Waiting for the Gamecocks | The Boneyard

Waiting for the Gamecocks

Reaction Score
The last two games have been inspiring. The matchup against South Carolina will, however, largely determine whether the Huskies are a 1 or 2 seed.

Against a St. John’s team that looked better than its record (how about Leilani Correa!), the team was without three of its most experienced players - Anna Makurat, Christyn Williams, and Aubrey Griffin (except for a couple of minutes). Arguably it put its strongest five on the floor, one consisting of two juniors and three freshmen. The team moved, passed, and rebounded much better with a lineup of ONO, Edwards, Westbrook, Muhl, and Bueckers. The three freshmen starters all set personal scoring records (32, 22, and 11) and scored 69% of the team’s total of 94 points. When one adds the contributions of McLean (7) and Chasson (3) the total reaches 80%. Both are surely unprecedented numbers and we are seeing the bright future. We all knew that Paige was an All-American before these games and the fact that she is shooting more often is what the team needs. Edwards provides the big body inside that the Huskies have lacked for several years and Muhl provides ball handling skills that frees Bueckers up to shoot more. She reminds me of Jen Rizzotti as she charges up the floor. The three frosh also bring a dimension to the team that has been lacking for the last couple of years - toughness.

The one downer was the inability of the team to stop Leilani Correa (33 points), although most of her scoring occurred after the game was no longer in doubt. This is the second time in three games that the Huskies have seemed helpless against quick, high scoring guards. Muhl is turning into the player that I hoped she would become and, as at least one other contributor has also noted, reminds one of Jen Rizzotti, in particular the way she looks when dashing with the ball up the court. Olivia Nelson-Odoba played pretty well with her shot making away from the basket, but will it be effective against the Gamecocks and can she at least partially neutralize Aliyah Boston?

The match on the road against a good Marquette team provided another marker for the young team, one that the Huskies won 87-58. Nothing really new to report. Good games by Bueckers, Muhl, and Edwards, good defense particularly in first half, first points by Poffenbarger, and o.k game by Williams who had the good game except for zilch from 3-point line.

Questions for Monday. Will Williams and ODO play effectively? Will Williams stop standing around looking to shoot 3-pointers and drive towards the basket? Can ONO and Edwards keep out of foul trouble. Can Muhl shoot well enough to take pressure off Bueckers and will the Gamecocks devise a plan to neutralize her? Box and one? Will Boston have her way inside or can the Huskies double team her enough to reduce her effectiveness or play good enough defense to prevent her from getting a touch on every trip up the floor?

I have no clue what will happen on Monday night against what is probably the best team in the nation. A number of things will have to go right for the Huskies to triumph - a solid inside game, Bueckers having another All-American performance, continued tough play by Muhl, and decent games from Williams and Nelson-Odoba.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah has to play important minutes, so I hope she's not hurt. Hated seeing that.

Reaction Score
I think other players have shown enough that if CW stands around or aimlessly shoots 3, or is poor defensively Geno will sit her. Other players have improved enough that they can take those minutes if CW isn’t productive. The lineup of nika, E, Paige, ONO and AE looked the best 5 tonight

Reaction Score
Edwards needs to be 100% back from the shot in the face she received tonight (as I feel Oliva will get beat up badly in the post against Boston); Evina Westbrook needs to have a stellar game, and Aubrey Griffin needs to be 100% healthy and play meaningful minutes AND "Contribute" for UCONN to be able to defeat South Carolina

Reaction Score
Edwards needs to be 100% back from the shot in the face she received tonight (as I feel Oliva will get beat up badly in the post against Boston); Evina Westbrook needs to have a stellar game, and Aubrey Griffin needs to be 100% healthy and play meaningful minutes AND "Contribute" for UCONN to be able to defeat South Carolina
Paige will have them dialed in

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
...(as I feel Oliva will get beat up badly in the post against Boston) ...
Please see my detailed discussion of this urban legend in the other thread about last year's UConn-South Carolina game. Liv did NOT get dominated by Aaliyah Boston in that game -- in fact, they played about evenly in all statistical categories. I see no reason why that should not happen again on Monday. And, as has been pointed out, our own Aaliyah will be a new factor in this year's game. Geno seemed confident that she will play on Monday ("she's Canadian ..."), and I think he is right.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Please see my detailed discussion of this urban legend in the other thread about last year's UConn-South Carolina game. Liv did NOT get dominated by Aaliyah Boston in that game -- in fact, they played about evenly in all statistical categories. I see no reason why that should not happen again on Monday. And, as has been pointed out, our own Aaliyah will be a new factor in this year's game. Geno seemed confident that she will play on Monday ("she's Canadian ..."), and I think he is right.
right on.... it's incredible how some of you build up s.carolina like some dreeadnought.

i don't know how the game will go .... could be close .... could be a laugher either way --- who's hot who's cold who's sick who's lucky etc etc etc. if huskies play A game, i like their chances a WHOLE lot. but, ya know ,,, there's that if.

but, geez, there ain't a big bad wolf comin to to town. get a grip

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I'm glad the SC game is not on Sunday.......I could not handle that and the Super Bowl on the same day.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
The last two games have been inspiring. The matchup against South Carolina will, however, largely determine whether the Huskies are a 1 or 2 seed.

Against a St. John’s team that looked better than its record (how about Leilani Correa!), the team was without three of its most experienced players - Anna Makurat, Christyn Williams, and Aubrey Griffin (except for a couple of minutes). Arguably it put its strongest five on the floor, one consisting of two juniors and three freshmen. The team moved, passed, and rebounded much better with a lineup of ONO, Edwards, Westbrook, Muhl, and Bueckers. The three freshmen starters all set personal scoring records (32, 22, and 11) and scored 69% of the team’s total of 94 points. When one adds the contributions of McLean (7) and Chasson (3) the total reaches 80%. Both are surely unprecedented numbers and we are seeing the bright future. We all knew that Paige was an All-American before these games and the fact that she is shooting more often is what the team needs. Edwards provides the big body inside that the Huskies have lacked for several years and Muhl provides ball handling skills that frees Bueckers up to shoot more. She reminds me of Jen Rizzotti as she charges up the floor. The three frosh also bring a dimension to the team that has been lacking for the last couple of years - toughness.

The one downer was the inability of the team to stop Leilani Correa (33 points), although most of her scoring occurred after the game was no longer in doubt. This is the second time in three games that the Huskies have seemed helpless against quick, high scoring guards. Muhl is turning into the player that I hoped she would become and, as at least one other contributor has also noted, reminds one of Jen Rizzotti, in particular the way she looks when dashing with the ball up the court. Olivia Nelson-Odoba played pretty well with her shot making away from the basket, but will it be effective against the Gamecocks and can she at least partially neutralize Aliyah Boston?

The match on the road against a good Marquette team provided another marker for the young team, one that the Huskies won 87-58. Nothing really new to report. Good games by Bueckers, Muhl, and Edwards, good defense particularly in first half, first points by Poffenbarger, and o.k game by Williams who had the good game except for zilch from 3-point line.

Questions for Monday. Will Williams and ODO play effectively? Will Williams stop standing around looking to shoot 3-pointers and drive towards the basket? Can ONO and Edwards keep out of foul trouble. Can Muhl shoot well enough to take pressure off Bueckers and will the Gamecocks devise a plan to neutralize her? Box and one? Will Boston have her way inside or can the Huskies double team her enough to reduce her effectiveness or play good enough defense to prevent her from getting a touch on every trip up the floor?

I have no clue what will happen on Monday night against what is probably the best team in the nation. A number of things will have to go right for the Huskies to triumph - a solid inside game, Bueckers having another All-American performance, continued tough play by Muhl, and decent games from Williams and Nelson-Odoba.

And Williams being willing to pass the ball to Paige. I've noticed this several times.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for this game!! Two well coached programs. One team playing for national level respect while the other team is trying, lead by a freshmen sensation, get back to the mountain top. South Carolina is playing with a chip on their shoulders and that is always dangerous. Should be classic.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Ododa.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The problem is the eye test. We haven't beaten anyone good yet. There are about 5 ranked teams in the Pac12, so loses to good teams by a small margin is a better test than not playing any at all. This is our only chance to show that we are a #1 seed.

Reaction Score
I was having trouble remembering last year's game, just remembered we lost. So I watched it, or at least the first 10 minutes. That was all I could take. It all came back, 2 points in the whole quarter. It was not Liv, or Meg or Crystal who got hammered. Their stats were passable. Boston did not put up super numbers. But Anna was 0 for 5 and Chrystin was 2 for 13. We just were not ready for 20,000 screaming fans who hated us.

Reaction Score
1st or second seed doesn’t matter this year.
No geography factors in the Texas Bubble.
I believe both teams will be Top 8 when the smoke clears.

Reaction Score
This is already my favorite UConn team, ever. I just love how they play together, it's like watching the Globetrotters at times. I used to avoid watching blowouts, but the choreography is just so good that I enjoy every minute. Looking forward to SC and the NCAA's. And to three more years of these freshmen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom