Warde the frontrunner for Michigan AD job? | The Boneyard

Warde the frontrunner for Michigan AD job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=13194

Just read this article on Blaudschun's blog. I hadn't seen or heard anything about this rumor before. I've really liked what Warde has done here and it'd be a terrible time to have to replace our AD. Hopefully this doesn't happen.

Let me help get you up to speed if you choose....

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/from-blauds-michigan-closing-in-on-manuel-as-ad.86503/

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/michigan-begins-search-for-permanent-ad.84084/#post-1495193

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/warde-manuel-to-be-next-michigan-ad.78239/

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/if-manuel-to-michigan.84614/#post-1507275

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hartford Courant just confirmed that Warde had, in fact, interviewed at Michigan in the past week. I'm thinking about what Warde's departure would mean for the future of UConn sports and am wondering whether it could actually bode well for us. For one, it's always good when someone from your program's success is viewed as so valuable that it enables them to land a spot at (arguably) the most important program in all of college sports. Second, it would be great to have a serious UConn connection as the AD of a prominent B1G team. Though it would suck to lose such a talented guy, he could certainly work as an advocate for UConn to enter into the B1G.

Reaction Score
Hartford Courant just confirmed that Warde had, in fact, interviewed at Michigan in the past week. I'm thinking about what Warde's departure would mean for the future of UConn sports and am wondering whether it could actually bode well for us. For one, it's always good when someone from your program's success is viewed as so valuable that it enables them to land a spot at (arguably) the most important program in all of college sports. Second, it would be great to have a serious UConn connection as the AD of a prominent B1G team. Though it would suck to lose such a talented guy, he could certainly work as an advocate for UConn to enter into the B1G.

You don't get how it works. When Warde was here and we didn't get picked in the ACC - it was 100% his fault. When he is AD at Michigan, his support won't mean anything because ADs don't run the realignment process.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
You don't get how it works. When Warde was here and we didn't get picked in the ACC - it was 100% his fault. When he is AD at Michigan, his support won't mean anything because ADs don't run the realignment process.

ADs don't run the realignment process, but I'm sure that ADs have a place at the table. It certainly can't hurt.

Reaction Score
If he didn't have any serious interest he wouldn't have interviewed. At this point, I think we should worry.

Reaction Score
He found a groove after a very shaky start and has done nicely. Having a proponent on this inside at Michigan can't possibly do anything but help as well.

Reaction Score
As far as who was getting picked for the ACC, were the cards already in play by the time Manuel had any input in the matter? As far as him leaving for Michigan, not much anyone can do about it if it's meant to be. It is the guy's Alma mater. Just don't like seeing UConn as a stepping stone instead of a destination.

Reaction Score
As far as who was getting picked for the ACC, were the cards already in play by the time Manuel had any input in the matter? As far as him leaving for Michigan, not much anyone can do about it if it's meant to be. It is the guy's Alma mater. Just don't like seeing UConn as a stepping stone instead of a destination.
I absolutely agree there.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
ADs don't run the realignment process, but I'm sure that ADs have a place at the table. It certainly can't hurt.
Reread what he wrote and notice the contradiction :p

Reaction Score
It would suck to lose him as I think he's done a great job. That said, I really think people overvalue the impact that AD's have in the realignment game. To think that he would A) be an advocate for us and B) make a difference even if he was, is so just divorced from reality. Lastly, it's his alma mater. It's Michigan. It's not like we're losing him to New Mexico St. Relax with the steppingstone stuff.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
You are still relatively new here. Not sure you get the joke :)
Ah okay. My bad :)
It would suck to lose him as I think he's done a great job. That said, I really think people overvalue the impact that AD's have in the realignment game. To think that he would A) be an advocate for us and B) make a difference even if he was, is so just divorced from reality. Lastly, it's his alma mater. It's Michigan. It's not like we're losing him to New Mexico St. Relax with the steppingstone stuff.

I disagree with the first part of this statement but definitely agree that UConn being a stepping stone for a school like Michigan is a good thing rather than bad. We'll never be Michigan, Notre Dame or Texas--anyone who thinks different is delusional. Being a stepping stone for a program like that means that your stone is pretty high up the mountain :)

Reaction Score
The Detroit Free Press article that touts Warde Manuel's Michigan AD front-runner status includes this nugget:

"Another interesting, under-appreciated item on Manuel's resume? He has worked with a strong-willed, high-profile coach, UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma, just as he would with football coach Jim Harbaugh at U-M."

Not sure who gets the better side of that analogy.

Reaction Score
The Detroit Free Press article that touts Warde Manuel's Michigan AD front-runner status includes this nugget:

"Another interesting, under-appreciated item on Manuel's resume? He has worked with a strong-willed, high-profile coach, UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma, just as he would with football coach Jim Harbaugh at U-M."

Not sure who gets the better side of that analogy.
Warde and Harbaugh played together at U...they are friends according to someone I have talked to who played with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom