom