Walker Named AAC Player of the Week | The Boneyard

Walker Named AAC Player of the Week

Reaction Score
1575315203796.png

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – UConn women's basketball junior forward Megan Walker was tabbed the American Athletic Conference Player of the Week after leading the Huskies to two wins last week.

Walker had a career outing for UConn at Dayton on Tuesday, posting a 23-point, 12-rebound double-double in the Huskies' 75-37 win. She matched her career-high in boards and led all players in both scoring and rebounds, adding two assists and a block.

The Chesterfield, Va., native notched 19 points, eight rebounds and four assists in a 73-62 win over Ohio State last Sunday.

Walker shot 9-of-19 (47.4 percent) from the field and 4-of-6 (66.7 percent) from beyond the arc as the Huskies rose to 6-0 on the season.

The Huskies are back in action Thursday at Seton Hall at 6:30 p.m. on FS1.

[MORE]

Reaction Score
Congrats to her, she stepped up and responded to Geno's demands. This should be a confidence builder and the point we get to see a player reaching her blossom point. I think we see much more from her in the future even with CD back on the court.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Only Megan can decide...if she believes enough in herself to lead this team beyond being a strong contributor...When everything is going wrong Out on the floor, does she see herself imposing her will and taking over the game...She has the skills on both sides of the ball...Is that competitive attitude going to flourish this season with her...I have a strong feeling it will, she is playing well, got herself in great shape and best of all is finding her BB IQ has developed...She tends to be getting to the right places on the floor at the right time...Very Glad for Her!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Megan is in great shape and far more assertive this season, but the one thing I am most impressed with is her shooting stroke. While she became a better shooter in her sophomore season, her shot would sometimes flatten out resulting in cold spells from time to time. This season Megan’s release is consistently flawless whether shooting from the arc or mid-range. It’s a beautiful thing to watch.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Megan. While I'm thrilled at how well Megan is playing, I sort of don't pay attention to the AAC awards. I don't mean for this to sound arrogant, but not a single team has given UCONN much of a battle in the conference without resorting to nasty, overly aggressive play (with the possible exception of USF - have they ever come within 10 points of UCONN?).

I have no doubt we will leave the conference undefeated, and it will be a herculean task for any team in the new big east to beat UCONN in the next 5-6 years (if ever)... So really, if we are that much better than every other team in the conference, we should clean up on weekly and year end awards.

Reaction Score
Megan certainly has the talent to step up now and become the leader of this team, play like a first-team AA, and then we'll see how far we can go.

Geno had said many time that deep in the tournament, the winning team has someone step up, play great, and lead her team to victory. (My words, but Geno's idea.)

I sure hope she steps up big time.

We shall see.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting to observe her career. She is very low key, almost a silent assassin. She still seems reluctant to take over confidently- it’s coming. Her personality is diffident. She definitely is team oriented, as UCONN kids are, and I don’t think we’ve seen her full potential yet. I really like her attitude.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice article by Marc Anthony explaining why Megan is finally playiung like an All-American and hint, it isn't because she is just looking up at the NPOY banners at Storrs

“We’ve had a lot of national players of the year come in,” Auriemma said. “Some figure it out right away. ... It took Meg a little bit longer. The thing that Meg learned after two years was that anything really, really good that’s going to happen is because [the player has] to make it happen. It doesn’t just happen because you’re at Connecticut. You walk into this practice gym, you look up on the wall and you see all those names and go, ‘Oh, that’s why I came here, that’s going to be me.’

More comments by Geno in the article

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice article by Marc Anthony explaining why Megan is finally playiung like an All-American and hint, it isn't because she is just looking up at the NPOY banners at Storrs

“We’ve had a lot of national players of the year come in,” Auriemma said. “Some figure it out right away. ... It took Meg a little bit longer. The thing that Meg learned after two years was that anything really, really good that’s going to happen is because [the player has] to make it happen. It doesn’t just happen because you’re at Connecticut. You walk into this practice gym, you look up on the wall and you see all those names and go, ‘Oh, that’s why I came here, that’s going to be me.’

More comments by Geno in the article
Which Marc Anthony is now a sportswriter--the musician or the Roman? ;)

1575564088527.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom