Washington Post on Tonight's game | The Boneyard

Washington Post on Tonight's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Previously posted Cardinal. Interesting quote on her development. “She’s just starting to realize what she has to do to stay on the floor — play defense, be ready to take the open shot, not question herself,” Millsaps said, adding, “You know, it’s not always easy for someone who was used to being a dominant player to fit in with all those other all-Americans.” From the NYT article you and I posted.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Another comment about the odds (as once famously annotated by sportswriter Ring Lardner):

Ecclesiastes 9:11-12:
"The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong."
. . . but that's where the smart money goes.
(Bet UConn.) ;)
Ecclesiastes via Damon Runyon. "...but that's the way to bet". "I long ago came to the conclusion that all life is 6 to 5 against".

Reaction Score
Previously posted Cardinal. Interesting quote on her development. “She’s just starting to realize what she has to do to stay on the floor — play defense, be ready to take the open shot, not question herself,” Millsaps said, adding, “You know, it’s not always easy for someone who was used to being a dominant player to fit in with all those other all-Americans.” From the NYT article you and I posted.
What is more interesting is that KLS, sick as she was, when Geno said you must take over this game
and she went from 4 points to 23 points with shots from every angle and position (even lying on the floor) and then took on Defenses--took charges (some questionable)--and steals. The kid did it all--
I ask you: Who got the best (good, better, best) Samuelson Sister???

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want Saint hood---they have to shoot you out of a Cannon--to Canonize you. Not me!!
Had that happen to a distant Cousin --30 years back---and they are still looking for him--Brother Andrea--.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ecclesiastes via Damon Runyon. "...but that's the way to bet". "I long ago came to the conclusion that all life is 6 to 5 against".

Thanks for the precise quote by Damon Runyan, probably written 60+ years ago. Hey, at least I got the Ecclesiastes quote right and that was probably written a couple thousand years ago!:)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thanks for the precise quote by Damon Runyan, probably written 60+ years ago. Hey, at least I got the Ecclesiastes quote right and that was probably written a couple thousand years ago!:)
You're talking to a fellow who when speaking to friends frequently refers to others as "What's his/her name", or "You know that guy in that movie". I usually end up telling people "Don't get old. You've been warned.".

Reaction Score
What is more interesting is that KLS, sick as she was, when Geno said you must take over this game
and she went from 4 points to 23 points with shots from every angle and position (even lying on the floor) and then took on Defenses--took charges (some questionable)--and steals. The kid did it all--
I ask you: Who got the best (good, better, best) Samuelson Sister???

Forget Kelsey Mitchell and her 30 point games against lousy opponents............if KLS keeps this up against ranked teams she deserves serious consideration for POY

Reaction Score
BroadwayVa, who knows how the two older Samuelson sisters would have turned out if they also had chosen UCONN and had been coached by Geno and staff. Lou is being pushed every day in practice and not so sure her sisters are pushed to perform up to Geno's level of expectations. I would have loved to see how they would have turned out if they had decided to except Geno's offer to play at UCONN. But your right on, Lou appears to be ready to take on the world and is not only going to be in consideration for All American, but also NPOY honors.

Reaction Score
If i'm not mistaken KLS was considered the best player of the Samuelson since she was 15 or so...It is possible that the other 2 sisters would have been better players under Geno. B. Samuelson was a great 3 point shooter when she entered Stanford and left a great 3 point shooter but not much else. C. Samuelson is a very good player (defense and offense) and probably more of the rebounding Samuelson :) KLS is an amazing player who just seems to get better and better. I think some UConn fans were afraid she'll turn to be more like Ann Strother (who was a good player but not great without a lead star like DT) than Stewie. But KLS is actually creating her own legacy, one game at the time. IMO a sure AA this season and serious candidate for POY.

Reaction Score
I'm just amazed at KLS' progress from last year.............everybody knew she could shoot the three but her mid range game and her ability to drive to the basket are somewhat of a revelation to me..............if her body can hold up to the pounding, she really should become a top three POY candidate this season and beyond..........

Reaction Score
I've gone back and watched some of Strother's pretty amazing play as a freshman. I had remembered her later years defense as a step behind and her hair on fire, but she was better than that. I do wish that Nicole Wolf could have stayed healthy and I think they both would have played to their potential.

Lou is a different level of tough on top of being a finesse player. She still reminds me of Dave Debuscherre a power forward with grace. But tonight you couldn't help but remember Jordan and the slap an iv in me game!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"While in high school, Gillespie attended Connecticut practices at the invitation of Auriemma, but the McDonald’s all-American and two-time state player of the year elected to come to Maryland because she said it provided the most comfortable fit."

Did we offer Gillespie? I don't remember.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"While in high school, Gillespie attended Connecticut practices at the invitation of Auriemma, but the McDonald’s all-American and two-time state player of the year elected to come to Maryland because she said it provided the most comfortable fit."

Did we offer Gillespie? I don't remember.
Not to my knowledge.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I've gone back and watched some of Strother's pretty amazing play as a freshman. I had remembered her later years defense as a step behind and her hair on fire, but she was better than that. I do wish that Nicole Wolf could have stayed healthy and I think they both would have played to their potential.

Lou is a different level of tough on top of being a finesse player. She still reminds me of Dave Debuscherre a power forward with grace. But tonight you couldn't help but remember Jordan and the slap an iv in me game!
Debuscherre is a nice comparison. Lou's shot is silker, especially off the curl. Butter. If she ever learns to box out like that guy....

Reaction Score
BroadwayVa, who knows how the two older Samuelson sisters would have turned out if they also had chosen UCONN and had been coached by Geno and staff. Lou is being pushed every day in practice and not so sure her sisters are pushed to perform up to Geno's level of expectations. I would have loved to see how they would have turned out if they had decided to except Geno's offer to play at UCONN. But your right on, Lou appears to be ready to take on the world and is not only going to be in consideration for All American, but also NPOY honors.
Every thing you post here has merit. If we look at the Stanford Samuelsons--I don't recall either having put that team on their back and won against a top 5 team.
However, in that you wonder how they would have been under Geno---i'll tell you--they'd be great and not just as 3 ball shooters. Bonnie in her Senior year was more rounded--KLS as s soph is fully rounded and getting better (how is that possible)
But like you--i would have been thrilled to have them here for Geno to coach!!
Katie Lou --a Soph and already has a NC ring. Neither sisters even as Seniors got one.
Sorry---I got carried away with Katie Lou's performance while barfing during breaks--amazing, just amazing. You are right we don't know how the sisters would have done under Geno..

Reaction Score
You're talking to a fellow who when speaking to friends frequently refers to others as "What's his/her name", or "You know that guy in that movie". I usually end up telling people "Don't get old. You've been warned.".

I would normally agree with you---but I prefer this to the other choice. And you are still a kid--wait when you really get old, then the real fun begins---it's only fun for us who enjoy challenges!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Every thing you post here has merit. If we look at the Stanford Samuelsons--I don't recall either having put that team on their back and won against a top 5 team.
However, in that you wonder how they would have been under Geno---i'll tell you--they'd be great and not just as 3 ball shooters. Bonnie in her Senior year was more rounded--KLS as s soph is fully rounded and getting better (how is that possible)
But like you--i would have been thrilled to have them here for Geno to coach!!
Katie Lou --a Soph and already has a NC ring. Neither sisters even as Seniors got one.
Sorry---I got carried away with Katie Lou's performance while barfing during breaks--amazing, just amazing. You are right we don't know how the sisters would have done under Geno..
I think Stanford's win against ND last year probably qualifies as a Samuelson leading her team to victory over a top 5 team game.
I think Lou had an advantage over her sisters growing up - she had to play against them in the driveway every day as a much younger sister - you either get tough quickly in those games or you take up a different sport!
Lou definitely had the best HS rep of the three, but they were all good in HS and in college. Lou still has the highest upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom