Walker Has A Sneaky Bounce | The Boneyard

Walker Has A Sneaky Bounce

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just ask her!

"Actually I like the rebounds because I have a sneaky bounce and can jump real high."

"I thought I was more engaged. I was more focused, more locked in and ready to go."

"Me and coach had a conversation and it's going to be what you see going forward. I have to do the things that I know I can do and just play hard all the time and compete at everything. I have to want to get every rebound, get every steal I can, and not let anyone score on me. I have to have a competitive mindset."

Walker takes Auriemma's advice, takes action

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
$

Here there is a cool little video of Geno post-game about Kia and more of the same about Meg and this and that. Like: "Kyla only plays really good in Pennsylvania," Auriemma joked. "She had like 60 people come watch her play, so she put on a show for them. I was proud of her."

UConn Takeaways: Megan Walker Helps The Hobbling Huskies Take Another Step

Now I'm happy. Got something done. Oh, CAPTION THIS? Easy: Touch me, I kill you!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
LMOAO @pacific44! BTW, this photo of Kia confirms an impression I have acquired of late. Kia has never been anything but fit, but now she's absolutely ripped. Maybe she gave up the beloved Twizzlers, etc. and is eating at Gabby's training table.

Reaction Score
LMOAO @pacific44! BTW, this photo of Kia confirms an impression I have acquired of late. Kia has never been anything but fit, but now she's absolutely ripped. Maybe she gave up the beloved Twizzlers, etc. and is eating at Gabby's training table.
She totally is. I was at a game the other day and was able to get really close up before the game. She seems small when you're watching on TV or from back in the stands, but she is my height, solid muscle, looks like about zero % body fat, and much bouncier and athletic than I had in my mind. Definitely an elite athlete.

upload_2018-1-22_18-48-41.png

"Get your hands off me! Who do yo think you are - Diana Taurasi??"

Reaction Score
Geno is tough on the freshmen, but he made the time to sit down with Meg for a long talk to explain things. She got it.
Maybe he should’ve done that a month or so earlier. Might have had his 7th option a lot sooner.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe he should’ve done that a month or so earlier. Might have had his 7th option a lot sooner.
How do you know he or one of the other coaches didn’t?

Reaction Score
Just ask her!

"Actually I like the rebounds because I have a sneaky bounce and can jump real high."

"I thought I was more engaged. I was more focused, more locked in and ready to go."

"Me and coach had a conversation and it's going to be what you see going forward. I have to do the things that I know I can do and just play hard all the time and compete at everything. I have to want to get every rebound, get every steal I can, and not let anyone score on me. I have to have a competitive mindset."

Walker takes Auriemma's advice, takes action

Megan Walker--sneaky as she may be, has set lofty goals for herself. With the Coach and she having conversations--that's important. "I have to do the things that I know I can do" I hope Geno tells that to all the Frosh and Sophs. Give your maximum but live within yourself. Walker came to Uconn has a huge talent--showed that ONCE in a game where she played the whole game. She's not perfect, she has learning to do. But true talent will float to the surface --Megan is that kind of talent..
In terms of Sneaky; Geno has a lot of those sneaky kids-when I read KLS scored 19,20 30 point--I'd ask, how did that happen? That's because none hoot an howl or thump their chests after a score---they just play to win..
In early Geno---I remember him telling his team: After they score take the ball quickly down court and score while they are celebrating--it work(s)ed.

Reaction Score
Geno is tough on the freshmen, but he made the time to sit down with Meg for a long talk to explain things. She got it.
I don't believe everything Geno does is excellent nor am I thrilled with some of his methods. Of those I have not been a shrinking violet. But, too I believe I have been fair in defining Geno's compassion's and giving back and one on one successes.
However I am THRiLLED with his one on one coaching of Coombs and Walker--and yes Dangerfield during games. When a kid screws up or needs a touch of expertise --do it immediately --not the next day. When Geno teaches he is at his best.
With this and with Coombs coming of age--my worries for the end of the season are much less.

Reaction Score
She totally is. I was at a game the other day and was able to get really close up before the game. She seems small when you're watching on TV or from back in the stands, but she is my height, solid muscle, looks like about zero % body fat, and much bouncier and athletic than I had in my mind. Definitely an elite athlete.

View attachment 27969
"Get your hands off me! Who do yo think you are - Diana Taurasi??"
From your picture it would appear KIA has played against the best of the best and while not winning--held her own.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
How do you know he or one of the other coaches didn’t?

I agree, we absolutely do not know.

For all we know, he might have met with her then, and either she wasn't ready to hear it, or his planned spiel didn't take, so he went with plan B, or maybe a rerun of plan A but at a different time it worked.

Or maybe she lays an egg in Memphis and we saw a one-off game (not betting on that)

There's a lot of people, myself included, ho aren't thrilled about being part of the AAC but this is one of the few benefits. Only two more games where you might not be able or willing to use bench players - in the rest, you can try things, and if t doesn't work, there no serious danger of taking a loss.

Reaction Score
Gotta be the right time. When the player is ready.
I could disagree--but when kids get to Uconn their heads are spinning--too much too quickly to absorb. You have to live through some experiences before someone can explain what just happened.
So as much as I REALLY enjoy being your anti-Meyers7--I must agree with you on this.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know about the “sneaky” part, but clearly MW has a great vertical, second only to Gabby on the team; and let’s face it, Gabby has the best vertical in WBB.

Reaction Score
I agree, we absolutely do not know.

For all we know, he might have met with her then, and either she wasn't ready to hear it, or his planned spiel didn't take, so he went with plan B, or maybe a rerun of plan A but at a different time it worked.

Or maybe she lays an egg in Memphis and we saw a one-off game (not betting on that)

There's a lot of people, myself included, ho aren't thrilled about being part of the AAC but this is one of the few benefits. Only two more games where you might not be able or willing to use bench players - in the rest, you can try things, and if t doesn't work, there no serious danger of taking a loss.

No we do not know EITHER WAY---both ends may be true.
My take PHIL is: Let us be happy with small successes (for Walker, Coombs, Danger)
Top level players, and Geno rarely recruits less, like all good kids --if you can explain to them in words they understand--usually will try to deliver for you.
The hard part of UConn for a frosh is too much, academics,, too quickly too hard too physical--all thrust upon them at the same time. It is extremely difficult to work on EVERYTHING. I think the light went on for Walker and Coombs.

The AAC--is a great asset for Uconn. It provides a learning experience in real games for the Second string. Allows Uconn to heal wounds/recover. Some teams provide a tough game for at least a half.
If Uconn were in the ACC, with the walking wounded they have--I feel a loss or three in the next few weeks would be certain--so I'm thankful for the ability to work issues and recover in the AAC.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don’t know about the “sneaky” part, but clearly MW has a great vertical, second only to Gabby on the team; and let’s face it, Gabby has the best vertical in WBB.
I imagine she's talking about a quick jump.

Reaction Score
I think either can jump well too.
Sneaky Megan--you know she can score, maybe defend a little, who knew she'd sneak up under the basket and score or rebound so well--Geno teaches "sneaky". I knew she was a talent, but not so talented.

Reaction Score
She is " SILK " ! Meghan has all of the tools, and should become an all time UConn Great !

Reaction Score
Gotta be the right time. When the player is ready.

I agree. Ever see "Days of Thunder?" Sometimes you have to let them go around the track the way they want to so you can show the the difference between that, and the right way!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom