Walter Camp Player of the Year | The Boneyard

Walter Camp Player of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Junior, Arkeel Newsome (RB/Ansonia) was named the Walter Camp POY for the second consecutive year.

Ansonia returns four starters on a big, athletic O-Line. Two more big linemen, who were projected starters that missed 2012, return from injuries. Add in the return of starting FB, Saiheed Sanders and QB, JaiQuan McKnight....A third straight is not out of the question for Newsome, who will be primed to break the CT career rushing record.

Reaction Score
Ansonia's Newsome Named State's High School Football Player Of Year

By TOM YANTZ, tyantz@courant.com
The Hartford Courant
6:17 PM EST, January 12, 2013
NEW HAVEN —
advertisement​

One trademark of Arkeel Newsome's football career has been his ability to outrun and beat his competitors.
He finished first again Saturday.
Powered by his 2,245 rushing yards and 38 touchdowns last season for Ansonia, Newsome was named the Connecticut high school player of the year at the Walter Camp Breakfast of Champions.
"I'm so honored," he said. "I give all the credit to God and my teammates for this award."
The other two finalists were Xavier-Middletown quarterback Tim Boyle and Hand-Madison linebacker/fullback Matt Walsh.
Newsome capped his junior season by rushing for 234 yards and three TDs in Ansonia's 59-26 Class S title game win over North Branford last month.
Of all his dazzling, elusive runs, fueled by his 4.49 40 speed, Newsome said his best was a 64-yarder against North Branford.
"I went up the middle, and at that point I don't think anyone thought I could score with all the tacklers around me," he said at Anthony's Ocean View Restaurant. "I cut back and broke free. That it came in the final was even better."
Newsome, who weighed around 180 pounds last season, has started an off-season nutrition, workout plan in hopes of gaining 5 to 10 pounds.
Many colleges will watch his senior season. He said two of the schools he's interested in are Florida and UConn.

Reaction Score
Former Coach Jack Hunt of Ansonia awarded Walter Camp Lifetime Achievement Award.

Lets see if Paul can keep some home grown talent. Nice to hear he has us on a list with Fla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom