Was the First Half Tonight one of the Best? | The Boneyard

Was the First Half Tonight one of the Best?

Reaction Score
I can't remember a better first half.
53-24 against the defending national champion, on the road, loud full house...
Number 7 ranked team, with their AA Wilson healthy
Truly amazing performance, our young ladies are truly remarkable..

Reaction Score
I think in the third qtr, they we over passing the ball...and passing up 'Looks" they would normally take.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think in the third qtr, they we over passing the ball...and passing up 'Looks" they would normally take.
They also missed a lot of open looks. Yet, I'm gonna rewatch that first half a lot this week.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The reason I say no is:

-They really were not all that competitive
-They don't play much D
-They get discouraged quickly
-By Dawn's own admission in her presser, she doesn't like to have to play half-court "O"
The second half was more or less garbage time and despite our both taking a little off the gas and missing shots...(layups by god), they never even mustered a serious charge.

So, as wonderful a win as it was, as much fun to watch as it was, it doesn't qualify as one of our best half's.
It was David and Goliath (in reverse).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That 1st half was beautiful basketball. I was surprised when they said they shot only 50-something %. Seemed like it was higher. And really, it wasn't that close. USC had some lucky bounces and calls to get the points they got.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
2016 mississippi state 1st half imo the best.
You nailed it. Afterwards, Vic Schaefer made his great “piranhas on a roast” quote to describe what it was like to play UConn.

The one difference was that no one expected MSU to challenge UConn in the Regionals in Bridgeport that day, while many of us believed that last night’s game before 18,000 fans in Columbia would be a battle.

So when you add an away game vs last year’s National Champion, against a very good team with a NPOY candidate, the 1st half last night was magnificent.

Reaction Score
Still think Baylor, Miss St, and ND will be the biggest obstacles to #12. While Wilson was contained last night, the Cox-Brown combo will be a lot harder to shut down. And they showed a picture McCowan on ESPN during the game and she looked scary and mean. ND is playing great and with a lot of confidence, so they will be a tough out in the tourney as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The chemistry and skill of 2018 is sometimes as close as we’ve ever seen to that elusive Geno thing called perfection. Injury free, this team may yet get itself onto the short list debate for best of all time. Very special group.

As we said as kids after watching the Mick go down swinging, “looks good when when it’s a miss.” The breathtaking ball movement with somebody missing a bunny was as impressive as the scores. Like Willie Pep winning a round while not throwing a punch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Right up there with 1st half of UCONN vs ODU 2002 Elite Eight game (at one point UCONN was 19 for 21) and UCONN vs #2 Georgia season opener in 2000 (Geno played entire roster in 1st half including the Big Rig).

Reaction Score
Unfortunately as I get older my
memories aren't as sharp or clear, so it's harder to make comparisons.
It was though a half, and especially the 2nd quarter absolutely stunning basketball. The ball movement & shooting superb(61% in the quarter) and the lockdown defense holding a quality team (and defending national champions with the likely npoy) to eight points in their own building is phenomenal.
When Geno reacts as he did, you know they were close to perfection.
Great game & outstanding work and effort!
Bronx23

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2016 mississippi state 1st half imo the best.
I was there and tend to agree, but here are some differences:

--That game was at Bridgeport and not on the road.

--There were not 18,000 partisan fans yelling for the other team.

--MSU was rated about 15, not in the top 10.

--MSU was not the reigning national champion.

Considering these points, last night's performance was VERY impressive.

(Edit: Sorry if I repeated several of Olddude's points.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom