walker: Another transfer question | The Boneyard

walker: Another transfer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Last year Samerie played 17 of 30 regular season games, the last being on Jan 17 which is more than half a regular season. From what i understand, she will be playing at Kentucky in a week and will be able to play in more than half of the teams regular season games.

This seems similar to the Gatewood affair with Tennessee and Maryland, but I think SWG actually sat out an entire year and maybe even left before the Vols 16th game. . I assume that Walker will be a sophomore and have two more years of eligibility. Somehow this doesn't seem right considering she is returning much earlier in the season than when she left. Anybody have any insight about this?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe she left after the 1st semester, and is returning after the first semester. I assume the in-betweens don't count for NCAA.

Reaction Score
I am not sure on the actual ruling, but Walker is allowed to play starting in Jan.We wish her well........KTY has a fun team to watch and they might beat ND this week......Speed kills.....

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
I am not sure on the actual ruling, but Walker is allowed to play starting in Jan.We wish her well........KTY has a fun team to watch and they might beat ND this week......Speed kills.....

I thought I heard she will be activated for the ND game on Dec. 18. I am guessing this is because the semester is over.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I thought I heard she will be activated for the ND game on Dec. 18. I am guessing this is because the semester is over.
Think that's correct. The Fall semester ends 12/16.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Think that's correct. The Fall semester ends 12/16.
So it seems that she left last year after a new semester had started and is returning short of the one year transfer regulation. Something just doesn't seem right about this regarding how the rules are set up. Does anyone know if attending school for the summer semester can shorten the "one year " transfer rule? Regarding the semester calendar, Gatewood got in right before the bell regarding semesters overlapping when she left TN late in January and was enrolled at MD within the same week, but she didn't play for the Terps for a full calendar year.

The NCAA is more confusing and complex than the IRS.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So it seems that she left last year after a new semester had started and is returning short of the one year transfer regulation. Something just doesn't seem right about this regarding how the rules are set up. Does anyone know if attending school for the summer semester can shorten the "one year " transfer rule? Regarding the semester calendar, Gatewood got in right before the bell regarding semesters overlapping when she left TN late in January and was enrolled at MD within the same week, but she didn't play for the Terps for a full calendar year.

The NCAA is more confusing and complex than the IRS.

The NCAA's transfer rules are based on an academic calendar year, not an actual calendar year. The transfer rules require that Samarie spend an academic calendar year in residence before being eligible for competition. She transferred to Kentucky in time to enroll and register for classes in the Spring Semester at Kentucky. She completed that semester and, as of Dec 16 (end of the Fall semester) she will have completed an academic calendar year in residence at Kentucky. It doesn't matter that she will have played for two different schools within one calendar year.

Reaction Score
Samarie Walker becomes eligible when the first semester at Kentucky ends. She enrolled at Kentucky in time for the second semester, and for all we know, may have been pre-registered. there is absolutely no issue with overlap and summer school does not shorten the one year transfer rule. It does not have to be a strict calendar year. However, I do not know how it works for schools that use the quarter system.

Samarie Walker will be a sophmore this year eleigibility wise. She can choose to forgo this entire season, return next season and play the full season, also as a sophmore.
Ms Gatewood sat out two full semesters, as required, and saw her first action right before Christmas in Maryland's 13th game in the 2006-2007 season as a junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom