Want to see our playbook? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Want to see our playbook?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Beats our offense of not long ago of pounding the ball into the floor for 20 seconds and then trying to go one on one. I remember some scout said we were the easiest team to scout. Danny has come a long way ! The carpenter .... as Rothstein says
That wasn’t said about a Hurley team. It was when Ollie was coach.

Reaction Score
Hurley is not going to the NBA. Do you think he wants to deal with clowns like Kyrie because some GM decided he wants him on his team? No. Hurley always talks about culture, NBA coaches don’t build a culture. They are at the mercy of a GM and front office. That’s not Dan Hurley’s style

Reaction Score
I want to know - who is the Offensive Coordinator of the staff? Because the offensive play calling/ set plays have been off the charts better than past years this year.

Some of it is players- but whose the guru? I thought Murray was known to be an offensive mind when we brought him in. Is it Kimani?

This is what I want to know. Must be Luke because he is the newest addition? We went from running a super simplistic offense to one of the most intricate. A lot of that is personnel and Cole being good in the pick and roll but certainly not all.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Have we learned nothing from Westdale High?

Never share the playobook!

stfu.gif

Reaction Score
Please don’t mention the NBA and Hurley, bad juju. People were call for Ollie to get an NBA job after he won the championship

Reaction Score
This is what I want to know. Must be Luke because he is the newest addition? We went from running a super simplistic offense to one of the most intricate. A lot of that is personnel and Cole being good in the pick and roll but certainly not all.

Luke is great at this stuff, but he’s worked with Dan before. It always has to be the right kind of talent mixed with the right kind of players and coaches to get what we’re seeing. Next year, if they end up having to rely too much on freshmen, it’s going to look different.

It’s like Rhode Island with Archie Miller this past season. He didn’t all of a sudden forget how to coach pack line defense. They just didn’t have the right people or the experience.

Reaction Score
Luke is great at this stuff, but he’s worked with Dan before. It always has to be the right kind of talent mixed with the right kind of players and coaches to get what we’re seeing.

It’s like Rhode Island with Archie Miller this past season. He didn’t all of a sudden forget how to coach pack line defense. They just didn’t have the right people or the experience.

Presumably there is a lot of stuff you can only run when you have a guy like Hawk

Reaction Score
That's not a playbook, it's a list a play names. I want to see the plays diagramed

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
and assuming every possession is an actual play.

Who is calling the plays, and how? I can see plays set up during a timeout, but I doubt every possession is planned out.
Dan calls out the vast majority of our plays from the sideline.

I'm not sure who constructed the new playbok for this season, but it's night & day from his first 4 years in charge so he must've had somebody in his ear. And if you want to know why there's NBA whispers, it's because of this:

That's an NBA-style shot chart.

We ran the best, most modern sets in all of college ball this season. Getting 20-year-old kids to buy into that is a hell of a coaching job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dan calls out the vast majority of our plays from the sideline.

I'm not sure who constructed the new playback for this season, but it's night & day from his first 4 years in charge. And if you want to know why there's NBA whispers, it's because of this:

That's an NBA-style shot chart.

We ran the best, most modern sets in all of college ball this season. Getting 20-year-old kids to buy into that is a hell of a coaching job.

No mid range shots for UConn. It's either Sanogo or a 3 point shot. That's crazy.

Reaction Score
Hurley did say in some interview right after he got the job that he would like to coach in the NBA someday, BUT that was before bringing us back to elite status and winning a national title. I think it would be very difficult for him to leave what he's built here.

Reaction Score
Yup.

Here's last year's chart for reference. Still very good, but not even in the same neighborhood as 2022/23:

Hurley and team really put it all together this year, it’s been extremely impressive to watch.

Reaction Score

Danny Hurley is the offensive coaching genius, check out his coaching record at three different stops and maybe learn about his hall of fame father and famous brother and his career as a point guard at Seton Hall.

It's Danny Hurley's show and we are lucky to have him as our coach.

What changed? The players got better and being healthy all season was a big factor. Hurley announced a year ago that he wanted to go back to the offense he ran at Rhode Island and needed to find shooters.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would be surprised if Hurley went to the NBA.
Really early on he talked about aspiring to that. I’m not at all sure that he would be a good fit.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Imagine if they had a point guard to run this stuff.
I thought our plan was to give it to Sanogo to deal with the full-court press? Isn't that what I saw happen repeatedly over the past three weeks?

Reaction Score
Bet Bob Hurley Senior ran many of those plays.

BTW, our in bounds plays still need some tweaking.

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley is the offensive coaching genius, check out his coaching record at three different stops and maybe learn about his hall of fame father and famous brother and his career as a point guard at Seton Hall.

What changed? The players got better and being healthy all season was a big factor. Hurley announced a year ago that he wanted to go back to the offense he ran at Rhode Island and needed to find shooters.

Hurley and our reality as UConn fans is incredible. And yet you still want to live in fantasy land.

Calhoun alluded to Danny being stubborn. Even Danny admits to making changes in philosophy. Watching Hurley through his first 15 years or so, he definitely had an archetype. Hurley is huge into personal development so maybe it was him that needed out.

Reaction Score
We went from running a super simplistic offense to one of the most intricate. A lot of that is personnel and Cole being good in the pick and roll but certainly not all.
Who is Cole?
Edit; never mind…RJ… thought you were talking about this years tram

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Imagine if they had a point guard to run this stuff.
Ironically enough, this stuff only works if there is no one PG. They run these actions for different guys. That's what's cool. Saw another coach saying it makes everything harder to defend that they will run those twist actions for Hawk, Alex, Joey, Alleyne, Newton. If you are focused on the player being a specific piece in the action, you just lost. It's wildly complex and I don't know how they do it really.

Reaction Score
Hurley did say in some interview right after he got the job that he would like to coach in the NBA someday, BUT that was before bringing us back to elite status and winning a national title. I think it would be very difficult for him to leave what he's built here.

I don't think Hurley has any intentions on leaving for another team or the NBA. He has a chance to become a legend here at UConn. There's too much low hanging fruit. The northeast and mid atlantic is fertile recruiting ground. He has the facilities. He'll be able to earn more through endorsements with a title.

The NBA has nothing for him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bet Bob Hurley Senior ran many of those plays.

BTW, our in bounds plays still need some tweaking.
Bob coached in a different era. A lot of this probably comes from Murray. These are very modern positionless basketball plays, nothing like what Bob ran back in the day.

Hurley always wanted to run this kind of offense, but you have to have certain interchangeable players to do it. This year we finally had it, once we figured out how to adjust Jackson.

caw

Reaction Score

He's pretty much said himself that he is a defense first coach and his assistants helped a lot building the of playbook. Though it's hard to tell how much he is building up his assistants for head coaching jobs and how much is true. It is a bit surprising the assistants didn't get a ton of interest this year.

Have to say Joey and Alleyne deserve a ton of credit when it comes to learning the playbook and running it so well.

However, watching it over the year, one of the things that annoyed me the most about people criticizing Newton, was watching the plays being run. He was pretty phenomenal running that offense all year as a first year in the system, and got a ton of crap for his play. The timing for those plays is super tight and between him and Jackson they did a fantastic job.

Reaction Score
None of this stuff is particularly complicated basketball. Honestly--it's pretty basic stuff. It needs to be for college kids to be successful running it. Most any decent high school coach could write up these plays. The Xs and Os is not what made this a great basketball offense.

Picking the sets that work for our personnel, and coaching up the kids to be fluid with our sets and know all the scoring options is what made us great. There are SO many teams that run a decent set, but the players aren't even looking to score. Our guys all have the green light to make a play after every touch, and seem to know what the reads and scoring options are. That is GREAT basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom