Wake Forest reimagines student tailgate scene | The Boneyard

Wake Forest reimagines student tailgate scene

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

I found this interesting as Wake had previously had a tough time getting students to show up for games.

Students returning to campus this fall found a vastly different scene at Truist Field. The tradition known as the DEACTOWN Student Tailgate now included a stage featuring music from a DJ, two bars and free fare from local food trucks, as well as new seating and eating areas. It was all part of the initiative the university launched to attract all students, including those who don’t typically attend football games.

The university also purchased tents, which student organizations can book to tailgate, and provided access to tables and chairs. In the past, student organizations were responsible for bringing their own tents, music, food and alcohol, as long as they followed Wake Forest’s social hosting guidelines, said Wilkinson.

“We wanted to really think about how we could take cost out of being a determining factor for students attending tailgates, as well as have a unified experience,” Wilkinson said.

Reaction Score
"two bars" "launched to attract all students"
-Sounds like either:
1. lots of students with fake I.D.'s
2. Flagrant disregard for proof of age
3. Oh hell, it's 5 o'clock somewhere, let's party!
I’m sure there is token wristband compliance, but that is the real draw. Come out and have your friend get you some beers and we will look the other way. We couldn’t do that because of the off campus situation and have drunk students crashing. It would be a total disaster.

Reaction Score
Part of it was also the tailgating experience was dominated by the fraternities, and the space wasn't that huge (not everyone has an abandoned airport field available). Half the kids on campus are greek, but the half that aren't felt they didn't have the same access to student tailgating.

I like what they did. That, and a successful year on the field, is bringing about 80%+ of the student body to the games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I sometimes think getting the students out of the woods and setting up something like this next to the stadium makes sense at Rentschler field. You’d have more energy right outside the stadium and I think it would help with getting students to the games.

Eliminate the buses arriving or leaving during the game and putting together some decent programmed activities here makes a lot of sense. The problem is, of course, for the students to be closer, some other people have to be bumped. (If you are worried about drinking and driving, make admittance linked to having a bus ticket.)

Reaction Score
Looks like a mini-spring weekend. Great idea! Lot's of people hang out at the tailgate as long as possible and start moving when the game is about to start, creating a bottle neck at the gates. This could bring tailgaters and non-tailgaters closer to the stadium sooner, and many of those people would probably go inside sooner. Plenty of room at The Rent for Huskytown. Won't you take me down to...

Reaction Score
That's an example of what I meant when I said I hoped that Mora's hire and the need to enhance the Rent would also be the catalysts for some overall tweaks in the whole game day experience--concessions, tailgating, stadium music, the team entrance and exit, etc. Let's class up the joint and raise the excitement level. We're literally re-imagining UConn Football.

Reaction Score
I sometimes think getting the students out of the woods and setting up something like this next to the stadium makes sense at Rentschler field. You’d have more energy right outside the stadium and I think it would help with getting students to the games.

Eliminate the buses arriving or leaving during the game and putting together some decent programmed activities here makes a lot of sense. The problem is, of course, for the students to be closer, some other people have to be bumped. (If you are worried about drinking and driving, make admittance linked to having a bus ticket.)
Wake kids have to drive to the stadium. Its a couple of miles from campus and connected by a very busy multi lane road with no sidewalks — most drive/take busses.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

This a low key issue. They set kids up a mile from the gate and expect them to make it into the game after 12 white claws?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That's an example of what I meant when I said I hoped that Mora's hire and the need to enhance the Rent would also be the catalysts for some overall tweaks in the whole game day experience--concessions, tailgating, stadium music, the team entrance and exit, etc. Let's class up the joint and raise the excitement level. We're literally re-imagining UConn Football.
I don’t hate your posts but I may block you just to not have to look at that ridiculous avatar.

Reaction Score
I don’t hate your posts but I may block you just to not have to look at that ridiculous avatar.
Ha! You obviously aren’t familiar with the logo of the Marblehead (MA) Magicians. Family lives there and all played for the Magicians, boys Football and girls Lacrosse and Field Hockey. BTW, this afternoon, MHS Football plays Westfield (MA) for a trip to the MA High School Super Bowl in Gillette Stadium on Dec 1st. I wouldn’t call that ridiculous.
586DFEEF-9749-4C89-B161-BE0B7E1AE3BD.jpeg 2B4965B4-97E1-4665-8E48-4D56C2EF36CE.jpeg

Reaction Score
Ha! You obviously aren’t familiar with the logo of the Marblehead (MA) Magicians. Family lives there and all played for the Magicians, boys Football and girls Lacrosse and Field Hockey. BTW, this afternoon, MHS Football plays Westfield (MA) for a trip to the MA High School Super Bowl in Gillette Stadium on Dec 1st. I wouldn’t call that ridiculous.
View attachment 71154 View attachment 71156
I always thought it was the next joker's card from the Insane Clown Posse.
maxresdefault.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom