Was this the most painful postseason loss for us? | The Boneyard

Was this the most painful postseason loss for us?

Reaction Score
The only one that I can think of that can compare is 2001 to Notre Dame. But even than with Diana and the TASS force coming back and Ruth Riley, Niele Ivey, Alicia Ratay graduating, I felt very good we had the trajectory to win the next coming year and year (s).

But this one? It stings! I feel ND should not have been better than us this year. But they were. And they will be even better next year.

2017 MSU was tough but I felt easy to get over because of the "it was someone elses time" narrative. 2012 ND stunk because we just needed to grab a rebound to win. But was anybody beating Baylor?

So yeah. This one sucks. Probably the worst I've felt after a postseason loss.

Reaction Score
I've only been following the team in earnest since 2015. But for me, this is way tougher than the last year's loss. That's because this time we had all the talent necessary, and had made many good adjustments following what happened last year. There's also the way we held a "comfortable" lead late into the game. And I still don't believe that any of the other three teams in the Final Four are objectively or subjectively as good as we are.

Last year, I knew in my heart that we were vulnerable. But this year, I just didn't see this coming. I felt we were a lock to win it all, and I'm pretty sure I'll forever consider it just a dreadful loss for the team.

Of course, hindsight does bring some visibility into what he underlying issues were. And now I feel like plugging all the gaps for next year will be like playing a game of whack-a-mole, what with Gabby leaving and the struggles Geno had in developing the underclassmen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey, last year. No contest. There was the unfolding miracle of an undefeated season with a possible title and ongoing winning streak that very well likely may never, ever, be broken. That, in the context of the departure of three all Americans, leaving an unproven core, consisting of two sophomores, to juniors, and a senior. Nobody gave UConn much of a chance, much less believed that they would go undefeated. And yet, we stood at the very threshold of an impossible dream.

This year, without the pressure of the winning streak, it was more about getting through the season, watching the team come together for a strong run at a title. But you know, I never felt that this team was destined like the one last year. In fact, I thought (but did not really discuss too much) that the competition this year was so much tougher than last year’s going deep into the tournament. On any given night, I believe Louisville, Mississippi state, Notre Dame, Oregon, and (of course) Baylor could beat us. Really. All it takes is a night where a very good team plays well, drop some shots, while we have an off night shooting, or someone gets into foul trouble, or a player comes up hobbling, and you are looking at the possibility of a loss. I don’t care how well-trained our players are or the disparity in talent. It is just impossible to expect to win every single time without ever losing. Geno has said this multiple times. Sometimes, it seems difficult for UConn fans to appreciate that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. 2001 vs Notre Dame.
2. 2011 vs Notre Dame
3. 1996 vs Tennessee
4. 1997 vs Tennessee
5. 2008 vs Stanford

Reaction Score
I almost called out from work today, but I went and after a bit I was able to smile and laugh and have a good day. Life goes on. But I too thought they were a lock, especially with all the prolific scorers on the team. I feel cheated by ND as they are always sly in the way they hack away--and every year they do--and by the refs who were very one-sided. I feel very sorry for Geno as I think all this is really beginning to wear on him. If I were him, I would probably be considering retirement. It really stinks that he can't win when he wins--because critics say there is no competition--and he can't win by losing--then they say he was never that good anyway. It doesn't seem like he is enjoying this anymore. His body language was pretty negative for most of the game. Even if he doesn't retire after this, I suspect the end is coming soon, which in itself is pretty sad. To answer the question, this may be the worst because it seemed so likely and because all that I have loved about watching UConn women's basketball for so many years may be over soon.

Reaction Score
I would say this one for a couple of reasons:
1). ND
2). We were huge favorites - 14 points at gametime I believe.
3). We seemed to have the game won (or at least the opportunity to win it) a few times, but just couldnt do it. Would rather get blown out than lose like that.

Reaction Score
I almost called out from work today, but I went and after a bit I was able to smile and laugh and have a good day. Life goes on. But I too thought they were a lock, especially with all the prolific scorers on the team. I feel cheated by ND as they are always sly in the way they hack away--and every year they do--and by the refs who were very one-sided. I feel very sorry for Geno as I think all this is really beginning to wear on him. If I were him, I would probably be considering retirement. It really stinks that he can't win when he wins--because critics say there is no competition--and he can't win by losing--then they say he was never that good anyway. It doesn't seem like he is enjoying this anymore. His body language was pretty negative for most of the game. Even if he doesn't retire after this, I suspect the end is coming soon, which in itself is pretty sad. To answer the question, this may be the worst because it seemed so likely and because all that I have loved about watching UConn women's basketball for so many years may be over soon.
Agree with all of this!

I had posted some very direct observations about Geno in the "We may never win again" thread. Needless to say, it didn't go over very well. But I too think that last night's loss will be something a turning point for him. He'll either buckle down and start getting it done again, or he may well decide that the effort level and personal sacrifices needed to do that are just not worth it anymore. But I'd be surprised if he decides to just keep muddling through, which is kind of the impression I've had of his approach these past two seasons.

He was ultra determined to ensure the Big 3 got their 4 national championships. Last year he seemed more inclined to let the team figure it out for themselves, knowing that a national championship for another team would be good for the game, and knowing that the roster that he'd be returning would position the team extremely well for number 12.

This year he did step it up a notch. But I also sensed the wear you spoke of, and feel like it ultimately got in the way. It will be interesting to see what happens from here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with all of this!

I had posted some very direct observations about Geno in the "We may never win again" thread. Needless to say, it didn't go over very well. But I too think that last night's loss will be something a turning point for him. He'll either buckle down and start getting it done again, or he may well decide that the effort level and personal sacrifices needed to do that are just not worth it anymore. But I'd be surprised if he decides to just keep muddling through, which is kind of the impression I've had of his approach these past two seasons.

He was ultra determined to ensure the Big 3 got their 4 national championships. Last year he seemed more inclined to let the team figure it out for themselves, knowing that a national championship for another team would be good for the game, and knowing that the roster that he'd be returning would position the team extremely well for number 12.

This year he did step it up a notch. But I also sensed the wear you spoke of, and feel like it ultimately got in the way. It will be interesting to see what happens from here.
I hate to say this but you are down right delusional with this post. Or you are just trolling.
Geno has to buckle down and start getting it done again? :rolleyes:
Muddling through? :rolleyes:
10 Final Fours in a row!! 4 championships in a row just 2 years ago!! :confused: :mad:
Head bang Head bang Head bang Head bang Head bang

Reaction Score
2001. No way that team should have lost. DT would turn out to be an all time great, but that night she shot us out of the FF.

Reaction Score
I've only been an avid fan since the 10-11 season and this year hurt the most. Last year I felt we were playing with house money and we always seemed vulnerable to a great team that was playing well. But this year we had all the pieces and the loss did get to me. I worry about Geno. Let's face it. He's way overweight, he moves slowly and he doesn't seem to have his exuberance. In one of the news articles he spoke of all the pills he takes. Being the coach at UConn is extremely stressful and I hope the stress and constant traveling don't impact his health. That being said we have, perhaps a generational player in Christin Williams coming next year, and I think UConn will be a number 1 seed for many years to come.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this but you are down right delusional with this post. Or you are just trolling.
Geno has to buckle down and start getting it done again? :rolleyes:
Muddling through? :rolleyes:
10 Final Fours in a row!! 4 championships in a row just 2 years ago!! :confused: :mad:
Head bang Head bang Head bang Head bang Head bang
And with that post, I think we know who the real troll is, don't we HuskyBandDad?

I'm just trying to make some some reasoned points that I've noticed some changes in the head coach's demeanor/outlook since 2015-16. I'm certainly not trying to condemn the man. Maybe you don't agree? Then make your case if you like, but no need to get personal with me.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I share the concerns about Geno and his health. And I've been concerned that his frustration will cause him to give it up sooner than we fans would like. I'm comforted by knowing that he has been out and about watching players. And I remember how Shea said, maybe two years ago, that he would coach till he fell over.

Reaction Score
97 Tennessee - Holdsclaw and co. were playing inspired BB in the NCAA tournament after those 10 regular season losses. It pained me to see Wolters and Berube sobbing on the bench as their UCONN careers and undefeated season came to screeching halt

99 Iowa State - The 3's just started falling with no abandon late in that second half for the Hawkeyes and UCONN just couldn't counter. A game they shouldn't have had lost

01 Notre Dame - ND started the second half on fire and just like that it all fell apart for UCONN. That double digit halftime lead didn't mean anything. Riley, Ivey, Siemon, Ratay, and Haney were just better a cohesive unit that season compared to what we were returning from the year before and adding Diana. (I still feel to this day even if Ralph and Abrosimova had been healthy it wouldn't have had made a difference - no offense but they both weren't the same players they were in 2000)

2011 Notre Dame - Something about playing Notre Dame a fourth time during the season and in the final four just worried me because something just had to give. Of course there was Maya but in the previous three games that season, another starter was instrumental: Faris saved us in South Bend, Hartley went lights out at Gampel, and Dolson dominated the paint in the BE tournament final. I was hoping that this time it would be Hayes' turn to play sidekick but end of story it just didn't happen and Maya ended up not finishing on top which I felt she so deserved (Of course UCONN would turn the exact same tables on Diggins two seasons later which was satisfying for me to see)

2018 Notre Dame - I already discussed this in another thread but I'll go out on a limb and say that THIS one hurts the most in comparison to the other four I mentioned. No detailed explanation really needed

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
OT: There has been a lot of talk about talent disparity and the 14 point line.

I think that such talk is bogus because a veritable superstar emerged from under the radar screen last night (even the ND radar screen).
Shooting 10 for 15 / 10 of 11 pf / 11 boards...give me a break

We're going to have to deal with this little monster for 2 more years and she's not going away.

Reaction Score
And with that post, I think we know who the real troll is, don't we HuskyBandDad?

I'm just trying to make some some reasoned points that I've noticed some changes in the head coach's demeanor/outlook since 2015-16. I'm certainly not trying to condemn the man. Maybe you don't agree? Then make your case if you like, but no need to get personal with me.
Your expectations seem to be completely unrealistic. Some posters are down right delusional.
You are the one who got personal in your post about someone, Geno, you do not know personally.
You said "muddling through" and "Geno has to buckle down and start getting it done again". You really think that is what he is doing?
Did you say this when they didn't win before Stewie and group won 4 in a row? Or when Maya only one 2 championships?
I have no problem with anyone who wants to question his in game strategy. He is not perfect.
He has said it himself that he would change a certain play called if he could. Last year against Miss ST I am sure would be one.
Do you watch Geno's TV show on SNY? Great insight into the man and how he ticks.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...99 Iowa State - The 3's just started falling with no abandon late in that second half for the Hawkeyes...

University of Iowa = Hawkeyes
Iowa State University = Cyclones

Reaction Score
This ranks up there but there have been others that were more painful.

Reaction Score
On its own, this one is up there.

Placed in the context of last year, it's #1 and I'm not sure there's a close second.

Reaction Score
It's especially painful because we are beginning to see the end of the Auriemma era. The high school recruiting class of 2020 will be the last one that can expect to be coached by Coach Geno (And CD) for all four years, assuming that he retires at age 70. That means that the freshman class that is supposed to come in and help ONO and CW when they're seniors might not be coming in. That class might just decide that it's time to go with a young coach that will be there for their entire tenure.

And what happens if Coach Geno begins to see that recruiting is more difficult in the couple of years leading up to his possible retirement date? Will he decide to leave earlier than expected, and hand the reins over to a new coaching generation?

We're seeing other schools come up with great recruiting classes, with better and better shots at winning the NC.

Certainly, there is more uncertainty for Connecticut going forward from this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom