Washington DC | The Boneyard

Washington DC

Reaction Score
Posting here before it gets moved to Travel

I’ve never been. Convention at the Walter Washington Center. Won’t have a car so prefer one solid neighborhood but wouldn’t mind checking out public transit. Gonna be there November 17 evening and leaving the 20th or 21st.

I’m 30, super in to craft beer and foodie spots. Down for a solid museum or two; most of my day time will be taken up by the convention though.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Highly recommend Bullfrog Bagels for breakfast sandwiches. It’s a chain.

For touristy things, the most worthwhile things IMO are probably walking through the National Mall and then Air and Space museum.

The are so many good bars and restaurants you can’t really go wrong. Pick a spot with 4.5 stars+ on Google reviews

One cool unique spot is The Roost near Capitol Hill. A bunch of different vendors you can order from at one location.
Also North Italia (also a chain owned by the Cheesecake Factory I believe) has realllly good Italian. Some of the best chicken parm I’ve had.

Very easy and cheap to get around on the Metro.

Reaction Score
Really easy to get around on the metro. Would recommend that, and you’re right near the mount Vernon (yellow/green) and Chinatown (red) stations

If you’re into craft beer, would recommend going up to NoMa - sort of a reclaimed industrial neighborhood with a lot of breweries.

If you’re a foodie, then you’ll probably want to venture more over toward Logan and Dupont circles. Both have a ton of foodie type restaurants, most with international flairs. Favorites of mine are Swahili Village, Ala, and Al Volo (a bit off the beaten path up in Adams Morgan, but a really cool neighborhood and some of the best pasta I’ve ever had - and that’s coming from a CT native)

You’re already in a pretty central spot at the convention center. Can easily get anywhere in the city from there on the yellow/green and red lines

I live in the city so any questions just PM me.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Al Volo (a bit off the beaten path up in Adams Morgan, but a really cool neighborhood and some of the best pasta I’ve ever had - and that’s coming from a CT native)
One of our daughters lives in DC and she and we really like the Adams Morgan neighborhood. Have you been to Tail Up Goat or Elle? We keep meaning to get to both of them when we visit but it hasn't worked out yet.

Reaction Score
14th street from U to Rhode Island for nightlife and restaurants. Right Proper and Atlas for breweries. The new Wharf district is fantastic but a bit of a trek from convention center.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
One of our daughters lives in DC and she and we really like the Adams Morgan neighborhood. Have you been to Tail Up Goat or Elle? We keep meaning to get to both of them when we visit but it hasn't worked out yet.
Adams Morgan used to be our regular go-to for Ethiopian and other cuisines we can't get here in Pgh, but last visit it simply didn't seem like the AM we remembered. Seems the action and really interesting food has moved to Logan Circle, Shaw and U Street.

Reaction Score
I’d also recommend the spy museum if you’re looking for something touristy. Very cool experience.

DC Metro is great. Being from Fairfield County NYC will always be “the city” to me, but the DC Metro blows the NYC subway out of the water.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
The convention center is right in the middle of a bunch of cool areas. Chinatown is right there, great dinner spots that are walkable near DuPont and Logan Circles, the National Mall and museums are close by too.

But if you're into craft beer, definitely make your way through NoMa, Union Market and Ivy City. Red Bear, Other Half and Atlas breweries are all great.

Reaction Score
I live in DC. Head over to Union Market in NE (DC's version of Quincy market). Adams Morgan, I agree with Tail up Goat as previously mentioned. The National Mall is where you can see all the touristy stuff. I suggest you grab a city bike or scooter so you can cover more ground without wearing yourself down. 14th Street is a popular area but it caters to the pretentious 25-year-old demographic that wants to post everything on Instagram. However, I do highly recommend Maydan (Michelin Star rated).

The craft brew scene here is growing. Too many to label, but check out the City State Brewery in Brookland and the Dew Drop Inn right up the road. Both have laid-back settings. If you are near the convention center it is worth walking over to Blagden Alley. Some decent restaurants.

The Wharf on the Southwest waterfront and Navy Yard are newer growing areas. Both are nice to look at but they are really fabricated neighborhoods.

17th street, near Dupont Circle, is a local's neighborhood with some hidden gem restaurants (Astoria DC). Same for Columbia Heights (Bad Saint).

Georgetown and Capitol Hill (Eastern Market area) are nice, not as popular as they once were since the city started to expand east. Try to stay out of Chinatown near the basketball/hockey arena, it is a total tourist trap and everything around there caters to the downtown office crowd.

DC is a very pedestrian-friendly city and quite small. It's easy to get around by metro, bike, scooter, or even by walking. You will be surprised how close the neighborhoods are to each other.

Enjoy

Reaction Score
I was just down there for the Aug 28 Voting Rights rally/March. We stayed in NE at F street and 4th at an Airbnb. Nice area, we wanted to go to Eastern Market but ran out of time. Wicked hot, easy to duck into free air-conditioned museums to cool off. Skip “H” street, didn’t like the vibe, too many panhandlers and cheap bars.

Reaction Score
A place I like is Bardo brewing right on the Potomac. Its a brewery entirely outside. Restrooms are boxcars. Also in Alexandria head down to the water. Lots of places to try. Filomena in DC is good Italian.

Reaction Score
Long time resident of the National Capitol Region (NCR). If you like ”beer gardens” and are near the Convention Center (CC), Dacha Beer Garden is about 4 blocks north. Go about 4 more blocks northwest and you run into Electric Cool-Aid. Go a little farther north and you will come to Petworth, which has Midlands Beer Garden, Hook Hall and St. Vincent Wine, of which, the latter is modeled after the garden area at Hotel Saint Vincent in New Orleans. Hi-lawn and H Street Country Club are decent spots in the newly gentrified H Street area among a bunch of other bars and restaurants around there, but that is due east of the CC. The Navy Yard and the Wharf are a good time, but are full of tourists. However, on a nice day, also full of hot girls drinking outside. The age range skews older in DC, 30-50+.

If you want to get a little slice of CT in the NCR, check out the new Colony Grill location (original location in Stamford, CT) in the Clarendon area of Arlington, VA, just over the bridge and easily accessible from the DC metro train. Lot of CT folks hang out there (met a few when I have been there) and I plan on watching games there this fall. There are 15-20 bars and restaurants within walking distance of the Grill, and on the right night, that’s where the best looking girls in your age range (25-25) will be.

As far as restaurants go, I’m partial to BBQ so you have the Federalist Pig in DC and Texas Jacks in Arlington, and host of others. There are a ton of good restaurants though, so not easy to pick anything.

Reaction Score
Long time resident of the National Capitol Region (NCR). If you like ”beer gardens” and are near the Convention Center (CC), Dacha Beer Garden is about 4 blocks north. Go about 4 more blocks northwest and you run into Electric Cool-Aid. Go a little farther north and you will come to Petworth, which has Midlands Beer Garden, Hook Hall and St. Vincent Wine, of which, the latter is modeled after the garden area at Hotel Saint Vincent in New Orleans. Hi-lawn and H Street Country Club are decent spots in the newly gentrified H Street area among a bunch of other bars and restaurants around there, but that is due east of the CC. The Navy Yard and the Wharf are a good time, but are full of tourists. However, on a nice day, also full of hot girls drinking outside. The age range skews older in DC, 30-50+.

If you want to get a little slice of CT in the NCR, check out the new Colony Grill location (original location in Stamford, CT) in the Clarendon area of Arlington, VA, just over the bridge and easily accessible from the DC metro train. Lot of CT folks hang out there (met a few when I have been there) and I plan on watching games there this fall. There are 15-20 bars and restaurants within walking distance of the Grill, and on the right night, that’s where the best looking girls in your age range (25-25) will be.

As far as restaurants go, I’m partial to BBQ so you have the Federalist Pig in DC and Texas Jacks in Arlington, and host of others. There are a ton of good restaurants though, so not easy to pick anything.
Awesome stuff. Little drags like you described from CC to Petworth is exactly what I love to do. I’ll be hitting you and probably @UCFan1513 up over PM.

Thanks already everyone

Reaction Score

Colony Grill in Clarendon? Really? have you been there? Pizza the same? If so I will be there pronto (Centreville)

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Posting here before it gets moved to Travel

I’ve never been. Convention at the Walter Washington Center. Won’t have a car so prefer one solid neighborhood but wouldn’t mind checking out public transit. Gonna be there November 17 evening and leaving the 20th or 21st.

I’m 30, super in to craft beer and foodie spots. Down for a solid museum or two; most of my day time will be taken up by the convention though.
You're in museum heaven down there. The Smithsonian Museums are all free admission. Hit up your area of interest - natural history, air and space, national gallery of art, american history museum, the national archives. The arboretum and the national portrait gallery are great for short visits. Or walk through the zoo, also free. (Not sure if the museums are doing timed passes or the like due to pandemic, you should look into that.)

Reaction Score
Colony Grill in Clarendon? Really? have you been there? Pizza the same? If so I will be there pronto (Centreville)
Not to hijack this thread, but yes, the Arlington Colony Grill sausage and hot oil pizza is good if you eat it fresh and decent if you take it home, but definitely not as good. Nice bar area, good beer selection, a bunch of TVs, and downtown Clarendon-slick. It’s the same group of owners as the ones in CT.

Reaction Score

Living in Arlington (VA Square) currently and DC area the last couple of years, finding a good place to watch UConn games has always been something on my mind. I really like the Colony idea (been to the Norwalk location a bunch) so perhaps I’ll see you there for a game some time!

Reaction Score
Not to hijack this thread, but yes, the Arlington Colony Grill sausage and hot oil pizza is good if you eat it fresh and decent if you take it home, but definitely not as good. Nice bar area, good beer selection, a bunch of TVs, and downtown Clarendon-slick. It’s the same group of owners as the ones in CT.

Not familiar with this Hot Oil stuff? I used to go to the Stamford Colony in the late 70's through 87 then moved to VA. Used to get a sausage and onion pizza. My all time favorite. It was a bit greasy. Fold it and oil would drip off. Never heard of adding Hot Oil?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not familiar with this Hot Oil stuff? I used to go to the Stamford Colony in the late 70's through 87 then moved to VA. Used to get a sausage and onion pizza. My all time favorite. It was a bit greasy. Fold it and oil would drip off. Never heard of adding Hot Oil?
The hot oil pizza with stingers (roasted serrano peppers) was probably around by '87. I know it was on the menu when both Fitz and Skeets were still there.

The locals will likely disagree, but for RTW, I'll add the one really touristy food thing you might consider is Ben's Chili Bowl, if you're near the U street location. Lots of history there. Not the greatest chili, but it's kinda like having to go the Varsity in Atlanta, or McSorley's in NYC, just to say you've been there. Like Pope Francis did.

Reaction Score
Living in Arlington (VA Square) currently and DC area the last couple of years, finding a good place to watch UConn games has always been something on my mind. I really like the Colony idea (been to the Norwalk location a bunch) so perhaps I’ll see you there for a game some time!
I guess I will see what it’s like during games. I’ve never actually been there for a UConn game. Just hoping/assuming it’s good because I have met CT folks there during the off-season. It’s a good atmosphere for a game, so what’s the worst that could happen? Drink beer, watch game, have fun.

Reaction Score
The hot oil pizza with stingers (roasted serrano peppers) was probably around by '87. I know it was on the menu when both Fitz and Skeets were still there.

The locals will likely disagree, but for RTW, I'll add the one really touristy food thing you might consider is Ben's Chili Bowl, if you're near the U street location. Lots of history there. Not the greatest chili, but it's kinda like having to go the Varsity in Atlanta, or McSorley's in NYC, just to say you've been there. Like Pope Francis did.
Yes, Ben’s is good and would be on your drag north. And a bonus for you if you like skunk weed, since you will get a whiff of it on U Street.

Reaction Score
I went to DC on a high school trip for George W’s second inauguration in January 2005. Since it was a school trip, we hit all the monuments and museums. Arlington Cemetery was cool, but everyone was miserable since we didnt know they were calling for like 6 inches of snow that day, so nobody was prepared.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
I lived in DC a decade ago and it's changed a lot since I lived there. But I have two timeless recommendations.
  1. The Einstein Memorial at 22nd and Constitution. Most locals don't know about it but it's a hidden gem. It's a bronze statue with Einsteins head on a child's body that's just off the national mall. On the floor there's a celestial map. If you stand right in the middle and talk to Einstein, your voice will reverberate back to you. The Einstein Memorial
  2. The National Portrait Gallery. It's a free Smithsonian (unlike the Spy museum for example) and both the permanent and temporary exhibitions are great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom