Warde mentioned UCONN n p5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde mentioned UCONN n p5

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I hate the feeling that each loss moves us that much closer to staying in this purgatory forever. Our salvation shouldn't be riding on 19 year old kids. Of course, now that UConn has successfully spun its present situation as an Act of God, in which outside forces have placed us in the AAC, it doesn't really matter what the results are or who the next AD will be.

They didn't spin anything. You can't force another group of people, another conference, to select UCONN over other schools. At the end of the day, those schools care about money, specifically gauged through (projected) market and TV sets, and they go with that over anything else. It is in other peoples' hands. Not UCONN's.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I recently attended a UConn reception for state legislators around a women's game. Usually Herbst is there but there was a lot of brass. They were surprised when the recent B1G expansion fell apart. They thought we had a path. Now they just don't know.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. UConn in the Big 12 is great for every sport except football. We'd get killed every game playing teams like Baylor, Oklahoma, and TCU. But for basketball, it'd be great. Imagine teams like Iowa State and Kansas coming to town? I actually wish you didn't say this cuz now my hopes are sky high to join a P5!
We would get smoked initially in football in any P5 conference. That is not the point.

Reaction Score
I recently attended a UConn reception for state legislators around a women's game. Usually Herbst is there but there was a lot of brass. They were surprised when the recent B1G expansion fell apart. They thought we had a path. Now they just don't know.

What recent B1G expansion? In my opinion we will always be the back up plan for the B1G. If they can get a UVA or UNC or Texas or OK and not a 2nd team they will take us in a pinch to get one of those teams and balance it out. But the liklihood of any of those teams agreeing to go without a current conference partner is extremely remote. They would have to be very desperate.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
They didn't spin anything. You can't force another group of people, another conference, to select UCONN over other schools. At the end of the day, those schools care about money, specifically gauged through (projected) market and TV sets, and they go with that over anything else. It is in other peoples' hands. Not UCONN's.
Sure, but you can position yourself in the best possible place or rest on your laurels, since it's out of your hands anyway. We seem to have figured that out too late.

Reaction Score
The members of the boneyard had as much to do with the 6 championships as Warde did.

It wouldn't have mattered who the AD was. He did do some other good things. Hopefully he has some "insider info" related to the P5, time will tell.

Can't speak for Susan but Warde was a great AD. He came in when we were having APR trouble and helped us get a perfect score. Not to mention bringing 6 national championships. Warde will be missed.

Reaction Score
Men's basketball is not what's holding us back from making a P5 conference...its all about the $$$ football produces.

Diaco will get us there.

I don't know what people are up in arms about regarding UConn athletics. Yeah, being in the AAC sucks, but UConn is being grown for long term future success. We have 2 of the greatest young coaches I could ask for in our 2 primary sports. It's called growing pains.

Reaction Score
That high up? Has to own a statewide car wash chain. The car wash king. Adds even more credence to the poster's statements.

I was a little reluctant to post this info because I knew I couldn't (or wouldn't) disclose the exact name/position of the person I spoke with, and that it would result in cynical sarcasm such as this. Sorry I can't add more that will increase its credibility. Like I said, take it for what its worth.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was a little reluctant to post this info because I knew I couldn't (or wouldn't) disclose the exact name/position of the person I spoke with, and that it would result in cynical sarcasm such as this. Sorry I can't add more that will increase its credibility. Like I said, take it for what its worth.

Not cynicism from me. Just joking around. I take nothing seriously vis a vis conference realignment until we end up in a new conference. I do appreciate the info though.

Reaction Score
(I've had a few...) So in a perfect world where we have our choice of a P5 conference, what would we want and why?

Reaction Score
(I've had a few...) So in a perfect world where we have our choice of a P5 conference, what would we want and why?

Clearly, the PAC 12, conference of champions, would be my first pick and I assume I'm speaking for the majority. Bill Walton. 'Nuff said.

Reaction Score

Big 12. Simply because they are the best basketball conference in the country.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What recent B1G expansion? In my opinion we will always be the back up plan for the B1G. If they can get a UVA or UNC or Texas or OK and not a 2nd team they will take us in a pinch to get one of those teams and balance it out. But the liklihood of any of those teams agreeing to go without a current conference partner is extremely remote. They would have to be very desperate.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I was told the Big was looking to expand with us (and I don't know who else). They thought it looked good then they drew back.

Reaction Score
What are U referring to? The only thing I herd in that vid is WM saying 'hell ya' to moving to Mich. Not exactly pro-UC?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm no expert on this stuff, but I was told the Big was looking to expand with us (and I don't know who else). They thought it looked good then they drew back.
It was probably mac and cheese related. That or turkey.

Reaction Score
For what it is worth, I know someone who works for the Big 12 and the person told me that UConn is one of two schools seriously being considered. Interestingly, the person said that there is a movement by many in the P5 to redo the whole realignment thing - start over again from scratch and build super-regional mega conferences that make more sense. Thought it would be a long shot but it is being discussed. The person said that in an ideal world, UConn joining the Big 12 makes little sense, however, realignment has led many P5 conferences to do nonsensical things. The way things have shaken out, UConn is the next best thing for the Big12. This person is pretty high up - he apparently knows WM as he said that he sent a text to Warde congratulating him.

Since a redo would cost the B1G money, I would not hold my breath.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
We would get smoked initially in football in any P5 conference. That is not the point.
We wouldn't get smoked by all teams in the P5, some yes, but you can not tell me Indiana, Illinois , Wake Forest and on and on..would smoke us.. We are not there yet but if Coach Diaco does stick around, watch how much better UCONN is off than it was even in Edsall's days.. Go HUSKIES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom