Watch Duke Superstar Celeste Taylor Get Leveled & Injure Shoulder | The Boneyard

Watch Duke Superstar Celeste Taylor Get Leveled & Injure Shoulder

sun

Reaction Score
Imagine if such a reckless injury ever happened to one of the UConn players.

I came across this video of former LUHI standout and U16 & U19 Team USA Olympic winner Celeste Taylor getting injured in a game against Syracuse on Jan. 9th.
She's been in a sling and hasn't played since.
I hadn't heard of her before and looking up more info. found that she was a 5 star Class of 2019 prospect of Long Island Lutheran HS.
She doesn't seem to have ever been recruited by UConn.
At least that's what the ESPN HS scouting page indicates.
How did UConn miss out on her?

HS scouting page:

Bio:

Duke Stats after transferring:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I came across this video of former LUHI standout and U16 & U19 Team USA Olympic winner Celeste Taylor getting injured in a game against Syracuse on Jan. 9th.
I hadn't heard of her before and looking up more info. found that she was a 5 star Class of 2019 prospect of Long Island Lutheran HS.

HS scouting page:

Bio:

Duke Stats after transferring:

This may be a question better for the UConn page, however for as much as UConn has great success with recruiting, it could be more than just "missing out". There is so much to the recruiting process that we'll never have visibility to.

As you noted, she played for the U16 and U19 USA teams. UConn is always in attendance for those tournaments have signed several players who have played for that team. They've also signed players from international teams, like Edwards and Muhl, who were at these competitions.

Also, for all we know, Taylor may not have expressed interest in the program when/if she had been approached. There are players who may not see UConn as the right fit for various reasons.

Look at Boston and Amihere of South Carolina. UConn was in their final five and they opted to play for Coach Staley. I know for Amihere, she's gone on record stating she connected very well with Staley and saw the vision that Staley had for her both as a player and a person.

sun

Reaction Score
Also, for all we know, Taylor may not have expressed interest in the program when/if she had been approached. There are players who may not see UConn as the right fit for various reasons.
Thanks, that makes sense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

UCONN did not miss out on Celeste. Celeste's father used to occasionally (maybe still does ) post here on the BY. I don't recall the details but the family had strong ties to the University of Texas and made it know very early on in the recruiting process that UCONN was not a possibility. At USA basketball, Texas and even in AAU for the Philly Belles Celeste was the ultimate winning role player. What I mean by that and it was intended to be a great compliment is that she provided what ever the team needed to win. If the team need to lock down a hot shooter Celeste did that. If the team needed deep shooting she did that as well. She was never the "star" on any of these teams but she was essential to winning basketball. Celeste would have done extremely well at UCONN. Unless my memory is going bad she played U16, U17 & U19 for USA Basketball.

Get well soon Celeste.

That hit was clearly accidental but what I appreciate the least about the incident is Rice's reaction and lack of concern. Rice should have been sent home IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hate to see someone get hurt, but playing hard shouldn't be penalized. Rice looks like she's doing her best not to fall to pieces. She keeps looking back at Celeste...obviously concerned.

Reaction Score
I didn't see concern from Rice.
At first look...I didn't either. I don't think Rice realized the extent of the collision...probably because she's dizzy. She didn't exactly walk away unscathed. She gets clothes hung herself. She looks back twice and is emotional. That coach seems to be trying to settle her down and she is too busy it appears looking at a replay and realizes how violently they clashed.

Reaction Score
She looks like "It is not my fault" to me.
First, it wasn't her fault so she would be correct. I still think she felt bad, but it's the coach who is trying to tell her ...it's not your fault because she's about to cry. It really was an unfortunate accident. My point is...what are they penalizing her for?

sun

Reaction Score
First, it wasn't her fault so she would be correct. I still think she felt bad, but it's the coach who is trying to tell her ...it's not your fault because she's about to cry. It really was an unfortunate accident. My point is...what are they penalizing her for?
I think that she used excessive force by coming on at full speed like a battering ram.
That would seem to indicate that she used extremely poor judgment.
In that respect it was her fault because it wasn't a clean play - it was reckless judgment, much like reckless driving.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: All (Most?) contact in basketball in theory is accidental but it is still a penalty. One of the hardest things I had to explain to the kids I coached is this: I know you didn't mean to trip her, but you did trip her and that's why the ref called a foul.

Reaction Score
:eek: All (Most?) contact in basketball in theory is accidental but it is still a penalty. One of the hardest things I had to explain to the kids I coached is this: I know you didn't mean to trip her, but you did trip her and that's why the ref called a foul.
They got two shots AND the ball. It's the AND part that seems inappropriate.

Reaction Score
I'm sitting here wondering how Audrey Warren from Texas still has a pulse. She seems to have one of these collisions per game.

sun

Reaction Score
They got two shots AND the ball. It's the AND part that seems inappropriate.
A flagrant (intentional) foul would have resulted in the player's ejection from the game, getting 2 shots and possession of the ball.
In that respect, making it a technical foul instead of simply being called a regular foul was appropriate.
There needs to be some kind of penalty for causing another player to leave the game by using extra-ordinary force and poor judgement.
That's probably why reckless driving incurs a larger fine and the loss of more driver's license points than other moving traffic violations.
I'm only a layperson so maybe someone else with officiating experience will chime in about it.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, I definitely see the Syracuse player looking concerned and upset. Crazy how differently people can react to seeing the same thing.

It's probably surprising there aren't more collisions like this in basketball. They were both trying to get the ball and arrived in the same space at the same time. Unfortunate an injury occurred.

sun

Reaction Score
Superstar ?
Apparently she can play lights out on both offense and defense.
Here's a 2 minute highlight video of her playing against SC in Dec., 2021.
Once I saw how good she plays, that's what led me to wonder why she wasn't offered by UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel for both players. Celeste Taylor is one of my favorites. I don't know Rice, but I certainly didn't see anything deliberate or with intent to injure in her actions. Rice also looked very concerned to me with Celeste's condition.

Reaction Score
This thread has a pretty ridiculous premise. Blame Rice if you want, but also blame the Duke teammate for throwing Taylor a lollipop pass over the middle.

Reaction Score
I think that she used excessive force by coming on at full speed like a battering ram.
That would seem to indicate that she used extremely poor judgment.
In that respect it was her fault because it wasn't a clean play - it was reckless judgment, much like reckless driving.
It was a loose ball. Should she curtsey first?

Reaction Score
A flagrant (intentional) foul would have resulted in the player's ejection from the game, getting 2 shots and possession of the ball.
In that respect, making it a technical foul instead of simply being called a regular foul was appropriate.
There needs to be some kind of penalty for causing another player to leave the game by using extra-ordinary force and poor judgement.
That's probably why reckless driving incurs a larger fine and the loss of more driver's license points than other moving traffic violations.
I'm only a layperson so maybe someone else with officiating experience will chime in about it.
It's reckless if it's intentional. She didn't get ejected so I'm simply saying...they should get the two shots because it was an unintended accident as a result of playing hard...which is not a violation. Her target was the ball...not Celeste. If you play fetch with your dog and throw the stick over a cliff and the dog goes off the cliff...you would blame the dog?

sun

Reaction Score
It was a loose ball. Should she curtsey first?
There wasn't any loose ball.
Taylor clearly had the ball in both hands.
The opponent tried to intercept but arrived late.
The opponent only has a right to grasp the ball to steal it at that point, not to batterTaylor like a linebacker.
Please watch the video more closely because it's clear as day.

sun

Reaction Score
It's reckless if it's intentional. She didn't get ejected so I'm simply saying...they should get the two shots because it was an unintended accident as a result of playing hard...which is not a violation. Her target was the ball...not Celeste. If you play fetch with your dog and throw the stick over a cliff and the dog goes off the cliff...you would blame the dog?
If a driver weaves in and out of traffic at 90 MPH on the interstate and in the process smashes into another car, then they're guilty of being a reckless driver for being irresponsible and exercising extremely poor judgment.
It's not just speeding, it's exercising reckless judgment without considering the circumstances.
Players need to be good sports and know when not to make idiotic moves that endanger the well being of other players.
This event was not ordinary basketball contact, but the result of extremely high impact.
If the steal /interception was successful, then it wouldn't have been poor judgment.
But because Rice erred by arriving too late when she made such high impact contact, then she needed to be penalized more than just by having a simple contact foul called.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom