waiting for Hurley to get tough | Page 2 | The Boneyard

waiting for Hurley to get tough

Reaction Score
Hurley has said in the past that he's hard on players in practice but isn't during the games. That's his style.

We can't ask every coach that comes in here to be Calhoun. Hurley needs to stay true to himself. Emulating a different coaches style isn't going to help. Pretending to be someone else is how you lose your team. Whether that's at work or coaching a team.
Let’s hope his “true to his self” includes a style called winning.

Reaction Score
My biggest issue with Coach is his constant tinkering with the starting lineup. Its mid February and he's still switching players in and out of the lineup and then starts mixing up the rotations (no 6th, 7th, or 8th man.

I know some of its dictated on who's playing well and practice but his roster is what it is. Switching out Cole for Gaff, Polley for Adams for Polley may seem justified, but what impact does the uncertainty and inconsistency have on his players. More importantly how can they gel and play well together with so many changes?

I want to see a constant starting 5 with his best players and roll with them. Then substitute the best 6th man, then best 7th man and so forth. And adjust only for foul situations or if the game necessitates a guard or a big. Let the same crew grow, learn and develop with one another.

Just saying field 'the team' and then enhance or correct it as the game flows and stop with the game to game opening changes. Not every young player adjusts well to uncertainties with their playing time/schedule. This leads to fear of making mistakes, and a lot of unwillingness to take shots thinking if they miss they will be on the bench. Its like watching safety ball or defensive ball (while on offense).
Stick with a pat lineup even if it’s clearly not working?? That’s gotta be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard on this forum, which is saying quite a lot. I’m glad he’s trying to make changes because some things clearly haven’t been working (see Adams, Brendan). Now some of his in game moves and lack of adjustments, that’s another whole story.

Reaction Score
He needs to watch and learn from Calhoun tapes. Those who do not perform, sit.

Too much buddy-buddy with his players. These players need a father figure, not a brother.
Continue your refugee status. Please.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I believe Hurley can do the job as soon as he realizes that he is not at a mid-major anymore. He must demand more if UCONN is to return to the elite. He knows how to get players and how to put an organization together. I think the problem is that at a Rhode Island, you get second tier players who are hungry- see for example his transfers from Howard and URI = motivated players. At UCONN your recruits been pampered because they were better than those around them. You can't pamper players if you want to elevate them. Calhoun and Auriemma proved that. Get tough with your best.
So much Yikes here.
Tough to read your posts in this thread and think that you've been watching the games, charting the progress of the higher level recruits, and keeping track of injuries.

What team do you root for?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hurley: Life ain't no easy ride at least that's what I am told. Sometimes the rainbow, boys, is better than the pot of gold. You've got to stick it out whether you're wrong or right. And you can't give in without a fight to make it, boys!!

You gotta cry tough!
Out on the streets!
To make your dreams happen.
You gotta cry out!
Out to the world!
To make them all come true."
And don't touch your face.

Reaction Score
So much Yikes here.
Tough to read your posts in this thread and think that you've been watching the games, charting the progress of the higher level recruits, and keeping track of injuries.

What team do you root for?
All UCONN since 1963 when I was there. In time, you will learn that my comments are right on the money.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He needs to coach the PGs and develop an offense. A little late to the party coach.

Reaction Score
Fact: We are losing. Why?: all theories.
You're changing the subject now. We're not talking about winning and losing. Your theory that Hurley is buddy buddy with the players is BS. He is the HC not their buddy. Try staying on the topic YOU started.

Reaction Score
He needs to watch and learn from Calhoun tapes. Those who do not perform, sit.

Too much buddy-buddy with his players. These players need a father figure, not a brother.
Did you see Hurley scream at Martin after that stupid pass?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
All UCONN since 1963 when I was there. In time, you will learn that my comments are right on the money.
You don't make it easy.

I attended my first UConn game in the spring of 1963, possibly a semester before your first game.

I'd like to be respectful of the duration of your fandom, but beyond that, I don't see how what you have written stands up to a close look.

It doesn't seem worth arguing in detail, and you surely haven't persuaded me to think otherwise, so I'll leave you to your confidence that time will prove your thoughts as right on the money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom