Warde - once and for all - define your vision | The Boneyard

Warde - once and for all - define your vision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
for this AD and give us some hope that the downward spiral will not continue. It feels like more than two coaches will leave voluntarily and that the two we wanted gone will still be here.

Enough of the gravitas. Time for action and a call to arms. Enough of the silence. Get busy.

Reaction Score
I don't think he really has one. there are 2 types of people who end up in these kind of jobs. One kind is Lew Perkins or Jurich type who has a vision and works like crazy to move toward it. The other type is the Hathaway type who is much more the technician. Budgets, compliance, things like that are the focus while the "vision thing" is left to someone else. While they are different personalities, I really get the feeling that Manuel is much more the technocrat like Hathaway and Susan Herbst is the one who provides the vision, to the extent there is any for the Athletic Department. Either type can be effective or ineffective depending on the situation or the needs of the moment. To an extent, Hathaway, for example, was actually a very good choice initially. he brought confidence and competence to a department that was reeling after the initial ACC raid, in the middle of our upgrade. But as the department changed and needs changed he wasn't adaptable. Manuel might have actually been a fine choice for UConn had we been in a stable conference situation and had Calhoun stayed until the end of his contract. But the circumstances we are in, he is exaclty the wrong type of guy.

Reaction Score
I don't think he really has one. there are 2 types of people who end up in these kind of jobs. One kind is Lew Perkins or Jurich type who has a vision and works like crazy to move toward it. The other type is the Hathaway type who is much more the technician. Budgets, compliance, things like that are the focus while the "vision thing" is left to someone else. While they are different personalities, I really get the feeling that Manuel is much more the technocrat like Hathaway and Susan Herbst is the one who provides the vision, to the extent there is any for the Athletic Department. Either type can be effective or ineffective depending on the situation or the needs of the moment. To an extent, Hathaway, for example, was actually a very good choice initially. he brought confidence and competence to a department that was reeling after the initial ACC raid, in the middle of our upgrade. But as the department changed and needs changed he wasn't adaptable. Manuel might have actually been a fine choice for UConn had we been in a stable conference situation and had Calhoun stayed until the end of his contract. But the circumstances we are in, he is exaclty the wrong type of guy.

100% agree. So far, I have seen no vision for UConn athletics from Manuel and it has me worried that he is the wrong guy for this period in UConn athletics. We need to be building the programs up and expanding for the future. We need a leader. Time is short.

Reaction Score

Hathaway was not a good choice as Uconn AD at any time under any circumstances.

Reaction Score
Hathaway was not a good choice as Uconn AD at any time under any circumstances.
He only presided over the most successful period of UConn athletics in its history, and likelyone of the most successful runs in any school's history. His problem was two fold. He and his most popular coach disliked each other, and he too lacked vision.

Reaction Score
Hathaway didn't do anything in regards to compliance.

Reaction Score
I don't like you at all Ward, you're like a wart just there doing nothing.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i would start my vision off with something like "10 years and several months ago, this great state had a dream....."

Reaction Score
A lot of what goes on with conference realignment is out of WM hands. What has me most worried is our scheduling. Fact that no marquee basketball and football games have been announced since WM took over leads me to believe that WM is not only bad in front of the microphone but also behind closed doors. With our depleted conference, it is absolutely essential that we keep a strong OOC schedule in bot Bball and football.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Warde will come through i got this feeling, i can't imagine he would let all the building years just go to waste,and yes he will replace staff after next season when we get invited to the b1g.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Warde's vision most likely coincides with President Herbst's: gain AAU acceptance and angle for a B1G invite. Manuel was Assistant AD at Michigan and AD at Buffalo and both are AAU institutions. My guess is that he was hired for that connection and to make sure UConn's athletic programs never again suffer a postseason ban from low APR scores. While I also want to see Ollie given a contract extension, I think Manuel is waiting to see how the academic scores from this year's team look first. It's clear the ACC will continue to pass over UConn so while it's being passed over, I think this is the best approach. AAU acceptance doesn't lock UConn into the B1G, but it certainly increases its chances by ALOT.

Reaction Score
Never again being embarrassed by a postseason APR related ban and gaining AAU acceptance are something we can control. Those are positives. Make ourselves stronger and see what happens. It would be nice at some point to see some real info on adding seats to the Rent. Design, cost, time it would take, just to let people know we are looking forward.

Reaction Score
realistically nothing at all will be done to the Rent for years to come. basketball practice facility is behind schedule and football season sales down 30 % from the peak. When the basketball and all of the other on campus facilities are done as proposed there may be a couple dollars left for the rent.

Reaction Score
The guy is a total clown.

for this AD and give us some hope that the downward spiral will not continue. It feels like more than two coaches will leave voluntarily and that the two we wanted gone will still be here.

Enough of the gravitas. Time for action and a call to arms. Enough of the silence. Get busy.

Reaction Score

His only vision is to make $450,000 plus for as many years as he can.

Reaction Score
I have the same vision. Warde has done much better executing his

If you have the same vision then I can only hope you are not the next AD at UConn.

Reaction Score
One vision I would love for it to cross his mind is to make some sort of contract with MSG in which UConn will play 4 games a year against top programs. Example Michigan, Michigan St, Florida, Texas, Ohio St, USC, UCLA , programs who are good in both revenue sport who would love the exposure in NYC while at the same time UConn brands itself as a major presence in NY. And while doing this you use this a leverage to schedule these same teams for football on a 1-1-1, away, home and another game in NYC which like in Basketball they would love the NYC exposure and at the same UConn gains more presence.

Reaction Score
We played NC St at MSG this year. There were very few UConn fans in attendance. If we do what you suggest there better be big promotions to get fans to attend.Nothing would look worse than claiming to have a foothold in NYC and then not show up.

Reaction Score
We played NC St at MSG this year. There were very few UConn fans in attendance. If we do what you suggest there better be big promotions to get fans to attend.Nothing would look worse than claiming to have a foothold in NYC and then not show up.

I said major programs, NC St? are they that? no, not in basketball and much less in football. fans want to see good games, if you give them that will show up, had it been any of the teams I mentioned with the exception of UCLA fans would of showed up. Let's say Florida or Michigan at the garden or at the rent or a football stadium in NY fans will show up maybe not you , and yes you have to promote thats the whole point of having a AD, and a athletic program and scheduling.
Remember that once the 7 Catholics break away, we might not play Saint Johns or in the BET, we will be playing the Tulanes and such. We need to play at the garden because we recruit in NY.

Reaction Score
I was at the MSG game vs NC St. It was a double header featuring Texas v Georgetown. I'm not saying your idea isn't a good one. I just don't believe In today's climate--- without significant promotion--- you would get many UConn fans heading to MSG for games against Michigan, Michigan St, Florida, Texas, Ohio St, USC, or UCLA. If we keep saying our selling point is we are NYC's team, we'd better show up or shut up.

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight!!!???? Are you suggesting Uconn is/has come up short in promoting its sports initiatives......???? I don't believe it for a minute!!!!! ~ End Sarcasm...

Reaction Score
You get it Doggie. We are simply not the fan committed program we used to be. Whatever it takes to re-energize the fanbase needs to happen. All programs suffer a downturn when things go south for a while, but we can't seem to fill our local arenas when we had winning programs. I keep asking the same question: What will it take to get our fans in football seats by kickoff--or to MSG on a weeknight, etc? Whatever "that" is, we better discover it and bottle it, or the perception that UConn is not serious about its athletic programs will continue to permeate media rants and conference realignment discussions.

Reaction Score

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman