Wait a dad gum minute | The Boneyard

Wait a dad gum minute

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive got to change these negitive threads. Listen we are not invicible like in the past. We dont have 2-4 AA's starting. We are very talented with 4 top 10 high school AA's. We need to iron out the wrinkles and we will be fine. Its gonna take time and not happen overnight so be patient and relax and watch this team develop. What we've got is two players who will score like AA's Williams and Walker. Dangerfield is coming of an injury and operation. She will be fine give her some time. ONO is a double double and will become a monster scorer in due time. Now we need to get some production out of our 5th and 6th starters. Yeah they seem a little overwhelmed and imo thats because the game is to fast. We were up by alot again. I think 26 and let them back in..instead of like some of our past super teams full of AA's blowing them out by 40. This isnt that type team........yet. It will be in time and we need to be patient. Hey we can lose to anybody and beat anybody right now. Hey a few weeks ago many fans thought we were top 3 and a few months ago many fans thought we didnt have a starting five. Tonite: We did look really good tonite at times and at times we didnt. One thing we have is alot of talent and that talent will develop over time, thats right over time not over night. Give it time. The bottom line is we played two not highly ranked teams and won. Thats a positive. If we played Oregon we may not have won. Thank Geno for setting up the schedule the way he did. We are not a terrible team in WCBB terms but in UConn terms we are spoiled by our teams being invicible. This team is not invicible. It may get there by the end of the year but we're not there yet. We have the roster to be really really good and as we develop we will be, and how long will that take? It will take as long as it will take. We cant know how long it will take. It will take time. So get used to it and be patient and be most importantly supportive and most importantly be positive. This is a team with alot of top 10 players with more coming in over the next 2 seasons. We will be invicible again so stick by this team until they come around it will take time.

From what I saw tonite when we looked good we were really good and when Vandy turned it up with CD on the bench and ONO on the bench and CW on the bench everybody else looked for someone to score instead of them looking to score. Dangerfield will come around give her some time to get back into it. ONO is doing just fine and at some point will turn into a scoring machine to compliment her shot blocking. We need Makurat Irwin Griffen and Adebayo to become scorers. Not necessarily shooters but take it to the hoop make some moves, make some cuts and not look to Walker and Willams to do it, they have to do it and do it and do it and do it until they become scorers. It will happen and Geno will drill them in practice until it happens.

Be happy we are playing lower ranked teams because in some of your opinons you think we could be 0-2 instead of 2-0. I learned alone time ago. Always be positive. Always be positive, because no body wants to listen to a dull disalousioned crybaby. Come on guys we are ranked 4th in the country with 4 players who are top 10 or better out of high school. Give them some time to get it together and then lets talk about how the kids coming in the next 2 years are going to get playtime. We are not an average and ordinary team we are a very good team . The problem some fans are having is we are used to and invincilbe team that blows out every other team in WCBB. Think about it. We won how many games by double digets???? Yeah we are not that team this season. I like to think we will be back there over the next few years with the recruits we have coming in. NO team has what we have had or what weve recruited and will have. Geno is a winner in every sense of the word. He's not perfect but he is a winner and he never ever gives up. When you have a leader who leads there is no turning back.

Reaction Score
Yes Tonyc I agree 100% with you! There is a load of talent on this roster! Not getting Westbrook eligible hurts but there still is a load of "winners" being coached by the best women's College BB coaching staff in Division I!
Most of the Division I coaches would sell their souls to have what UCONN has on it's roster!
It is important to keep everyone free from injuries and sickness, and if they do they'll come through in crunch time in March and April!

Reaction Score
Thanks Tony. I was a little shocked when I read the chat thread. These players need time to develop. Any shortcomings are not for lack of trying. Yes, we have been very spoiled and are fortunate that we have a good class coming in. This situation with Evina is not helping, but we have to live with the NCAA’s unfair decision.

Reaction Score
Good job Tony, I like what you said. But in a nutshell, they did play poorly and there is room for improvement. My only hope is they don't tire themselves out and no one gets hurt. I still have not gotten over the Evina decision.

Reaction Score
Tony, I do not disagree with your take, I just worry about the minutes being logged by the core 4. We have been fortunate these past few years with injuries given the lack of depth. Liv is probably the one we most need on the court. Our defense allows too many drive byes but then Liv helps to clean it up with a block or alter their shot. We have no one to replace her size.... thanks for the therapy session as always

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thanks TonyC. I had considered posting a similar thread. It is unfortunate that the greatest program in the history of WBB can never meet the expectations of some of its fans. Right now UConn is going through a period of adjustment and will undoubtedly be better by the end of the season. But over the years Geno has spoiled us with teams that hit the ground running laying waste to every team they face. This is not going to be one of those teams.

P.S. I made a decision several years ago to stay out of the Chat Room, thereby improving my disposition and lowering my blood pressure.

Reaction Score
At the risk of tossing cold water onto the always-optimistic Tony, I think the truth lies somewhere between his position and total doom and gloom. I mean, come, on Tony, really? "If we'd played Oregon, we might not have won." Ya think?
Just some random thoughts about last night:
Walker: She's the star unless someone really improves. Love that 3 pointer from the deep corner.
Christyn: Has her moments, but when she disappears, like she did during the second half last night, she really disappears.
ONO: Definitely stronger than before, and a force on defense, but capable of throwing up some clankers at times. Holding the ball as low as she does is not going to help when she's in with better competition. And dunking? Good grief! Let her get the fundamentals down.
Makurat: I'm hoping she's just a few more games away from being the real deal. Shows a lot at times and never really looks bad.
Dangerfield: Good but not great. There'll be nights when she'll be great,. but I don't know if she can be relied on to be that good every time the team needs someone in the clutch.
Aubrey: I just haven't seen enough to justify the rave reviews I've heard on the BY. I sure hope you guys are right, because the team needs another athletic player.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Ive got to change these negitive threads. Listen we are not invicible like in the past. We dont have 2-4 AA's starting. We are very talented with 4 top 10 high school AA's. We need to iron out the wrinkles and we will be fine. Its gonna take time and not happen overnight so be patient and relax and watch this team develop. What we've got is two players who will score like AA's Williams and Walker. Dangerfield is coming of an injury and operation. She will be fine give her some time. ONO is a double double and will become a monster scorer in due time. Now we need to get some production out of our 5th and 6th starters. Yeah they seem a little overwhelmed and imo thats because the game is to fast. We were up by alot again. I think 26 and let them back in..instead of like some of our past super teams full of AA's blowing them out by 40. This isnt that type team........yet. It will be in time and we need to be patient. Hey we can lose to anybody and beat anybody right now. Hey a few weeks ago many fans thought we were top 3 and a few months ago many fans thought we didnt have a starting five. Tonite: We did look really good tonite at times and at times we didnt. One thing we have is alot of talent and that talent will develop over time, thats right over time not over night. Give it time. The bottom line is we played two not highly ranked teams and won. Thats a positive. If we played Oregon we may not have won. Thank Geno for setting up the schedule the way he did. We are not a terrible team in WCBB terms but in UConn terms we are spoiled by our teams being invicible. This team is not invicible. It may get there by the end of the year but we're not there yet. We have the roster to be really really good and as we develop we will be, and how long will that take? It will take as long as it will take. We cant know how long it will take. It will take time. So get used to it and be patient and be most importantly supportive and most importantly be positive. This is a team with alot of top 10 players with more coming in over the next 2 seasons. We will be invicible again so stick by this team until they come around it will take time.

From what I saw tonite when we looked good we were really good and when Vandy turned it up with CD on the bench and ONO on the bench and CW on the bench everybody else looked for someone to score instead of them looking to score. Dangerfield will come around give her some time to get back into it. ONO is doing just fine and at some point will turn into a scoring machine to compliment her shot blocking. We need Makurat Irwin Griffen and Adebayo to become scorers. Not necessarily shooters but take it to the hoop make some moves, make some cuts and not look to Walker and Willams to do it, they have to do it and do it and do it and do it until they become scorers. It will happen and Geno will drill them in practice until it happens.

Be happy we are playing lower ranked teams because in some of your opinons you think we could be 0-2 instead of 2-0. I learned alone time ago. Always be positive. Always be positive, because no body wants to listen to a dull disalousioned crybaby. Come on guys we are ranked 4th in the country with 4 players who are top 10 or better out of high school. Give them some time to get it together and then lets talk about how the kids coming in the next 2 years are going to get playtime. We are not an average and ordinary team we are a very good team . The problem some fans are having is we are used to and invincilbe team that blows out every other team in WCBB. Think about it. We won how many games by double digets???? Yeah we are not that team this season. I like to think we will be back there over the next few years with the recruits we have coming in. NO team has what we have had or what weve recruited and will have. Geno is a winner in every sense of the word. He's not perfect but he is a winner and he never ever gives up. When you have a leader who leads there is no turning back.
Ok Missing layups is NG especially by non freshman

Reaction Score

Geno was up by 27 the end of the game was determined. He had Adebayo, Griffin, Anna, williams and Walker iin the game. They went after the frosh, as any "down" coach should do. Geno wanted them to learn to work themselves out of the hole they were digging. LEARNING Geno gave them a chance to learn.

Big plusses came out of this game;
1. GRIFFIN --scored and rebounded she is no longer a HS player\\
2. Anna---Took a few 3's , missed them, but showed she can shoot them. Her defense and rebounding was good, better, best (pick the time in the game), she is big and mobile. The Geno system is hard to learn
3. Olivia-- Showed she can and did protect the basket and showed she can score. Give her time she'll be the Div One AA you all want.
4. When the scoring for Uc dried up--Williams took over and scored 13 points easily and quickly. You want and AA take a look there she is.
5. Walker, Megan--when the going gets tough this tough kid gets going. For most of the game she was MS EVERYTHING.
6. Dangerfield--it is obvious she isn't over her surgery or it isn't over her. She played through pain and mental distress and delivered. Want one more AA---look again.
Geno knew this game was wrapped up and he tested his team. To me, for the most part they proved they are UcONN HUSKIES OF THE OLD MOLD. Every game has negatives or positives, a lot of positives in this one.
If you follow @Tonyc , @oldude and a few other REAL Uconn fans you'll see an honest appraisal and a positive bent foR UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the risk of tossing cold water onto the always-optimistic Tony, I think the truth lies somewhere between his position and total doom and gloom. I mean, come, on Tony, really? "If we'd played Oregon, we might not have won." Ya think?
Just some random thoughts about last night:
Walker: She's the star unless someone really improves. Love that 3 pointer from the deep corner.
Christyn: Has her moments, but when she disappears, like she did during the second half last night, she really disappears.
ONO: Definitely stronger than before, and a force on defense, but capable of throwing up some clankers at times. Holding the ball as low as she does is not going to help when she's in with better competition. And dunking? Good grief! Let her get the fundamentals down.
Makurat: I'm hoping she's just a few more games away from being the real deal. Shows a lot at times and never really looks bad.
Dangerfield: Good but not great. There'll be nights when she'll be great,. but I don't know if she can be relied on to be that good every time the team needs someone in the clutch.
Aubrey: I just haven't seen enough to justify the rave reviews I've heard on the BY. I sure hope you guys are right, because the team needs another athletic player.
Well, at least we’re not Lady Turtle fans. After getting spanked at home be SC, 8th ranked MD had to stage a furious 4th qtr comeback last night to defeat James Madison by 2 pts.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One thing in Tony's favor is that (as above, with the exception of Oregon) no one else looks so great either.

But my position is more closely aligned with Tom....Clearly at present, this is not a great team.
But there are two things that can improve it in a hurry...Olivia making virtually all the routine opportunities that she's handed...catching the incoming pass...and making the layup...that's perhaps 8 points in the 4th quarter alone.

And convincing, motivating, punishing the extraordinarily gifted Ms Williams to give it her all for the full 60 minutes (or however long the game is). I knew and worked with an Internationally acclaimed conductor, who could fall asleep (or at least in a trance), while conducting Beethoven's 4th (which is really quirky and interesting). When we toured with this work...I instructed my concertmaster to do a Gene Krupa (like Carnegie Hall was it '38, when he woke up the band by smashing all his drums like a madman for the Benny Goodman gala and saved the concert). sorry to be bringing up historical events.

If those two items come to pass, then the fifth starter or collection thereof will have the space to develop their games and the team will appear more solid.

Is it possible that Geno and the staff isn't aware of these rudimentary observations?...impossible.
So it will fall on CD and Shea to straighten the aforementioned out.

Oh, and Dangerfield will be fine.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
One thing in Tony's favor is that (as above, with the exception of Oregon) no one else looks so great either.

But my position is more closely aligned with Tom....Clearly at present, this is not a great team.
But there are two things that can improve it in a hurry...Olivia making virtually all the routine opportunities that she's handed...catching the incoming pass...and making the layup...that's perhaps 8 points in the 4th quarter alone.

And convincing, motivating, punishing the extraordinarily gifted Ms Williams to give it her all for the full 60 minutes (or however long the game is). I knew and worked with an Internationally acclaimed conductor, who could fall asleep (or at least in a trance), while conducting Beethoven's 4th (which is really quirky and interesting). When we toured with this work...I instructed my concertmaster to do a Gene Krupa (like Carnegie Hall was it '38, when he woke up the band by smashing all his drums like a madman for the Benny Goodman gala and saved the concert). sorry to be bringing up historical events.

If those two items come to pass, then the fifth starter or collection thereof will have the space to develop their games and the team will appear more solid.

Is it possible that Geno and the staff isn't aware of these rudimentary observations?...impossible.

He would wake me up!

Reaction Score
I want to WIN as much if not more than most of the BYers but having coached HS Wrestling for 32 years, the reality is there are years when your team, no matter what sport, is young/new and growth comes in small doses!
There are times in the last 4 games that I'll see the light go on and a player does some higher skill plays both on offense and defense!
But right now in time the "rookies" to Geno's & CD's system, are lost most of the time! That's why winning at the pace that our Huskies have is so hard! If it wasn't more teams would be playing like UCONN!
So as frustrating as some things get, please remember that "Rome wasn't built in a day!"
I promise you in March & April when it counts the most the Rookies will play like vets and they'll surprise you!
Take it from a really, really old coach, bet the farm!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There are times in the last 4 games that I'll see the light go on and a player does some higher skill plays both on offense and defense!
But right now in time the "rookies" to Geno's & CD's system, are lost most of the time! That's why winning at the pace that our Huskies have is so hard! If it wasn't more teams would be playing like UCONN!
So as frustrating as some things get, please remember that "Rome wasn't built in a day!"
I promise you in March & April when it counts the most the Rookies will play like vets and they'll surprise you!
Take it from a really, really old coach, bet the farm!
I'm with you on this one. If in the first few games there are flashes of brilliance, those flashes will become more and more frequent, until at the end of the season, when it counts most, it will be brilliance most of the time.

Reaction Score

Game is 40 minutes thanks for being a fan

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom