Was Lyndon Johnson Really That Good? | The Boneyard

Was Lyndon Johnson Really That Good?

Reaction Score
He’s now an assistant to Rob Ambrose at Towson after spending the last 5 years at Maryland. When I read the description of his tenure as an Edsall assistant at UConn it made me pine for those halcyon days of yore, but also wonder if he was as responsible as he implies. Do you recall him being that much of a catalyst for our success —-or more like Zelig, merely appearing in every scene?

Lyndon Johnson
No stranger to working alongside head coach Rob Ambrose, Lyndon Johnson enters his first season as an assistant coach at Towson. Johnson will work with the running backs, while also serving as the recruiting coordinator.
The duo spent seven years together as assistant coaches at the University of Connecticut. Johnson spent 12 seasons on staff at Connecticut. He began his tenure in 1999 as the tight ends coach and special teams coordinator.

Johnson took over the role as the Huskies recruiting coordinator in 2002, and continued in that role through the 2005 season.
He played a key role in the recruitment of quarterback Dan Orlovsky. Orlovsky would go on to become the first Husky to play in the NFL when he was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the fifth round.

Johnson was also instrumental in the recruiting of running back Donald Brown. Brown was named the 2008 Big East Offensive Player of the Year after rushing for 2.083 yards and 18 touchdowns. He would become the first UConn player drafted in the first round when he was selected 27th overall by the Indianapolis Colts.

Johnson spent his final nine seasons at UConn working with the outside linebackers, while also serving as the special teams coordinator from 2006-10.

Johnson had the top kick returner in the nation in 2010 in Nick Williams, who averaged 35.3 yards per return and had two touchdowns. As a team, the Huskies ranked third nationally in kickoff returns, bolstering a run to the Big East Championship and the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

The Huskies were ninth in the FBS in kickoff returns in 2009 at 25.8 yards per return. They set a school record with three returns for touchdowns. Robert McClain also ranked 18th nationally in punt returns at 12.6 yards per attempt.

UConn’s special teams also aided its run to the 2007 Big East Championship. The team returned two punts for touchdowns and also returned two kickoffs for touchdowns.
The season saw Tony Ciaravino score a UConn kicker record 100 points, while punter Desi Cullen averaged 40.7 yards per punt.
Cullen concluded his career in 2009 as the school’s career record holder with a 41.1 yards per punt average. He also set the single-season mark, averaging 42.8 yards per punt.

YDuring the 2007 and 2008 seasons, Johnson coached linebacker Scott Lutrus to postseason honors. Lutrus was a First-Team Freshman All-America selection in 2007, and an All-Big East pick in 2008.

Towson Athletics

Reaction Score
Norries Wilson had to be kept from ripping Randy's head off (I think it was Lyndon and Orlando who stopped him). That staff consisted of guys who took no crap.

Reaction Score
Let's not let facts get in the way of a good story. Dan O.-first Husky to play in the NFL? John Dorsey, Erik Torkelson, Nick Giaquinto, & multiple others might disagree.

You don’t even have to go that far back. A few players from the 90’s played in the NFL.

Reaction Score
He was really good with recruits. A very good person to have around. He is good at developing players too

Reaction Score
Just another reason I’m happy Dorsey is our GM.

Reaction Score
He’s now an assistant to Rob Ambrose at Towson after spending the last 5 years at Maryland. When I read the description of his tenure as an Edsall assistant at UConn it made me pine for those halcyon days of yore, but also wonder if he was as responsible as he implies. Do you recall him being that much of a catalyst for our success —-or more like Zelig, merely appearing in every scene?

Lyndon Johnson
No stranger to working alongside head coach Rob Ambrose, Lyndon Johnson enters his first season as an assistant coach at Towson. Johnson will work with the running backs, while also serving as the recruiting coordinator.
The duo spent seven years together as assistant coaches at the University of Connecticut. Johnson spent 12 seasons on staff at Connecticut. He began his tenure in 1999 as the tight ends coach and special teams coordinator.

Johnson took over the role as the Huskies recruiting coordinator in 2002, and continued in that role through the 2005 season.
He played a key role in the recruitment of quarterback Dan Orlovsky. Orlovsky would go on to become the first Husky to play in the NFL when he was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the fifth round.

Johnson was also instrumental in the recruiting of running back Donald Brown. Brown was named the 2008 Big East Offensive Player of the Year after rushing for 2.083 yards and 18 touchdowns. He would become the first UConn player drafted in the first round when he was selected 27th overall by the Indianapolis Colts.

Johnson spent his final nine seasons at UConn working with the outside linebackers, while also serving as the special teams coordinator from 2006-10.

Johnson had the top kick returner in the nation in 2010 in Nick Williams, who averaged 35.3 yards per return and had two touchdowns. As a team, the Huskies ranked third nationally in kickoff returns, bolstering a run to the Big East Championship and the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

The Huskies were ninth in the FBS in kickoff returns in 2009 at 25.8 yards per return. They set a school record with three returns for touchdowns. Robert McClain also ranked 18th nationally in punt returns at 12.6 yards per attempt.

UConn’s special teams also aided its run to the 2007 Big East Championship. The team returned two punts for touchdowns and also returned two kickoffs for touchdowns.
The season saw Tony Ciaravino score a UConn kicker record 100 points, while punter Desi Cullen averaged 40.7 yards per punt.
Cullen concluded his career in 2009 as the school’s career record holder with a 41.1 yards per punt average. He also set the single-season mark, averaging 42.8 yards per punt.

YDuring the 2007 and 2008 seasons, Johnson coached linebacker Scott Lutrus to postseason honors. Lutrus was a First-Team Freshman All-America selection in 2007, and an All-Big East pick in 2008.

Towson Athletics

Sounds to me like Johnson played a pivotal role in bringing in great talent and also coaching up under the radar players. Questioning how much of a role did Edsall actually play in UConns success.

Reaction Score
Sounds to me like Johnson played a pivotal role in bringing in great talent and also coaching up under the radar players. Questioning how much of a role did Edsall actually play in UConns success.
From some insiders at UConn in athletic dept he had a major role in bringing in talent. Kids liked him and he was liked very much at UConn also

Reaction Score
Randy’s old crop of Assistants seems like Camelot compared to what we have now. Either these guys will grow into that or they won’t.

Reaction Score
Being an Assistant Coach is a ... “what have you done lately” thing. Dan Orlovsky recruitment? Sheesh. He’ll have kids being recruited soon.

Rob Ambrose, now, is a respected successful Towson HC. A solid FCS program. He took Lyndon now because he has value. Thus ... Lyndon Johnson Still is a solid coach. And I believe the thought that he was solid in recruiting.

Our current staff?

Jury is out. Aaron Smith was solid at UALBANY. Jon Wholley was solid at Fordham. I mean I know this for a fact. Unlike HCRE 2.0, we have not seen oodles of kids from WPA (like we did with Todd Orlando) nor MD (Ambrose). I AM impressed with this 2018 Freshman class - they are just too damn young for their current role.

Reaction Score
I will tell you this. Lyndon Johnson is a stand up guy and the only reason I caved into the recruitment to UConn.
He was always up front with me and frankly was my first contact with the program. I was never a big fan of HCRE and Johnson was a buffer between us for a while . He is a stand up guy and an excellent coach and a great asset for recruiting. Don't know if RE has anyone on his staff like a Johnson or an Orlando or a Wi;son or a Hughes.
But Re is still Re, lets throw people under the bus. Anyone remember Ryan Bushy?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom