Wake Fires Danny Manning | The Boneyard

Wake Fires Danny Manning

Reaction Score
He did a mediocre job when he was here coaching Tulsa. Wake was smitten by the name and his rep as a player. He is not head coaching material. Coaches always come to Tulsa thinking it's going to be the springboard to something bigger: Buzz Peterson, Steve Robinson, Doug Wojcik. It only worked out for Bill Self.

Reaction Score
It’s surprising Wake has been so bad for so long. They’re in the heart of ACC and college basketball territory, they should at least be a decent team.

I like what @Storrs South said about if Ismael Wassoud he ends up transferring. Watched a few of his high school games, the kid can score the rock. Little surprised he didn’t get some more run this past season, maybe someone more tuned into Wake could explain why. But a guy worth poaching for sure, he’s a higher upside Polley. Watching a few of his HS games, he’s got a little bit of Rashard Lewis in him. He’s a name I’ll be lookin out for these next few weeks.

Reaction Score
Isaiah Mucius Wouldn’t be a bad guy to reach out to if he transfers. Being from New York. He put up some good numbers at the end of the year as a sophomore

Reaction Score
Isaiah Mucius Wouldn’t be a bad guy to reach out to if he transfers. Being from New York. He put up some good numbers at the end of the year as a sophomore
Also Ismael Massoud, who played with Bouk & Springs at Macduffie. 3 years of eligibility and would get a waiver right away because coach was fired.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Also Ismael Massoud, who played with Bouk & Springs at Macduffie. 3 years of eligibility and would get a waiver right away because coach was fired.

He’s definitely intriguing.

Sarr would be The real prize. But obviously no evidence he’s even considering leaving.

Reaction Score
Totally forgot he was there, Wake has been pretty irrelevant since Chris Paul and Justin Gray.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
They owe him about $15 million so maybe they pulled off the band-aid before counting to three?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Baby Deac posted "DM will apparently contest it. Should be interesting to hear how he was actually good at his job"...

Um... being bad at his job has no bearing on the legality of his contract or whether the firing for cause is justified. They needed to read up on a few threads on the BY to get their facts straight... We have been going thru this for a while now with Ollie.

At least a few posters wrote things like "Has a program not had to pay a buyout because the coach just sucked?? I'd love to hear these arguments." and "A quick look at some law review articles on the topic show there are at least three normal provisions in a for cause termination section: 1) material breach of a contractual provision without remedy in a set time period 2) NCAA violation 3) criminal conduct. "

Reaction Score
He did a mediocre job when he was here coaching Tulsa. Wake was smitten by the name and his rep as a player. He is not head coaching material. Coaches always come to Tulsa thinking it's going to be the springboard to something bigger: Buzz Peterson, Steve Robinson, Doug Wojcik. It only worked out for Bill Self.
Tubby Smith and Nolan Richardson didn’t do too bad for themselves

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
And Nolan Richardson of course.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Que the debate:

lol. This thread is gold because it’s basically seeing how another university and fan base handle the exact same situation we were in. My guess is that they won’t be as kind to their former coach as we were. They are already bad mouthing him up and down and they haven’t even made it to the phase where the discrimination stuff gets brought up in court documents.

Reaction Score
How many of these former star players become big time coaches? I believe John Wooden is the only person who is a Hall Of Famer as a player, and a college coach. Yet schools continue this nonsense.

Reaction Score
Tulsa's been the best springboard job ever. Three former Tulsa coaches with National Championships. Can any school match that?

Reaction Score
Still just speculation but Bossi mentions Isaiah Mucius as a possible transfer. Had a UConn offer from the previous staff and Kimani Young recruited him at Minnesota

Reaction Score
Still just speculation but Bossi mentions Isaiah Mucius as a possible transfer. Had a UConn offer from the previous staff and Kimani Young recruited him at Minnesota

Massoud makes sense, but Mucius I don’t see a fit for. Not enough skill, and not a banger either. Don’t really even see how he’s any better than Sid Wilson.

Reaction Score
Massoud makes sense, but Mucius I don’t see a fit for. Not enough skill, and not a banger either. Don’t really even see how he’s any better than Sid Wilson.
Agreed, Massoud would definitely be my preference between the 2. Mucius seems less interesting the more I look

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I dug into massoud. His ranking fluctuated a lot in recruiting. Still top 150, as high as like 72 iirc. Frankly the number is more about tiers as each class has a different level of strength to it. But he stepped up and did decent in limited action.

Reaction Score
I dug into massoud. His ranking fluctuated a lot in recruiting. Still top 150, as high as like 72 iirc. Frankly the number is more about tiers as each class has a different level of strength to it. But he stepped up and did decent in limited action.
I wasn’t a big fan in HS, but he’s proven he can shoot and he’s a better rebounder than I ever thought he’d be already. If you can shoot 40%+ from 3 and be an 18%+ DR guy, you’re a player.

At this point their rankings mean nothing to me. Mucius is someone who underperformed relative to his ranking throughout HS and now in the NCAA too. As you said, Massoud was in the low 4 star/high 3 star tier and has at least shown himself to have some plus usable traits. Easy decision as to who’s more valuable IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom