Walker's Tears and Family at ECU | The Boneyard

Walker's Tears and Family at ECU

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"The latest example came after UConn's first practice following its Christmas holiday break last Thursday. Walker's emotions got the better of her and left her in tears.

"It was just frustration," Walker said. "Not having my wind, not playing ... It's been tough."

This, from CDailey. "The hardest thing for kids is to adjust to the level of competition, the pace of play, the length of practice and the length of the season. It's totally different than what they are used to in high school. We probably already practiced this year more than she did all of last year in high school. You can't get better until you go through it, and she's just going through it."

Walker shows growth; UConn-ECU start time moved up to 2 p.m.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Do we ever hear stuff like this from other programs? I get that the kids "have to get thru it", and that the proof is in the pudding in years of UCONN success, but we constantly hear stories of elite recruits (starting with Lobo) calling home, crying, wanting to leave, etc etc. Do other programs go thru the same thing? I'll admit I don't follow any other program like I do UCONN so I have no idea if this is a common thing or not...

Reaction Score
Do we ever hear stuff like this from other programs? I get that the kids "have to get thru it", and that the proof is in the pudding in years of UCONN success, but we constantly hear stories of elite recruits (starting with Lobo) calling home, crying, wanting to leave, etc etc. Do other programs go thru the same thing? I'll admit I don't follow any other program like I do UCONN so I have no idea if this is a common thing or not...

Gee when I started college I called home crying saying I wanted to leave and I didn't even play basketball...................:rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'll admit I don't follow any other program like I do UCONN so I have no idea if this is a common thing or not...

No one follows other programs like we and the Horde remnant follow UConn. Somebody sneezes, we know. As Charlie implied, leaving home as a freshman is tough for a certain percentage - put the juggling of a major D1 sport in the equation and it's a strain.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Gee when I started college I called home crying saying I wanted to leave and I didn't even play basketball....:rolleyes:

I have three college degrees, and almost walked away from the completion of each one of them. Like @Charlieball, I wasn’t an athlete. I was just an insecure and lonely kid who had a few very strong talents and a few very weak ones.

Reaction Score
"The latest example came after UConn's first practice following its Christmas holiday break last Thursday. Walker's emotions got the better of her and left her in tears.

"It was just frustration," Walker said. "Not having my wind, not playing ... It's been tough."

This, from CDailey. "The hardest thing for kids is to adjust to the level of competition, the pace of play, the length of practice and the length of the season. It's totally different than what they are used to in high school. We probably already practiced this year more than she did all of last year in high school. You can't get better until you go through it, and she's just going through it."

Walker shows growth; UConn-ECU start time moved up to 2 p.m.
"We just feel comfortable with Megan, knowing what she can do as a player is really big because she is very talented," Samuelson said. "She'll continue to do big things for us. She can rebound but she can also score in different ways. Having that player you are confident is not going to hold you back and can step up and make big plays is important."\

So do I--she'll be a frosh from time to time--but she'll be one you can trust.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
but she'll be one you can trust.

I'm greedy and before conference is done I want at least 2 out of this very talented 4 pack who can be counted on to be steady contributors.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think I've had the flu three times in my life, possibly four. Once as a kid, which I don't remember that clearly, and twice as an adult. The first time it kicked my ass; I recovered my respiratory system pretty quickly, but it took a long time to get my energy back. The last time I got pneumonia and I'm sure if I'd taken one more day to see the doctor, I would have wound up in the hospital and possibly died. (I wasn't that old then, so not a compromised immune system.)

I don't doubt that Megan isn't bouncing back as quickly as she or the coaching staff would want. But I think they realize it's more important to get her fully healthy than to rush it.

Reaction Score
I'm greedy and before conference is done I want at least 2 out of this very talented 4 pack who can be counted on to be steady contributors.
Exactly!!! I see AEH at least being a contributor , then I have seen glimpses, I think geno too, with Mikylaa Coombs of a potentially good to great guard. I haven't seen anything, that I expected, from Touly or Alexi--then I'm not in practices.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Exactly!!! I see AEH at least being a contributor , then I have seen glimpses, I think geno too, with Mikylaa Coombs of a potentially good to great guard. I haven't seen anything, that I expected, from Touly or Alexi--then I'm not in practices.
Whenever I see Coombs I think of slightly toned down version of Bria Hartley if she is anywhere near Bria Hartley level by the time she graduates I would be thrilled.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think Coombs will be an outstanding guard before her sophomore season is over. KLS was ahead of Collier during their freshman season but Collier was just as good as a sophomore. I believe Coombs will be close to Walker her sophomore season. Yes, I believe she will be terrific once she "gets it".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Coombs will be an outstanding guard before her sophomore season is over. KLS was ahead of Collier during their freshman season but Collier was just as good as a sophomore. I believe Coombs will be close to Walker her sophomore season. Yes, I believe she will be terrific once she "gets it".
I really believe Coombs will be a key reserve this year. She looked good vs Duquesne, particularly on D. That earned her more PT vs Memphis, but she stumbled a little. Yesterday vs ECU was her best stint of the season in limited minutes IMO. Geno is looking for another guard for his rotation this year. I'm betting on Mikayla to fill that role once she gets her confidence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom