Was this one of Connecticut's finest wins? | The Boneyard

Was this one of Connecticut's finest wins?

Reaction Score
There are national championships, of course. And there are great wins. But this one strikes me as a great win in a game they weren't supposed to win. They'd lost three players from the FF team that ND had defeated last year, while ND had all of their important players back. Connecticut had one kid off the bench, and a freshman at that, while ND had a slew of great recruits on their bench.

Could this be one of Coach Geno's finest wins in games that were important, but which he wasn't expected to win? There was the win over Tennessee in their first matchup when Tennessee was ranked #1.

Others? Usually, Connecticut goes in favored, and wins. But to be considered the underdog, and on an away court?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No. In December of 2012 UCONN went into to #1 Stanford and curbed stomped the Number 1 team 61-35. That's right held the #1 team in the country to 35 points. BTW the game was not as close as the score would indicate.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No. In December of 2012 UCONN went into to #1 Stanford and curbed stomped the Number 1 team 61-35. That's right held the #1 team in the country to 35 points. BTW the game was not as close as the score would indicate.

Got to replay it immediately.

Reaction Score
I still think the 2013 National Semi against ND was one of the finest. They lost to them 3 times in the regular season, then came through on the big stage to put them away in close but in some ways dominating performance.

That was Stewie's freshman year, right? When she came out of her cocoon right before the NCAA's?

The one thing I would say is that we had Stewie, arguably one of the three greatest ever to play for UConn. And she went on to lead Connecticut to another three NC's before she graduated. Yes, that win was amazing, and it certainly ranks up there with greatest unexpected wins. Have to give you that. But wonder whether, with Stewie, we...

Well, yes, you have a point. Good one!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That was Stewie's freshman year, right? When she came out of her cocoon right before the NCAA's?

The one thing I would say is that we had Stewie, arguably one of the three greatest ever to play for UConn. And she went on to lead Connecticut to another three NC's before she graduated. Yes, that win was amazing, and it certainly ranks up there with greatest unexpected wins. Have to give you that. But wonder whether, with Stewie, we...

Well, yes, you have a point. Good one!

Great win yes. Unexpected? Not really. At worst 50-50 and since it is hard to sweep a series and some of our losses were almost mind-numbingly bizarre. I think UConn was thought of as a slight favorite.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Great win yes. Unexpected? Not really. At worst 50-50 and since it is hard to sweep a series and some of our losses were almost mind-numbingly bizarre. I think UConn was thought of as a slight favorite.

The thread is about "finest" wins, not necessarily "unexpected." Personally I found it one of the most satisfying wins and even after watching it many times, I still enjoy watching it. I just wish it was HD quality. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The thread is about "finest" wins, not necessarily "unexpected." Personally I found it one of the most satisfying wins and even after watching it many times, I still enjoy watching it. I just wish it was HD quality. :)

I was using the language of Fairfield Fan who said "greatest unexpected wins ". I was arguing otherwise only to this specific language.

Reaction Score
It was certainly satisfying to punch them back right after last spring's disappointment, and prevent the re-emergence of the "ND has UConn's number" narrative in convincing fashion.

Still, the final say is going to come on the big stage in April, where this group of players -- unlike ND's -- certainly has something to prove.

Reaction Score
It was a steady, solid all-round performance. What I loved, is that no one on UConn blinked. Not once, not for an instant. No flinching, no flailing and no fear. They remained composed and comitted from start to finish. Each in their own way, they contributed in different ways and in concert they were a credit to themselves, their coaches and their school. Is it a great win? Maybe, it was a very satisfying win for sure. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
It was a steady, solid all-round performance. What I loved, is that no one on UConn blinked. Not once, not for an instant. No flinching, no flailing and no fear. They remained composed and comitted from start to finish. Each in their own way, they contributed in different ways and in concert they were a credit to themselves, their coaches and their school. Is it a great win? Maybe, it was a very satisfying win for sure. Go Huskies!
It is easier not to blink, flinch or fear when one is leading. :)

Reaction Score
I don't know if it would rank in the top 5, but it was probably the best I've seen in at least a couple of years.

Reaction Score

Nice take here....The electricity in the building was palpable on the screen. The packed house, the lights down low and most of the 9,000 plus fans waving green light thingies pregame. The camera pans the UConn bench and I commented these girls have ice in their veins. Smiles not looking fake at all and only light banter. The focus in the environment was amazing.
My thoughts later were on Geno's possible closing comment before going out on the court might have been, "go out there and take care of business". And they did just that. ;)

As for this being one of their finest wins, that's a tough one depending on where you draw the line. #1 playing #2 this early in the season may not let it fall into that category. As stated above though satisfying for sure...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm going to have to watch the replay on that game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It is easier not to blink, flinch or fear when one is leading. :)
I have seen a number of teams blink, flinch, and show fear when leading when the opponent was rallying and making a big comeback. When the game got close and the crowd got louder it did not seem to bother UConn.

Reaction Score
I have seen a number of teams blink, flinch, and show fear when leading when the opponent was rallying and making a big comeback. When the game got close and the crowd got louder it did not seem to bother UConn.
Ruth Riley broke my heart.

Reaction Score

The question posed was “one of”. Hard not to say “yes”.

Reaction Score
Kara Lawson had one of her worst games ever, dominating the mike while ignoring the drama that was happening on the court at the time. However, her point about Williams being the best player on the court as a Freshman in such a big game was solid. Also, UConn won this game with Napheesa Collier on the bench. Number three, the three youngest players scored 46 of the team’s first 72 points, which is ridiculous. Number four, they won without Lou scoring a point in the first half. Yes Virginia, this was one of UConn’s finest wins!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Sorry, I can't possibly differentiate between the hundreds of the "finest wins". That list is far too long, starting with the Final Four and National Championship in 1995 and still counting

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Toss in this question: For a regular season game....against a high quality opponent [toss in on the road], was Christyn's performance the best game for a frosh...ever?

Maybe my outright joy for her and the team is shoving me to hyperbole?

Reaction Score
Perhaps I shouldn't admit the pleasure I took in UConn exposing the character of several Notre Dame stars. I imagine Muffet with make damn sure they never do that again in ND uniform. Hangdog looks, challenging opponent's coach. Several who could not lose with grace.

What a great Sunday! Thank you.

Reaction Score
Watershed moment, in my estimation, for the team. And for me. I'm not proud to admit that I found myself in unfamiliar fair-weather-fan territory. Until this game. Now I'm all in.

Reaction Score
Toss in this question: For a regular season game....against a high quality opponent [toss in on the road], was Christyn's performance the best game for a frosh...ever?

Maybe my outright joy for her and the team is shoving me to hyperbole?

Certainly. But Crystal Dangerfield's big game against Florida State her freshman year was pretty awesome as well (have I got the opponent right?).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom