Warde has fired a football coach during the season before | The Boneyard

Warde has fired a football coach during the season before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kevin Duffy reminded people on twitter Sunday that three months after taking the job at Buffalo in 2005, he canned Jim Hofher with two games left in the season (scary in the degrees of separation sense that Hofher played QB for McHugh at Xavier, but that's a whole nother topic). One of the reasons he said he did it was to give himself more time to find a coach. And I bet the great Bo Schembechler trotted out the "Trust Your Eyes" line on him before he pulled the trigger. His quotes here and here after the firing are very enlightening. (Wish Bo could come back as O-Bo Wan Kinobi now to speak to Warde ).

So maybe there is a method to Warde's seeming inaction here. As much as we wish he had done it after Town-son, maybe he's going to give people hope going into the conference season by whacking P after Saturday to give new coach a non-conference scrimmage at Buffalo before the conference season starts. Hell, it worked in hockey, so why not now?

Reaction Score
The reason coaches get fired with a week or two left is that that allows the schools to be one of the first ones in the door when the market opens to talk to coaches for next year. Except for a handful of people taking a year off, there is no one to talk to until we get to Thanksgiving, because they are all worried about this year and their current jobs.

What I'm saying is that firing Hofher with two games left is very likely the roadmap that Manual has in mind for P. Firing P now just doesn't help you make the permanent hire. The only reason to fire him now is because you actually think you can make your team better this year by doing so. And, while I have given up on this regime, I still don't see a reason to think that we are going to cure our 2013 problems by appointing Hughes or Weist or Foley interim coach. In fact, by doing so you probably guaranty that whomever you appoint won't be back next year under the permanent coach because they become more of a threat.

Reaction Score
What I'm saying is that firing Hofher with two games left is very likely the roadmap that Manual has in mind for P. Firing P now just doesn't help you make the permanent hire. The only reason to fire him now is because you actually think you can make your team better this year by doing so. And, while I have given up on this regime, I still don't see a reason to think that we are going to cure our 2013 problems by appointing Hughes or Weist or Foley interim coach. In fact, by doing so you probably guaranty that whomever you appoint won't be back next year under the permanent coach because they become more of a threat.

I agree with this but I'm not sure which timing is best -- before Rutgers (two weeks left) or before Memphis (one week left).

Making the change before RU essentially punts that game (Memphis is bad and another story entirely). Then again, every time I recall the clock mismanagement at the end of the first half last year at RU, I want to stab my eyes out, so...

Reaction Score
I posted this in the 2014 Staff Poll Thread:

Tell the entire staff he is out after the Rutgers game (Sunday 12/1) and that they are free to seek other employment opportunities, and that they will have a chance to interview with the new head coach like is done everywhere else. Start setting up your interviews ASAP. Hopefully you have your new coach by the end of the week of 12/16

You can push that time frame back a week and it would be right in line with how he replaced Hofher at UB.

Reaction Score
The reason coaches get fired with a week or two left is that that allows the schools to be one of the first ones in the door when the market opens to talk to coaches for next year. Except for a handful of people taking a year off, there is no one to talk to until we get to Thanksgiving, because they are all worried about this year and their current jobs.

I agree with this. On the other hand I have serious doubts about whether any of the current staff will be back next year anyway. Maybe Foley based on his rep and then maybe the recruiting coordinator to keep the current group on board, assuming you want to do that. I'd be shocked if a new coach kept Weist. OC and DC are the 2 jobs you usually want your own guys for under any circumstances. Other than Foley, maybe Hughes who I actually think is a pretty good line coach, I'm not so sure there is anybody who I would feel bad that we lost.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. On the other hand I have serious doubts about whether any of the current staff will be back next year anyway. Maybe Foley based on his rep and then maybe the recruiting coordinator to keep the current group on board, assuming you want to do that. I'd be shocked if a new coach kept Weist. OC and DC are the 2 jobs you usually want your own guys for under any circumstances. Other than Foley, maybe Hughes who I actually think is a pretty good line coach, I'm not so sure there is anybody who I would feel bad that we lost.
Time to load up the bus and send them packing...the only position coach who would have a shot at staying is Weist because of what he has done with wr's in such a short period of time (and his track record says this is his normal trend). There is NO WAY any hold overs from Edsall's staff remain after P is fired.

Reaction Score
The only reason to fire him now is because you actually think you can make your team better this year by doing so.

You are actually on the fence on whether or not we would be better off? P and Diddly Squat are choking the life out of the program. I'm 99% sure we would be better off. The return of Foley to OL coach alone...

"Hey Paul, Put Mack under the goal post and let him return the field goal, I bet it will work, we'll catch them by surprise. OK George good Idea".

The difference between doing it now or doing it with two games left is only 8 weeks, 8 weeks go by in a flash. There is no reason to wait.

Reaction Score

In normal circumstances, I agree with you. These are far from normal circumstances, however. We can until the 23rd, but I think the answer will be the same. He has to go.

Why? Because we don't have the luxury for even the next 2 months to appear that we have consigned competitiveness in D-1 football to the dust bin. We obviously have no intelligence on if and when the next CR will occur. It will come, however. We don't want to look like a football castaway when it happens. In addition, the longer he hangs around the more corrosive the impact on the program. He has had 2+ years and it has been a downward spiral. If nothing else, change would show we're serious and have the sense of urgency to right the ship.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if a new coach kept Weist.

Weist's status is one of the great, interesting wild cards in this situation. IMO he was an unofficial coach in waiting. If he came here without guarantees financial and otherwise about his future from Warde or without doing his due diligence on the Sunshine Boys and how resistant to change they are that's on him. There's no way anyone can be that naive to come here and let P/GDL torch their career

Reaction Score
Time to load up the bus and send them packing...the only position coach who would have a shot at staying is Weist because of what he has done with wr's in such a short period of time (and his track record says this is his normal trend). There is NO WAY any hold overs from Edsall's staff remain after P is fired.

Wholley?

Reaction Score
I'm as angry as all of you and I want my pound of flesh as well. But I can't see Manuel firing P with more than 2-3 games left on the schedule.

If you fire this guy now you run the risk of the coaching staff completely imploding. The whole staff will effectively become demotivated.

Secondly, as bad as PGDL is, everyone under them is probably working very hard. They deserve to finish with some dignity.

Warde is going to be quiet for a while and he is going to let some meaningful metrics happen, think 7 losses, think losing record in the AAC etc.. and then he can go to the President and everyone else and make his case.

The Warde we have seen is not impulsive. He waits, he monitors (lol) he doesn't give Ollie a multi year deal right after Ramstein etc...

Reaction Score
Again, I don't disagree. But even if he stays, which I doubt, Weist isn't going to be the Offensive coordinator. My guess is he doesn't stay either. It is pretty typical for a new head coach to clean house, but often they keep a guy from the old staff just for continuity. among the current staff, the only guy I could even vaguely see a new coach keeping is foley who had a great rep as an oline coach before he came to UConn and if anything it has been improved upon in comparison to the current occupant. Pasqualoni's decision to keep most of Edsall's staff was actually somewhat strange. Initially I chalked it up to the lateness of his hire but other than OC he really only made changes when guys left.

Reaction Score
I couldn't care less when Warde fires P as long as it's done and we're one of the first schools in the market.

Reaction Score
Weist's status is one of the great, interesting wild cards in this situation. IMO he was an unofficial coach in waiting. If he came here without guarantees financial and otherwise about his future from Warde or without doing his due diligence on the Sunshine Boys and how resistant to change they are that's on him. There's no way anyone can be that naive to come here and let P/GDL torch their career
rusky,
You've had a mancrush on Weist since he arrived on the scene. I can't imagine any possible way that even Warde would name a guy from a team that is as bad as this one looks to be as its new head coach. I just don't see it being feasible. As to why he took the gig, most of these guys have huge egos and I suspect that he did think that he could succeed. Beyond that, if you have head coach aspirations, spending time as a coordinator is almost a requirement. Final point is that while the improvement in the receiving corps is pretty obvious, I'm not sure you can say the same about the offense with a straight face. you and a few others seem to want to credit Weist every time a play succeeds and blame George every time one falls flat. I doubt it works like that.

Reaction Score
Again, I don't disagree. But even if he stays, which I doubt, Weist isn't going to be the Offensive coordinator. My guess is he doesn't stay either. It is pretty typical for a new head coach to clean house, but often they keep a guy from the old staff just for continuity. among the current staff, the only guy I could even vaguely see a new coach keeping is foley who had a great rep as an oline coach before he came to UConn and if anything it has been improved upon in comparison to the current occupant. Pasqualoni's decision to keep most of Edsall's staff was actually somewhat strange. Initially I chalked it up to the lateness of his hire but other than OC he really only made changes when guys left.
P was actually forced to keep the staff that didn't leave. I know this because of a conversation Lyndon Johnson had with Hathaway that he relayed to a former UCONN teamate/roomate/good friend that I know very well. Because of the date Edsall left the contracts for the staff had already been renewed (they worked on 1yr deals that rolled over unless they were going to be replaced..renewed in December). Hathaway told Lyndon he could only guarantee him one year at UCONN under P like the rest of the staff had been promised since they all had valid contracts. Hathaway basically forced the staff that stayed on P for his first year. That can't happen again...which is why I think they will be notified by 12/1 at the latest P will not be retained.

Reaction Score
Wholley?
He is the only other guy I would keep. I originally thought Buggs, Weist, and Wholley...but unless Buggs goes to back to dbacks coach I wouldn't he sad to see him go. I think Buggs, Weist, and Wholley are the 3 best recruiters on this staff hands down though.

Reaction Score
rusky,
You've had a mancrush on Weist since he arrived on the scene. I can't imagine any possible way that even Warde would name a guy from a team that is as bad as this one looks to be as its new head coach. I just don't see it being feasible. As to why he took the gig, most of these guys have huge egos and I suspect that he did think that he could succeed. Beyond that, if you have head coach aspirations, spending time as a coordinator is almost a requirement. Final point is that while the improvement in the receiving corps is pretty obvious, I'm not sure you can say the same about the offense with a straight face. you and a few others seem to want to credit Weist every time a play succeeds and blame George every time one falls flat. I doubt it works like that.

You have seen TJs resume and his accomplishments in the 21st century, right? A little more impressive that Uncle George's. Not cashiering TJ after two games. 1) don't think he's got full control of the offense and 2) he has a horrible offensive line coach.

As said way back in the spring, hiring Weist - the first coach to get between PP and GDL in 40-plus years - was a recipe for a Bill Stewart-Dana Holgorsen situation. In Gameweek 3 of the season, we may have arrived at that situation a lot quicker than anyone might have imagined. The "oil and water" thing posed elsewhere rings true.

Reaction Score
I agree that Deleone is AWFUL. Look up disaster in the dictionary and his picture is featured. But here are some of the other things I've seen in the last 2 games. A pretty predictable offense, an offense that essentially wastes any benfit from going no huddle by taking forever to get plays in. An offense that insists on throwing long with an offensive line that can't stop a band of old ladies in walkers. I guess I would need something more than idle speculation to believe that DeLeone is over ruling Weist.

Reaction Score
I agree that Deleone is AWFUL. Look up disaster in the dictionary and his picture is featured. But here are some of the other things I've seen in the last 2 games. A pretty predictable offense, an offense that essentially wastes any benfit from going no huddle by taking forever to get plays in. An offense that insists on throwing long with an offensive line that can't stop a band of old ladies in walkers. I guess I would need something more than idle speculation to believe that DeLeone is over ruling Weist.

Everything in bold happened last year (and the year before). I call it circumstantial evidence. Overruling might be too simplistic, but I can see this scenario GDL "suggests" something to P. .. . .P says to TJ "I'd like to try X this series" X, of course being same ol same ol GDL garbage. TJ modifies calls/strategery to accommodate P, when it reality he is accommodating GDL. You can't put anything past these guys. The phony demotion at Syracuse in 2004 when he continued to call the plays after being "demoted" as OC is Example No. 1.

Reaction Score
You have to allow the next coach to choose his own staff. If it means clearing house, then so be it. I don't want any mandates that he keep this guy or that guy. Big difference between hiring a coach in December vs. January. The one month is an eternity. The new coach will have time to fill out his staff.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This isn't about TJW versus GDL, this is (will be) about TJW versus the best candidates we can get in december. And before we go on and on about GDL or PP interfering with TJW's offense I want to see some definitive proof of that rather than rumor and conjecture. Not saying it's impossible, just want to see some evidence.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This isn't about TJW versus GDL, this is (will be) about TJW versus the best candidates we can get in december. And before we go on and on about GDL or PP interfering with TJW's offense I want to see some definitive proof of that rather than rumor and conjecture. Not saying it's impossible, just want to see some evidence.

This reminds of a bit from the Newhart show when (Bob) was hosting Vermont Today. The special guest was the World's Smallest Horse and it's owner.

Bob (to owner): How do you know he's the world's smallest horse?
Owner: Just look at him!

EDIT: The autocorrect actually deleted the characters real first name! LOL!

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
My questions to those of you who want Coach P fired now is which recruit do you really not care to lose? Which CT coaches would you risk alienating getting rid of Coach P now? I think we have some solid recruits but if we handle this incorrectly we risk pissing off the CT high school coaches. They will open up conversation with these kids and steer them another way if we don;t handle this the right way. Let Coach P keep GDL around and let them tie their own noose. Come last few weeks we should not be in that much better shape and we can let them go after Thanksgiving. That gives us plenty of time to get the right coach to make a hard sale to the recruits and get out name back out there in a positive manner. Losing recruits and a new staff would set us back even further.

Reaction Score
There may be something to the Weist is coach in waiting argument. I would not put it past Manuel.

People behind the scenes talk about younger up-and-comers, and this guy might be ramping up. And it's not only how UConn receivers are playing better than ever, it's also about his receivers at Cincy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom