Warde's long, strong ties to Parker Exec. Search | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde's long, strong ties to Parker Exec. Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
**Yawn***

No different than what is done in the corporate world. The OP is grasping a straws here because he want to skimp out on the 10% finders fee.

Let's break it down, Dr. Jack style.

1. Person Y gets a Low level job out of college with "X Firm"
2. Y advances from Low level job to intermediate position at X, but wants to take career in a different direction (for whatever reason).
3. Y signs on with headhunter E.
4. E matches Y with a number of varying management level positions at competing firms in the same and other industries, based on what the competing firms are looking for.
4a. Y is not otherwise aware that the completion has these types of openings. Likewise, Competing firms are unaware of Y's interest to move had it not been for E.
5. Y is interviewed and is hired into a Manager position by Firm Z (Not the head hunter)
5a. Firm Z pays E a commission.
6. Y is allowed a staff.
6a. It just makes sense that he'll go back to the same headhunter who "placed" him.
7. Y is promoted to Vice President.
8. Firm Q is looking for a President
9. E calls on Y based on qualifications and what the competing firms are looking for to gage Y's interest
10. Y potentially moves on.

Reaction Score
Guess we're going to have to disagree about what 'legit' means, and Warde is looking out for himself, which I have no problem with.

But where's Parker's accountability? Warde makes a good hire, he boosts his own stock, the value of his relationship with Parker goes up and Parker cashes in when Warde goes for his next job. Warde makes a bad hire, gets canned here, and Parker still ahead money-wise even after Warde's value goes down, because they got paid for 'helping' with this search.

Did you reach China yet?

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about it. But it will have an influence. If there is one thing that you learn in business, is that folks can can be bought for amazingly small sums.

John Toner bought Geno Auriemma for a cup of coffee and a doughnut.

Reaction Score
Me either. But we should be honest in that if Warde is working with Parker, he is also collecting a chit for himself for somewhere down the line -- a chit that won't be negatively affected even if this hire happens to flame out.
you don't see anything bad, yet for 2 days and a zillion posts you have basically suggested search firms are useless and now are insinuating that WM is on the take, only looking to find his next position.

If WM likes Parker so be it. That's the benefit of calling the shots and making the decisions.

Reaction Score
Guess we're going to have to disagree about what 'legit' means, and Warde is looking out for himself, which I have no problem with.

But where's Parker's accountability? Warde makes a good hire, he boosts his own stock, the value of his relationship with Parker goes up and Parker cashes in when Warde goes for his next job. Warde makes a bad hire, gets canned here, and Parker still ahead money-wise even after Warde's value goes down, because they got paid for 'helping' with this search.
now you are suggesting the issue is firms aren't accountable?
I stand corrected. you are a pompous .

Reaction Score
you don't see anything bad, yet for 2 days and a zillion posts you have basically suggested search firms are useless and now are insinuating that WM is on the take, only looking to find his next position.

On the take is a little strong. Quid pro quo much closer to the truth, like the rest in the Parker 'tree'.

Reaction Score
It is absurd, if firms do a bad job then nobody hires them.

Not true. Despite Parker's ever-growing list of spectacular fails, they are still "The Leader In The Industry".

Reaction Score
Not true. Despite Parker's ever-growing list of spectacular fails, they are still "The Leader In The Industry".

Here we go again... please list the"spectacular fails" that Parker hired.

And just because you keep linking the same articles over and over and over again - they don't become anymore persuasive to your argument.

Reaction Score
presented without (much) editorial comment. There's already a wonderful thread underway about that. Medic, others, if this story has already been posted, apologies.

Found this in a s c o u t dot-com story about Warde's chances for NC State's athletic director job before their Debbie Yow hire in 2010. It explains a lot.

Being associated with Parker has worked out very well for WM personally. Parker was involved with Buffalo when Warde hired Jeff Quinn, who did us a favor and ended our P misery in September. (BTW that game should have been called the the Parker-Alden Bowl)

It's pretty obvious reading this story and others that Manuel's retaining of Parker (if true) for this search will be used to boost Warde's career if/when he moves on from UConn.

If WM leaves behind a football coach who is having the same success Quinn is having at Buffalo. . . .great for UConn. I'll take it. And Warde seems to have the old-boy-network game down, so kudos to him.

Here's what I find unsavory: throwing 50-100K of other people's money at a company that on paper is being paid to help your school find a coach (something some people actually manage to do their own), but in reality is also a payoff to keep a relationship going that you hope will lead you to a better job down the road. As outlined here by Sports Illustrated

Like I said, if WM finds UConn a guy who wins like Quinn before Warde heads off for greener AD pastures, fine. But it would be pollyanna-ish to contend Warde's hiring Parker is strictly and only about finding UConn a football coach.

Scout's story

QUICK NOTES: Manuel is regarded as one of the top rising athletics directors in the business.

In his five years at Buffalo Manuel has had a high-level of success. The football program won a MAC title and played in the school's first bowl game. The men's hoops team won a share of the MAC reg. season title in 2008-2009, the first-ever MAC title, and advanced to postseason play for only the second time in school history. . . . . .

CONNECTING THE DOTS: Sources we've spoken with have indicated that Dan Parker is extremely high on Manuel and would likely recommend him for the NC State position, assuming Manuel is interested.

Parker Executive Search assisted Manuel with the recent hiring of head football coach Jeff Quinn, and Manuel was reportedly one of the candidates in the mix for the Rutgers AD search that Parker Executive Search was hired to assist with.

SPECULATING MUTUAL INTEREST: LOW -- There are no obvious connections between Manuel and the job outside of his previous dealings with Parker Executive Search. However, as one source has indicated, search firms tend to recommend "their guys" more often than not. That same source stated he would be shocked if Manuel didn't at least receive an early interview for the NC State job given just how highly the search firm thinks of him.

Reaction Score
Here we go again... please list the"spectacular fails" that Parker hired.

And just because you keep linking the same articles over and over and over again - they don't become anymore persuasive to your argument.

Wasn't the NC State profile of Manuel a new one?

Reaction Score
Wasn't the NC State profile of Manuel a new one?

Yup... (blind squirrel found a nut). It was a six year old "Scout" article and they didn't even mention the person who got the job - so much for their "connecting the dots".

Answer the question...

Reaction Score
Yup... (blind squirrel found a nut). It was a six year old "Scout" article and they didn't even mention the person who got the job - so much for their "connecting the dots".

Answer the question...

Hold on medic --It's 3 years. I know you're talking about the post date (2006) cause I saw that too. Yet the story references a ton of stuff that happened after that . A mistake by computer archiving system. Between this and Bruno your batting average is dropping.

Reaction Score
Hold on medic --It's 3 years. I know you're talking about the post date (2006) cause I saw that too. Yet the story references a ton of stuff that happened after that . A mistake by computer archiving system. Between this and Bruno your batting average is dropping.

Okay the date is wrong - still no mention of the person who got the job.

Answer the question...

Reaction Score

Answer the question Claire!

Reaction Score
Me either. But we should be honest in that if Warde is working with Parker, he is also collecting a chit for himself for somewhere down the line -- a chit that won't be negatively affected even if this hire happens to flame out.

Yes. Of course this is how it works. But that relationship also works in his favor if a coach is picking between two schools. Parker may push someone towards Warde and UCONN because of that relationship. At Warde's age, he has a lot of years left of hiring people and being hired, which means a lot of fees in Parker's pockets. So it is symbiotic. Works for all parties (including the prospective candidates). Also is better to be "inside" than "outside"...

So I'm not one of the guys that is going to tell you that back scratching isn't going on here. It clearly is. But it should work in our favor. So I'm cool with it.

I get treated very well by vendors even though I'm in a small company right now. Because in my last job I was in charge of an 8 figure checkbook, and while I'm not now, I have 20 more years of spending on vendors to go...they get it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just about every school or business hires search firms for big hires, yet it's a scam. OK whatever you say.

It's an absolute scam. It's about the definition of a scam. Read the 'service' they provide. The Boneyard has already produced a list every bit as good as they will.

It's all about what Ruskin posted at the beginning. Hell at work yesterday I sat through the exact same conversation - let's give a company we don't need a ton of consulting money to keep the relationship 'positive'.

Reaction Score

People don't work out all the time, in all kinds of industries. That doesn't mean they aren't talented. PP might have been great if he had come with a different OC. There are a ton of issues that go into actual performance. What you get from a firm mostly is access / confidentiality / screening / research / help with negotiation. The amount of hours spent on that is time that the administration doesn't have to. It is worth some $ amount, you'd have to agree to that. It is also opportunity cost. If the school is doing all of that work, they aren't doing other work. And they aren't trained in that kind of work. And they don't have the rolodex.

Even if Warde has 10 names, and Parker sources none of them, but just does all of the arranging / interviewing / hassling with agents / determining fit / expectations, it is still worth some money. That work has to be done by somebody. Some of those 10 names won't be interested, and it isn't a good use of Warde's time to call agents and be told to buzz off.

Reaction Score
Some of those 10 names won't be interested, and it isn't a good use of Warde's time to call agents and be told to buzz off.

With this job being one of the few open that will be in the $2 million range and with a $50 million facility with a very nice office I hope the "buzz off" list is very very short. Can't imagine there's too many after Frost and Smart (although with all the yelling Saban does at Smart maybe he'd give UConn a second look).

Reaction Score
With this job being one of the few open that will be in the $2 million range and with a $50 million facility with a very nice office I hope the "buzz off" list is very very short. Can't imagine there's too many after Frost and Smart (although with all the yelling Saban does at Smart maybe he'd give UConn a second look).

Right, but this is where a firm could be useful. We would all love guys like Frost / Smart. We also think we can't get them. But Parker is probably tight with their agents, and knows the truth. Warde, if he is making calls directly, may not make those calls, instead focusing on MAC guys that can't ignore the money. Other than the obvious guys that we all want and are probably both available and should be interested, I would hope that Parker unearths a handful of candidates that we might have been high on but wouldn't have spent time chasing because they were too much of a "stretch". I would imagine there are probably a couple of guys that would be interested in UCONN that we would have never thought would be, and I bet there are a couple of guys that we would expect to drool over the job that will pass immediately. I don't know if there is intelligence within Parker, but with regards to that stuff, they should know more than Warde.

Reaction Score
It's an absolute scam. It's about the definition of a scam. Read the 'service' they provide. The Boneyard has already produced a list every bit as good as they will.

It's all about what Ruskin posted at the beginning. Hell at work yesterday I sat through the exact same conversation - let's give a company we don't need a ton of consulting money to keep the relationship 'positive'.

I always thought it was less about generating a list and more about quietly making contact with people (hidden from the FOI act) to gauge interest, arrange secret interviews and to also do background checks. If they do nothing but give Warde the Boneyard list of candidates then it is wasted money, I would be very surprised if that's all they do.

On another note since when has this board become a place to complain about relatively small amounts of money being spent? Why on earth should I care if Warde throws away 90K, just make the right hire. If he makes the wrong hire and didn't use a search firm people will complain that he tried to do it on the cheap.

This thread is nonsense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Have u seen the boneyard list. Do u really think we have a shot at lembo or nardizzi. Yes consultants are not necessary. They are the equivalent of an as seen on tv ad. Yes you can make pancakes in a regular pan but the confidence u will have using the perfect pancake is immeasurable. Consultants are a necessary evil. A pat on the back a training wheel. to make us feel like we are doin the right thing. This could also be at a request o the boosters.

Reaction Score
Have u seen the boneyard list. Do u really think we have a shot at lembo or nardizzi. Yes consultants are not necessary..

That's exactly why you hire a consultant - you don't want to end up with a Nardizzi when you really want a Narduzzi!!!:p

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
PP might have been great if he had come with a different OC.

We need to put a stake through this. P was never going to be great no matter who he brought. At the end of the day, he was in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom