Washington out at Penn State | The Boneyard

Washington out at Penn State

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This was the last year of her contract. Almost no way they would keep her after missing the NCAA tournament 5 seasons in a row (I believe).

Reaction Score
First P5 to fall. Who will be next?

Wake, Duke, GT?
Kan, Okla, OklaSt?
Vandy, Bama, LSU, Tenn?

Reaction Score
PSU has hired a "Search Firm" to recommend a replacement. The AD is one of the highest paid in the nation. Is this a function that most ADs farm out??

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
First P5 to fall. Who will be next?

Wake, Duke, GT?
Kan, Okla, OklaSt?
Vandy, Bama, LSU, Tenn?

As we've said in the past, since WCBB is not bringing in a whole lot of $$$, it's best to follow the money. Or in this case, the length of the contract and/or terms of the buyout.

Possible mitigating factors: a bizzare event and./or (relatively) new athletic director who wants to put his/her mark on the department, i.e.:
- Obvious bizzare situation at Georgia Tech;
- New AD at Wake (but the team that has a lot of injuries and he''s got to deal with men's team and very high-profile coach, Danny Manning.); and,
- Extension but relatively inexpensive buyout at LSU.

My memory says Duke extension for Coach P (Triad?) is through '20-'21 and would have to think the initial Vandy contract for Steph White is pretty large and long (even though that's one that just does not like it's going anywhere).

If not done earlier, I'll check on some of these other schools once the conference championships are over and/or down to the title game. Would guess some of these moves will start taking place shortly.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
PSU has hired a "Search Firm" to recommend a replacement. The AD is one of the highest paid in the nation. Is this a function that most ADs farm out??
Schools do this a lot. Maybe the AD should pay the search firm fee out of his salary. There seems to be no end to how much money schools waste on sports, all the while raising tuition and fees. I enjoy college sports, and realize that sports are a loss leader at most schools. I can willingly accept subsidized athletics, but far too much is misspent. :(

Reaction Score
Schools do this a lot. Maybe the AD should pay the search firm fee out of his salary. There seems to be no end to how much money schools waste on sports, all the while raising tuition and fees. I enjoy college sports, and realize that sports are a loss leader at most schools. I can willingly accept subsidized athletics, but far too much is misspent. :(

It is extremely unlikely the search firm is going to "recommend a replacement". What they will do is identify qualified candidates who are interested. Then the AD will take the next step.

One big reason for using a search firm is that AD's are often reluctant to ask permission to talk to dozens of coaches who are under contract when they have no idea if there might be interest. Using an intermediary, i.e. the search firm, insulates the AD. The search firm will reach out to either the coach or, more likely, an agent of the coach to see if there is interest. If there is, then the AD can either ask permission to speak to that coach or have further discussions with the intermediary.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
It is extremely unlikely the search firm is going to "recommend a replacement". What they will do is identify qualified candidates who are interested. Then the AD will take the next step.

One big reason for using a search firm is that AD's are often reluctant to ask permission to talk to dozens of coaches who are under contract when they have no idea if there might be interest. Using an intermediary, i.e. the search firm, insulates the AD. The search firm will reach out to either the coach or, more likely, an agent of the coach to see if there is interest. If there is, then the AD can either ask permission to speak to that coach or have further discussions with the intermediary.
I am sure you are right about all that. But it is still costly. Take out an ad saying women's basketball coach wanted and then your "reluctant" AD will remain "insulated". Poor boy or girl! ;) This is not some public company where the big boss has to keep up appearances. Most of these places are state schools and taxpayers might want a less "insulated" employee to step up and do their job.

Reaction Score
I am sure you are right about all that. But it is still costly. Take out an ad saying women's basketball coach wanted and then your "reluctant" AD will remain "insulated". Poor boy or girl! ;) This is not some public company where the big boss has to keep up appearances. Most of these places are state schools and taxpayers might want a less "insulated" employee to step up and do their job.

BAMA: Very well said as always. SIGNED: A Tax Payer

Reaction Score

If they take out an ad, they will get no responses from coaches at all - at least those who still have jobs. No coach is going to piss off is administration and his fans by putting his name out their for other jobs. It has to be done quietly and privately - hence the use of search firms. Yes, it may be costly - but screwing up in hiring someone for a $1 Million+ commitment is even more costly. Some AD's have enough contacts and have some connected assistants to do it themselves - but many do not.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
If they take out an ad, they will get no responses from coaches at all - at least those who still have jobs. No coach is going to piss off is administration and his fans by putting his name out their for other jobs. It has to be done quietly and privately - hence the use of search firms. Yes, it may be costly - but screwing up in hiring someone for a $1 Million+ commitment is even more costly. Some AD's have enough contacts and have some connected assistants to do it themselves - but many do not.
I completely understand the reality of today's college sports milieu. I just think it is wasteful. Why pay out a million dollar contract to a coach whose program will be a money loser? The programs do not support themselves. Everyone gets rich but the people who must pay for these schools to exist. And they are first and foremost schools. The coaches, the professional leagues that use schools as training grounds, the broadcasters, the shoe and clothing companies reap benefits while the tuition goes up for the regular students. I like college sports, but they are being manipulated into becoming professional playgrounds. They just should not spend money they do not earn. And a great place for Penn State to start is now. The once great reputation of that institution was destroyed by ADs, presidents, and coaches and alumni who wanted more,more, more money. The cost to the people of Pennsylvania of such money grubbing policies has been immeasurable.

Reaction Score
I completely understand the reality of today's college sports milieu. I just think it is wasteful. Why pay out a million dollar contract to a coach whose program will be a money loser? The programs do not support themselves. Everyone gets rich but the people who must pay for these schools to exist. And they are first and foremost schools. The coaches, the professional leagues that use schools as training grounds, the broadcasters, the shoe and clothing companies reap benefits while the tuition goes up for the regular students. I like college sports, but they are being manipulated into becoming professional playgrounds. They just should not spend money they do not earn. And a great place for Penn State to start is now. The once great reputation of that institution was destroyed by ADs, presidents, and coaches and alumni who wanted more,more, more money. The cost to the people of Pennsylvania of such money grubbing policies has been immeasurable.
Money grubbing wasn’t the main problem at Penn State that led to the immeasurable costs.

There are ways in which big time athletics and its supporters undercount the costs to the general university budgets, but it’s still true that the cost of athletics at places like Penn State is largely paid for by income streams that are distinct from tuition, fees, and other things on the academic side.

I suspect that search firms are also used to insulate ADs from big money donors with inflated opinions about their knowledge of the relevant sport: The rich versions of the VolNation threads about who they could hire after Holly.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Money grubbing wasn’t the main problem at Penn State that led to the immeasurable costs.

There are ways in which big time athletics and its supporters undercount the costs to the general university budgets, but it’s still true that the cost of athletics at places like Penn State is largely paid for by income streams that are distinct from tuition, fees, and other things on the academic side.

I suspect that search firms are also used to insulate ADs from big money donors with inflated opinions about their knowledge of the relevant sport: The rich versions of the VolNation threads about who they could hire after Holly.
I know the initial problem was much more insidious than money. But they had to cover it up to keep the cash flowing and their "reputations" intact. And it just kept growing like a cancerous tumor.

Reaction Score
I run a search firm. Folks (hiring authority or potential candidates) can say things to me that they would be uncomfortable saying directly to principals. As a result, a search firm can / should develop interest with folks one could never approach directly. Similarly, any firm worth it's salt can save time by eliminate "window shoppers" or those who want to be considered for the sole purpose of leveraging their current employer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom